[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Analog

"Mike_Beezley.Houston"@XEROX.COM.UUCP (11/19/87)

  o   ANALOG is slipping! But they will never catch the lack
  o   of quality that Antic now has. Antic is 1 bad publication!

Analog sure will give Antic a run for the money in bad customer
satisfaction.  After buying Analog and Antic on the newsstands for a
year I decided Analog was the better of the 2 magazines.  I subscribed
last December.  I have spent the last year writting letters to Analog
and making phone calls to Robin Levitsky trying to get my subscription
straightened out.  I have yet to get a single issue through normal
subscription channels.  I ususally wait 2 or 3 months and realize that
the mag just isn't going to show up and then give Robin a call and a
couple of weeks later my back issues show up.  All my letters get no
answers.  I have even sent a letter to the editors and I still have no
answer.  My magazines show up months late and there is no response from
the editor even attempting to explain why.

Analog's customer satisfaction rating is about as low as you can go.
You can bet that when they mail my renewal card to me I will ignore it
also.

__mike
"mbeez.houston".xerox.com

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) (03/13/88)

++++++++++++++

Seems to me I read a post here back around the middle of January
explaining that Analog had been bought out by a bigger company and
that we could expect a March issue to be out by the middle or end
of February. It's now the middle of March. Anybody hear anything
recently about Analog's L-O-N-G absence, and when, if ever, I can
expect a new issue to arrive in my mailbox???

			-Ray

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu

john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Thomas M Johnson) (03/15/88)

In article <Mar.12.15.39.14.1988.28108@topaz.rutgers.edu> wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) writes:

>Seems to me I read a post here back around the middle of January
>explaining that Analog had been bought out by a bigger company and
>that we could expect a March issue to be out by the middle or end
>of February. It's now the middle of March. Anybody hear anything
>recently about Analog's L-O-N-G absence, and when, if ever, I can
>expect a new issue to arrive in my mailbox???
>
>			-Ray

ANALOG is back. I just looked in my mail box and here it is!

On page 4 is a editoral by Lee Pappas and it just repeats the things
he said in the interview that was posted to this group. It starts off with:

"Hey, long time, no see."

The editorial never mentions who bought ANALOG just say "under new ownership."
But on the bottom of page 1: "ANALOG Computing is published monthly by
L.F.P. Inc."

It is 96 pages long and is now printed on a glossy paper. But it still isn't
bound, just the usual ANALOG staple.

It features a Action! game, a machine language game (they are printing the
source code for machine language games again) and a few BASIC programs.
They are still running the video games section for Atari, Sega and
Nintendo.  There is a article by Matthew Ratcliff called "Then and now"
and it is only about the 8-bits. History is given and the future is
guessed at. For those who don't know, Matt is a EXPERT on the 8-bits.

So ANALOG is back, everyone should be getting their issues soon.
				Tom Johnson
john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM (DiMasi) (03/15/88)

> Seems to me I read a post here back around the middle of January
> explaining that Analog had been bought out by a bigger company and
> that we could expect a March issue to be out by the middle or end
> of February. It's now the middle of March. Anybody hear anything
> recently about Analog's L-O-N-G absence, and when, if ever, I can
> expect a new issue to arrive in my mailbox???
----------------------------
I have good news!  ANALOG is mailing the April issues!  How do I know?
I just received mine this past Saturday (3/12)!

Yes, ANALOG has been bought by a bigger  company,  L.F.P.  Inc,  which
(I  guess  many  people  know now) is, I have read on Delphi, owned by
Larry Flynt of Hustler fame ("infame?").   The  content  looks  to  be
about  the   same,  although  the  mag.  seems  to  have shrunk a bit;
there seem to be at least one fewer regular columns.  But  given   the
problems  that  the ANALOG  staff  has had, I'm willing to give them a
while to get things back to normal.  To me at  least,  it  looks  very
much  the   same.    There seems to be the usual complement of type-in
programs, including part 2  (the  compiler)  of  "The  Wizard"   text-
adventure   construction   package.   Also,   there  is  the  1st in a
series of 3 articles (in the "Bits and Pieces" series of h/w articles)
about connecting one 8-bit to another, to  use  as  a  printer  buffer
(I  guess old 8-bits are cheaper than printer buffers?),  but  it's  a
very general look at Atari SIO etc.

