[comp.sys.atari.8bit] DOS III to DOS 2.x

robby@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert Spotts) (01/05/89)

 Does anyone know how to transfer DOS III files to DOS II?

                             Rob S.

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) (01/05/89)

In article <2625@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> robby@vax1.acs.udel.EDU writes:

> Does anyone know how to transfer DOS III files to DOS II?
>
>                             Rob S.

   Go through DOS 2.5. There is a 2.5 utility to convert 3 -> 2.5. Since 2.5
is compatible with 2, that should do it.

					Gary Duzan
					Time  Lord
				    Third Regeneration
				 Atari Enthusiast Extreme

Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com (01/08/89)

(I haven't yet figured out how to get Portal to 'include' text of previous
postings... sigh...)

I once found myself needing to transfer files from DOS 3 format to DOS 2 format,
but without access to DOS 2.5 or any other "transfer utility" program.  I was
able to solve the problem by running a BASIC program that started out running
under DOS 3, read data from the "original" file into a buffer string, then
somehow (I have unfortunately forgotten the details but you might be able to
re-engineer it) warm-rebooted into DOS 2 without losing the data, then opened
a file (now under DOS 2) and wrote the data back out.  From the program's
point of view, it "transparently" READ one file, and WROTE another, using
DOS-version-independent OPEN, GET, and PUT statements -- but with the altera-
tion, in the middle, of the underlying DOS support, it wound up transferring
data from one format to the other.  (It is worth noting that transfers in the
OTHER direction did NOT work when I tried them; apparently DOS 3 boots up
differently from DOS 2, or its memory requirements are different, with the
result that the technique I used (I believe it was a USR call into the bootup
code of the OS) works ONLY in ONE direction, and not in the other.  This means
that you have to reboot anew into DOS 3 for each file you transfer.  Also, if
the file to be transferred is larger than the buffer memory size, you have to
transfer the file in several pieces (transfer the first N bytes; then reboot,
alter the program to SKIP the first N bytes of the file and transfer the NEXT
N bytes..) and then re-APPEND them under DOS 2 when you get them there.

All in all, it's probably EASIER for you to find an existing utility, but if
that pans out, this is one way to do the job with what you already have.

Chris Chiesa

   Formerly 'cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP'

vaughan@canisius.UUCP (Tom Vaughan) (01/10/89)

In article <2625@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, robby@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert Spotts) writes:

>  Does anyone know how to transfer DOS III files to DOS II?
>
>                              Rob S.

Try using the COPY32.com program that comes on the DOS 2.5 disk.  This
is its sole purpose in life.  :)