[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Programming Languages

robby@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert Spotts) (12/05/88)

  Does anyone know were I can obtain any programming languages for the Atari?
I currently am using Turbo BASIC XL(boo hiss) and I've TRIED a little Assembly.
I am interest in other programming languages such as C, Fortran, and Pascal.
My other concern is that I don't what to spend tons of $$$$ for them.  I have
heard that ANTIC mag others a C compiler for around $25.  Has anyone else heard
different?

					Rob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------    ** ** **
    ** ** **
   *** ** ***              Not Finished!!!
  ***  **  ***
***    **    ***

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) (12/06/88)

In article <2449@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> robby@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert Spotts) writes:

>  Does anyone know were I can obtain any programming languages for the Atari?
>I currently am using Turbo BASIC XL(boo hiss) and I've TRIED a little Assembly.
>I am interest in other programming languages such as C, Fortran, and Pascal.
>My other concern is that I don't what to spend tons of $$$$ for them.  I have
>heard that ANTIC mag others a C compiler for around $25.  Has anyone else heard
>different?

   Don't bother with Deep Blue C (the one offered by Antic); it is an antique.
Since it came out there have been two public compilers, Ace C and CC8, that are
much superior. Ace C comes with a complete linker package, but CC8 is a much
better compiler. You best bet is to get CC8 to compile your C programs and
Ace C to link them. There is also Lightspeed C, but I haven't seen it and it
costs money.
   Don't bother with Fortran. I have never seen it for the 8-bits and it is
an awful language anyway.
   A friend of mine gave me his copy of the Atari Pascal Development System,
and I quickly found out why: it is a piece of junk. Compile a 5 line program
and you end up with an 80-some block file which you then have to plug into a
runtime environment. It just isn't worth it. You might look into Kyan.
   If you want to do Atari-specific programs, you might try Action!. I have
never used it, but I have heard lots of good things about it.
   A while back, the author of CC8 contacted me. Since then, I seem to have
lost his address. If you (the author) are reading this, please drop me a line.
I would like to talk to you about something. Thanx.

					Gary Duzan
					Time  Lord
				    Third Regeneration
				 Atari Enthusiast Extreme

billk@meph.UUCP (Bill Kasper) (12/07/88)

Reply to: <2449@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>

>  Does anyone know were I can obtain any programming languages for the Atari?
>I currently am using Turbo BASIC XL(boo hiss) and I've TRIED a little Assembly.
>I am interest in other programming languages such as C, Fortran, and Pascal.
>My other concern is that I don't what to spend tons of $$$$ for them.  I have
>heard that ANTIC mag others a C compiler for around $25.  Has anyone else heard
>different?
>
>					Rob

I think that's "Deep Blue C", which I have a copy of.  For $25, its a pretty
good deal.  It's a subset of real K&R C, and has some draw backs (comments are
some non-standard character combos that I can't even remember).  And it compiles
slower than anything.  But, as far as I know its the only C game in Ataritown.

There was a language that was kind of a cross between Pascal and C called
Action! from (I think) Software Tools, Inc.  That was BY FAR the best language
product I ever saw for the 8 bitters.  The language was on a cartridge.
If you can find a copy of Action!, by all means grab it.

Fortran? I don't think so. Whocaresanyway?

Good luck.
"Sorry Venkman, I'm terrfied beyond the capacity for rational thought."
-- Egon Spengler

Disclaimer: I meant what I said and I said what I meant,
            responsibility is mine 100%.

Eric_Stewart_Plent@cup.portal.com (12/08/88)

 There are several Public Domain programming languages available for
the 8 bit computer. I have one called ACE C, which is a UNIX (I believe)
type C language complete with compiler, linker and some source code files.

 If you are interested in it, it is available on my bulletin board at
201-938-6906. Or, if there is some way I could upload it to you through
Portal I could do that (you would have to explain that process to me,
since I have been unable to find out how to do it on my own)

           Eric Plent

Addr: Eric_Stewart_Plent@cup.portal.com