[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Heat problem ???

tremblay@cg-atla.UUCP (Ken Tremblay) (01/06/89)

    I have an 800XL that seems to have a heat problem.  When the
  system is on for an hour an a half the screen starts giving me
  multiple characters flashing randomly.  Has anyone else seen
  this kind of problem ?  Could it be the RAM chips ?  The RAM in
  my system are NEC D4164C-15 and -3.  I can replace them if I knew
  what to replace them with, any ideas ?
                                            Thanks for any help.

--
         Compugraphic               cg-atla!tremblay
         200 Ballardvale

ajy2208@ultb.UUCP (A.J. Yarusso ) (01/08/89)

Ken,

   Are you sure the problem is in the computer?  I had a similiar
problem with one of my 800XL's a while back, and the solution was to get
a new power supply.  Now it works fine, and I never had to open the
computer (although it's been opened for other things... :)   )

   Albert Yarusso
   Bitnet: ajy2208@RITVAX.bitnet
   Usenet: ajy2208@ultb.RIT.edu

"Any smoothly functioning technology will have the appearance of magic"

bkbarret@sactoh0.UUCP (Brent K. Barrett) (01/08/89)

In article <6418@cg-atla.UUCP>, tremblay@cg-atla.UUCP (Ken Tremblay) writes:

>     I have an 800XL that seems to have a heat problem.  When the
>   system is on for an hour an a half the screen starts giving me
>   multiple characters flashing randomly.  Has anyone else seen
>   this kind of problem ?  Could it be the RAM chips ?  The RAM in

 I've seen exactly what you describe (provided you have an accurate
description, of course). I'd be willing to bet it's the 800xl power
supply, since that is what failed in my old system. They are hard
to come by in the Sacramento, CA area, but they may be easier where
you live (BTW, the 130Xe and 800XL power supplies are identical in
output).

--
 "Somebody help me! I'm trapped in this computer!"

 Brent Barrett ..pacbell!sactoh0!bkbarret GEMAIL: B.K.BARRETT

RCH@cup.portal.com (Ric C Helton) (01/08/89)

In reference to the question on the 800XL heating up and flashing
random characters on the screen...  I own an old 800 that no one can figure
out what is wrong with.  I had it serviced by American Technavision
(not a good experience) and they replaced all the RAM chips and
claimed to have it in tip-top shape.  It had been struck by lightning.

Well, the RAM cards had all jarred loose in shipping, so I plugged them
back in (remember that the 800 has multiple boards... XLs and XEs are all on
one board).  It seemed to work fine, but after it had warmed up (say,
about 15-20 minutes) the screen started displaying horizontal rows of
seemingly random characters, then switched graphics modes, and finally
went black all together.  After letting the 800 cool off, I turned it back on.
It worked fine for 10 minutes, then the same thing happened.

Our best guess was that a power transistor was going bad, or that some
screen RAM was bad.  We had it checked and reserviced... They couldn't find
anything wrong.  Then I had an idea.

I asked them what sort of power supply they were using.  They said they had a
special bench power supply that they used to test all equipment.  I was
unable to get any specs on it.  The 800 uses the same power supply that the
1050s and 810s (disk drives) use, with power rating given as 31 VA.  I
was thinking that possibly the overheating power transistor was drawing
more current than the power supply was
rated at, and that the special power supply used at the service place was
capable of delivering more amperage.  But I have been unable to determine
exactly how much current it would take, or to find a power supply that
was rated at higher than 31 VA (34, maybe? It is a weird rating, according to
a local electronic supply house.)

If you find anything out, and if indeed this is the same problem you are havin
having, let me know what happens via mail.
-Ric          RCH@cup.portal.com
      Freestyle BBS 404/546-8256

njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM (DiMasi) (01/10/89)

In article <611@sactoh0.UUCP>, bkbarret@sactoh0.UUCP (Brent K. Barrett) writes:
> In article <6418@cg-atla.UUCP>, tremblay@cg-atla.UUCP (Ken Tremblay) writes:
> >
> >     I have an 800XL that seems to have a heat problem.  When the
> supply, since that is what failed in my old system. They are hard
> to come by in the Sacramento, CA area, but they may be easier where
> you live (BTW, the 130Xe and 800XL power supplies are identical in
> output).

