[comp.sys.atari.8bit] a few questions...

SAGAPO@SBCCVM.BITNET (Ron Trenka) (01/20/88)

Okay... a few questions.....

      1) About the Upgrades for the 130XE, namely the 1 and 2 MEG, where
           can you find the directions for the mods?  How do they effect
           the 130XE in relation to program use?  What do you have to
           sacrifice?  I realize that there isn't a company that produces
           the mods and I will have to do most of the wiring myself, but
           I do a few things with electronics and I think I can hack it.

      2) The Multi-tasking program of Terry Conklin.  If you have more than
            128k..i.e. the above mentioned 1 meg... is it possible to set
            up the program to use more than 16k for a task?

      3) In answer to John R. Dunning's request for help to get the 8-bit
            software archives straightened out: I am here.  I need the progs
            to download from an IBM 3083 to a 130XE, but other than that, I
            am free.  How does UUNECODE work?  If it is not too much trouble,
            would someone explain how it works and possibly send me a copy?
            It would me much appreciated...

                                                       Thanx in advance,
                                                         Ron Trenka
                                                       SAGAPO at SBCCVM

The above statements are from my own mad delusions and do not represent
 anyone's opinion, including my own... 'Hold that thought...'

conklin@eecae.UUCP (Terry Conklin) (01/23/88)

>      1) About the Upgrades for the 130XE, namely the 1 and 2 MEG, where
>           can you find the directions for the mods?  How do they effect

Full directions for every upgrade mod ever produced are specially
maintained on the Club II BBS in Detroit. There are tons of mem-upgrade
files online. If anyone ever produces any upgraded-memory related PD
software/text, we'd appreciate it if you'd help the sys stay complete,
too. (313) 334-8877, 300/1200 baud. File area 29.

>      2) The Multi-tasking program of Terry Conklin.
>                                                         Ron Trenka

Whoa! I'm not the author, just Beta-testing it. And no, it's really
limited to 16K. Otherwise, you'd have an absurd jumble where software
was loaded onto 2 concurrent pages in RAM, software would be coded to be
_multiply_ assembled at the same (rotated 16K page) address, and youd
have to jump across pages. Arrgh, what a mess.

Terry Conklin

c60b-at@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (John Kawakami -0^0-) (01/23/88)

In article <5661@eecae.UUCP> conklin@eecae.UUCP (Terry Conklin) writes:
>>      2) The Multi-tasking program of Terry Conklin.
>>                                                         Ron Trenka
>Whoa! I'm not the author, just Beta-testing it. And no, it's really
>limited to 16K. Otherwise, you'd have an absurd jumble where software
>Terry Conklin

Just what is this multitasking program. Can we expect things like back-
ground spellchecks, or printspooling or r othr goodies like that???
AND, How fast is it?

BIW109@URIMVS.BITNET (01/09/89)

    Now that Bitnet has stopped sending me error messages, I have a
few questions...  1) Dos anyone out there have a schematic of the
1200XL computer??  I would be very interested in getting a copy of
one..  2) After seeing a friends okimate-20 printer, I began to wonder
if it is the same as the okimate-10, only white instead of black.
The interface and printhead connectors have the same number of pins,
and appear to be compatable.  The only difference is that the 24
element printhead of the okimate-20 has a "glue chip" (an integrated
circuit covered in some kind of black sealant).  The reason I asked
is it would be cheaper to simply buy the atari interface and a
new print head and plug them into my okimate-10.  Any ideas on what
might happen??  We plan on tring an experiment to see if the printer
itself is compatable by putting the commodore interface and 24 element
printhead in my okimate-10 and tring it on his computer (or putting
my interface in his printer and using it on the atari, either way).
Of, course, I will check some things first, such as the power supply
to the interface card...  The last thing I want to have happen is to
quote Bill Cosbey's dentist routine--  "smoke, smoke, smoke.... Fire!!"
I have been wanting better print quality for a while, and if this works
it could be a cheap way to get it (assuming I can find the atari
version of the plug-n-print card...).

                        Ray Courtois

Bitnet:  BIW109@URIMVS