[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Was Re: New Atari Home Video Game

soohoo@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ken Soohoo) (12/07/88)

In article <401926c9.1285f@maize.engin.umich.edu> billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steve Bollinger) writes:

>No video game that only supports one-button joysticks is worth $100.
>You need at least two to play reasonably complex games.
>
>-Steve

The Atari 7800 system has two buttons. The XE system has one button, which
seems to work just fine, and has never bothered me -- does anyone else
care to comment on the merits of more buttons? How about the merits of
different control mechanisms...

--Kenneth Soohoo	(soohoo@cory.Berkeley.Edu)
  Atari 400/800/600xl/800xl/1200/130xe/65xe, 1040ST hacker
  Sometime Berkeley Student, othertimes...
  My opinions are my OWN, not necessarily Atari's

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) (12/08/88)

-----------

Sure, I'll make a comment. I definitely prefer the feel of the old
"standard" one-button stick that's been around for years. I find it
much more useable than the control pads of most game systems. As for
the one-button argument, it's true that some games need more than one
button for good game play.....but that's no problem (or shouldn't be)
....the XEGS comes with a keyboard. It's been the standard with Atari
8-bit software for years and years to use the stick for direction and
firing, and including the tap of the space bar for smart bombs or
whatever.

							-Ray

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu

njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM (DiMasi) (12/08/88)

> --Kenneth Soohoo	(soohoo@cory.Berkeley.Edu) writes:
>
> In article <401926c9.1285f@maize.engin.umich.edu> billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steve Bollinger) writes:
>>
>>No video game that only supports one-button joysticks is worth $100.
>>You need at least two to play reasonably complex games.
>>
>>-Steve
>
> The Atari 7800 system has two buttons. The XE system has one button, which
> seems to work just fine, and has never bothered me -- does anyone else
> care to comment on the merits of more buttons? How about the merits of
> different control mechanisms...

Yes, I care to comment.  Although I don't have  much  experience  with
multi-button  joysticks to compare it to, I have found (in the 8 years
[I can't believe it!]  or so that I have been playing  with  Atari  8-
bits,   and briefly tried 2600 and Intellivision) that one button on a
joystick is quite enough.  I feel that  in  the   "heat   of   battle"
(assuming  a fast-paced  video  game,  which  most seem to be) that  I
would tend to become somewhat confused with > 1 button.  (3 buttons on
a mouse  seem to  be  too  many  for me,  although  I'm  again  not  a
vastly  experienced  "mouser".  This would especially be true if there
were no  commonality among  video  games  in  the  way that they  used
the  joystick  buttons.  "Which one is the fire button in Zorgblaster,
again?  I forgot."

About other control devices:  I am seriously thinking  about  spending
$10  or whatever for a reconditioned Atari (or after-market) Trakball.
What would I do with it?  Well, maybe use GOE  or  Diamond  in  "mouse
mode!"   It  should work, since (I have been told by Matt Ratcliff, an
8-bit "expert") Missile Command in Trakball  mode  works  with  an  ST
mouse!   (Some  people think, and they may be right, that the Trakball
needs a small [?] modification to work like an  ST  mouse...  talk/net
to/with  the  Michigan  Atari  Magazine folks... I don't know for sure
who's right.)

I have a Koala pad (which I bought used from  a  local  "defector"-to-
Macintosh)  with  one  button  in really bad shape - so I just use the
other.  It works a bit more clumsily for me, and I will fix it one  of
these  days (sure, eh?) but overall, I like it.  One can build (I read
in ANALOG  about  2  years  ago)  a  Koala-pad-emulation  joystick  (a
proportional  joystick) for the 8-bits, out of a R-Snack joystick pot.
and a very few parts (resistors and ?) I have not tried it, but one of
these  days....   (If  it  would  only  work with Flight Simulator - I
refuse to pay whatever-it-costs for a  custom  proport.  joystick  for
FS2,  when I can barely fly the thing [splash!  or, at DuPage airport,
crash!  I can't land it].)

On my Christmas wish list is a light gun (probably a Sega gun modified
to  work  with the 8-bits, better, I hear, than the Atari l-gun) and a
game to use it.  (So far, that == Barnyard Blaster, if  only  Crossbow
would be out sooner!)

I've said more than enough for now (and maybe for quite a  while  :-).
See you at your Atari dealer (:-).

Nick DiMasi       njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM    ...att!ihlpm!njd    DELPHI: TURBONICK
Uni'q Digital Technologies (Fox Valley Software subsidiary;
   ^          working as a contractor at AT&T Bell Labs in Naperville, IL)
(  | this is an accent mark, supposed to replace the dot over the 'i')

daryl@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Daryl Monge) (12/12/88)

In article <8060@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> soohoo@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Ken Soohoo) writes:
>In article <401926c9.1285f@maize.engin.umich.edu> billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steve Bollinger) writes:
>>No video game that only supports one-button joysticks is worth $100.
>>You need at least two to play reasonably complex games.
>The XE system has one button, which
>seems to work just fine, and has never bothered me -- does anyone else
>care to comment on the merits of more buttons? How about the merits of
>different control mechanisms...

One button joy sticks work just fine for any joystick controlled game.
In reference to "reasonably complex", I contend that a keyboard is
necessary for truly complex games, hence the XE is the clear winner.
In addition, you can put a disk on an XE, giving more storage (I am
playing Alternate Reality right now - six SSSD disks) and the ability
to do game SAVE, an important option for long, complex games.

Daryl Monge				UUCP:	...!att!ihcae!daryl
AT&T					CIS:	72717,65
Bell Labs, Naperville, Ill		AT&T	312-979-3603