According to a transcript of a conference I read (or an  article,  I'm
not  entirely  sure which of umpteen places I read this), the older XL
power supplies were not rated (in terms of current) as  high  as   the
newer  ones   and   XE power supp.  This apparently caused some supply
burn-out problems for people with memory-upgraded  XL/XEs   who   also
had   P:R:   Connection   devices  (which  draw  power from the %V SIO
line), etc.  The upshot was that the newer  power  supplies  put   out
enough   current   to  cure  the  problems.  (1.5A vs. 1A ratings as I
recall...)

Nick DiMasi       njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM    ...att!ihlpm!njd    DELPHI: TURBONICK
Uni'q Digital Technologies (Fox Valley Software subsidiary;
   ^          working as a contractor at AT&T Bell Labs in Naperville, IL)
(  | this is an accent mark, supposed to replace the dot over the 'i')

jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (John R. Dunning) (01/16/89)

    Date: 7 Jan 89 19:07:00 GMT
    From: rochester!rit!ultb!ajy2208@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu  (A.J. Yarusso )

       Are you sure the problem is in the computer?  I had a similiar
    problem with one of my 800XL's a while back, and the solution was to get
    a new power supply.  Now it works fine, and I never had to open the
    computer (although it's been opened for other things... :)   )

I had a similar experience.  My girlfriend's 800XL was acting very
peculiar; screen changing brightness, random funny characters displayed,
wedging up for no apparent reason.  It turned out to be the poser supply
connector, it the little DIN plug that plugs into the back panel of the
machine.  Replacing the plug solved the problem.

csabrkap@ariel.unm.edu (Analog Daemon) (01/20/89)

>    Date: 7 Jan 89 19:07:00 GMT
>    From: rochester!rit!ultb!ajy2208@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu  (A.J. Yarusso )
>
>       Are you sure the problem is in the computer?  I had a similiar
>    problem with one of my 800XL's a while back, and the solution was to get
>    a new power supply.  Now it works fine, and I never had to open the
>    computer (although it's been opened for other things... :)   )

	There is another problem that will do this sometimes.  For
some reason Atari forgot how to solder for awhile (wave broke or
something).  Some machines have the most atrocious soldering ever and
this will sometimes break free and make a real mess.  It will often
masqurade as a thermal intermitent problem

	If changing P-supplies fails to solve the problem then check
the solder joints at the power socket, then on the ram chips
(specially if you have an upgrade) then the processors...

	Be seeing you
  ___________________________________  _________________________
 / They're growing mechanical trees  \/ csabrkap@ariel.unm.edu  \
|  they grow to thier full hieght,   /\_________________________/
|  then chop themselves      down... \/   The Analog Daemon     \
 \___________________________________/\_________________________/

Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com (01/21/89)

Hm, since we're all discussing heat-related problems...

My 800 began experiencing problems several years ago that gradually got
worse and worse.  First, most things ran fine EXCEPT AtariWriter -- THAT would
run fine MOST of the time, but would OCCASIONALLY go crazy, scrolling the
LEFT HALF ONLY of the editing screen (or, sometimes, popping up one or ano-
ther of the menu screens, and scrolling half of THAT) when any key was hit.
The problem was originally confined to occurring only at the main menu or
in the editing window, and only happened about 10% of the time.  A friend
with an 800XL experienced NO trouble running the SAME AtariWriter entity
(i.e., MINE in HIS machine worked fine).  Over the next few years the prob-
lem gradually got worse, until last summer when the temps were 100+ degrees,
when I found nearly EVERY program going visually insane after a certain time
of continuous machine operation.  Finally, even a short (2-sector!) graphics
demo of my own writing, would randomly bomb out, eliminating my early worry
that maybe something was wrong with the other, larger software packages I
had...

I took it to a service place that handled Ataris, but (gee, this sounds fa-
miliar) they couldn't find anything wrong with it.  Of course, they were
looking at it in an air-conditioned shop, whereas the problem occurred in
my un-AC'd apartment...

My solution?  I bought a used 800 XL from a friend, and mothballed the 800
against future hopes of diagnosis.

And my only gripe: found out several MONTHS later, that the service place
had neglected to re-install the five screws in the underside of the 800, that
hold the case together...  went back, they were nice about giving me screws,
but those turned out to be the WRONG ONES.  This all happened right before
I moved 600 mi. away, so I'm still short on those screws... sigh...

Good luck to y'all with YOUR problems.