[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Microsoft BASIC

lackey@Alliant.COM (Stan Lackey) (04/02/88)

I recently saw a new? version of BASIC called like BASIC II by Microsoft
or something in my local software store.  The package doesn't try very hard
to sell it, though; all it has is slick marketing stuff, and no technical
information.  Does anyone know what it has in the way of value-added over
the standard Atari issue, and/or Turbo Basic?
-Stan

fireplace@cup.portal.com (04/04/88)

In article <1525@alliant.Alliant.COM>, lackey@Alliant.COM (Stan Lackey) asks
about ATARI Microsoft BASIC II.

ATARI Microsoft BASIC II is not new.  It was released in 1983 by ATARI, Inc.
It was the successor to ATARI Microsoft BASIC (disk).  The language is on a
16K cartridge, with extensions on disk.  It is a very complete and powerful
implementation of Microsoft BASIC, the so-called standard.

Remember, keep the 8-bit alive - PURCHASE SOFTWARE!    fireplace@cup.portal.com
And you know how painful that can be...     sun!portal!cup.portal.com!fireplace

~~SORRY, YOUR TERMINAL DOES NOT SUPPORT HOLOGRAPHIC IMAGES - GRAPHICS SKIPPED~~

usenet@shell.com (USENET News System) (04/06/88)

Yes, it is a very powerful implementation. I would recommend using it only
for limited idea testing, though. Seems like you get about 20k from after
as compatibility with other versions of MSB (my experience is with CP/M
MSB ), not too much has to be changed. Maybe the OPEN statments. And
a few other stuff (CP/M MSB does not have the atari graphics commands.)

 I used mine in grad school for calculations in E&M, and quantum. When I
 had the idea fully thought out, I'd translate the program to FORTRAN  and
 run it on the university mainframe.
From: svh@shell.com (Steve V. Hovater)

One thing you might notice, is that the syntax checking you may be accustomed to
in regular Atari Basic is not present in MSB 2 - it's done at runtime.
Which may or may not be to everyone's liking.

Disclaimer: These opinions are ordinarily my own, and couldn't possibly
	    reflect the views or opinions of my employer.

Steven V. Hovater
(713) 663-2711
..!{rice,sun,psuvax,ut-sally,ihnp4,soma}!shell!svh       svh@shell.com

will@fredonia.UUCP (James A. Will) (01/18/89)

Can anyone tell me where I can still but a Microsoft BASCI cartridge
and disk for an ATARI 800?  How much will it cost?

Thanks,

Jim		rutgers!sunybcs!fredonia!will

njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM (DiMasi) (01/19/89)

In article <1252@fredonia.UUCP>, will@fredonia.UUCP (James A. Will) writes:
> Can anyone tell me where I can still but a Microsoft BASCI cartridge
> and disk for an ATARI 800?  How much will it cost?

Yes!  From:

	Innovative Concepts (I.C.)
	31172 Shawn Dr.
	Warren, MI   48093

	Phone:  (313) 293-0730
	Compu$erve:  76004,1764

It is listed (I am looking at an excerpt of Zmag #139 dated ~1/10/89) as:

	Atari Corp.   Microsoft BASIC   "Price" = 79.95   "Special!" = 29.95

They say that ordering COD is best, but also take checks, M.O.  (checks took
~10 days to clear when I ordered from them earlier this month).

"Add $3.00 S&H.  COD (USA only) $2.20 extra.  Canada/Mexico, add $7.00 S&H ..."

(I am not affiliated with I.C. in  any  way,  just  a  [so  far]  satisfied
customer; I purchased YEMACYB/4 from them for printing color Koala pic's on
my Star Rainbow  printer  [Epson  JX80  "standard"  color].   [Electronical
Software  is  the  publisher  of YEMACYB/4, another Mich. outfit.  Is Mich.
Atari heaven in the USA?] I hope to print my 1st color pic. tonight...)

Nick DiMasi       njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM    ...att!ihlpm!njd    DELPHI: TURBONICK
Uni'q Digital Technologies (Fox Valley Software subsidiary;
   ^          working as a contractor at AT&T Bell Labs in Naperville, IL)
(  | this is an accent mark, supposed to replace the dot over the 'i')