The arrival of this "long-awaited" issue made my day!

Nick DiMasi
Uni'q Digital Technologies (Fox Valley Software subsidiary;
   ^          working as a contractor at AT&T Bell Labs in Naperville, IL)
(  | this is an accent mark, supposed to replace the dot over the 'i')

daryl@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Daryl Monge) (03/26/88)

I received the letter I am sure every one else is.  I was just about to
let the fiasco of the last several months slide when I read paragraph 3,
and I quote:

"In keeping with that goal [customer service] we have decided to extend your
subscription by three issues.  That's right, you will
receive absolutely free three additional issues."

(And a free ginzu knife? :-)

Damn straight they better give me the issues I paid for.  They decided -
DECIDED? - to extend my subscription?  That was too
patronizing for me and was the last straw.  And to top it off, my last ANALOG
was October, 1987.  (Is that consistent with other of you out there?)
(NOV, DEC, JAN, FEB, MARCH - hummmm: thats five, not three.......)

Daryl Monge				UUCP:	...!ihnp4!ihcae!daryl
AT&T					CIS:	72717,65
Bell Labs, Naperville, Ill		AT&T	312-979-3603

njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM (DiMasi) (03/29/88)

> Damn straight they better give me the issues I paid for.  They decided -
> DECIDED? - to extend my subscription?  That was too
> patronizing for me and was the last straw.  And to top it off, my last ANALOG
> was October, 1987.  (Is that consistent with other of you out there?)
> (NOV, DEC, JAN, FEB, MARCH - hummmm: thats five, not three.......)
I think that you misunderstand what the letter is saying.  You will receive
all the issues you paid for, PLUS three issues beyond that!  This is exactly
what the ANALOG folks said on the DELPHI Atari SIG earlier this year; the
letter just confirmed it for me.  The ANALOG folks (and their new bosses at
LFP Inc.) are not being patronizing, they are giving us something extra for
our trouble (a reward for our patience)!

atariman@bsu-cs.UUCP (Jeff Scott) (03/29/88)

In article <2814@ihlpe.ATT.COM> daryl@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Daryl Monge) writes:
>[...]
>"In keeping with that goal [customer service] we have decided to extend your
>subscription by three issues.  That's right, you will
>receive absolutely free three additional issues."
>Damn straight they better give me the issues I paid for.  They decided -
>DECIDED? - to extend my subscription?  That was too
>patronizing for me and was the last straw.  And to top it off, my last ANALOG
>was October, 1987.  (Is that consistent with other of you out there?)
		      ^^^^
		     Yep, that was the last issue I got before the current one.

	It seems as though you have misunderstood ANALOG's letter.  What they
meant was that you will recieve all of the issues that you have coming to you
plus three additional issues that you did not pay for.

	So, if you had 4 issues left before ANALOG went on it's lengthy
vacation, you should get 7 issues before you will have to re-subscribe.  So
you are getting 3 free issues.  "That's right, you will receive absolutely
free three additional issues."  Not just the end of your subscription
moved forward 3 months.

	It's not that clear-cut in the letter Flynt publishing sent out, but I
have heard the information more clearly on the ANALOG-run Atari group on
Delphi a couple months ago.

Jeff
--
   ._,   Jeff Scott         |    CI$:[73217,563]    |    Delphi:JEFFSCOTT
 ./ | \, Wilson Hall #45    | UUCP: atariman@bsu-cs.UUCP

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (02/02/89)

Well, I have let a few months go by after Analog started up again, and have
never seen one on the newsstand shelves.  Would one of you kind souls please
inform me how I would go about getting a subscription?  Or even the name of
a place that would sell them in eastern Mass.?
Thanks. -Stan