[comp.sys.atari.8bit] various questions and comments

SHAFFERJ@BKNLVMS.BITNET (Jim Shaffer) (02/03/89)

Excuse me for putting all of this into one message, but I'm on a 300-baud
terminal by long distance telephone and I'm trying to get things done in
a hurry...

(1)  I don't know for sure where the Internet archives are.  Can anyone
post the location?

(2)  About the person with the question about LISTSERV, whose address
got munged by someone's mailer:
I'll try to check on the problems, but as I said I'm not physically at
Bucknell now.  I'll let you know what I find over the weekend, I hope.
Sorry for the inconveniences.

(3)  Can anyone tell me where I can get a program called
The Atari Planetarium?  I tried to buy it from MicrOTyme and ComputAbility,
but both of them say that they no longer stock it, despite advertising it
for months (in one case, they still are!)

(4)  My annual question:  Does ANYONE out there use a language called
Advan BASIC ?  If you do, I'd like to hear from you!

(5)  Anyone know if the new Atari DOS is out yet?  I read somewhere
(I've forgotten where) that it was, but the February issue of ANALOG says
that it isn't.  What's going on?!  And when it does come out, will we have
to pay full price or will there be some sort of trade-in policy like
the change from 3.0 to 2.5?

Post or mail any comments or further questions.
If this address disappears (though I'm not expecting it), try
shafferj@amethyst.bucknell.edu

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (02/06/89)

In article <8902030445.AA05491@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> SHAFFERJ@BKNLVMS.BITNET (Jim Shaffer) writes:
>(5)  Anyone know if the new Atari DOS is out yet?  I read somewhere
>(I've forgotten where) that it was, but the February issue of ANALOG says
>that it isn't.  What's going on?!
That's interesting... the latest (Feb?) issue of Antic says it is, has a
review of it, and gives an address to write to.  Costs $10, and I expect
to order it tonight.  It is called DOS XE, but I think it works with
XL's as well.  Not 400/800 - it makes extensive use of RAM under the ROM;
there is no DUP.SYS to swap in and out.  Has subdirectories, and supports
the XF551 (the new floppy), which is my major interest.
-Stan

jwt@atari.UUCP (Jim Tittsler) (02/07/89)

in article <8902030445.AA05491@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, SHAFFERJ@BKNLVMS.BITNET (Jim Shaffer) says:

> (5)  Anyone know if the new Atari DOS is out yet?  I read somewhere
> (I've forgotten where) that it was, but the February issue of ANALOG says
> that it isn't.  What's going on?!  And when it does come out, will we have
> to pay full price or will there be some sort of trade-in policy like
> the change from 3.0 to 2.5?

Yes, the Atari DOS XE diskette and manual are available from the Customer
Relations Department ($10 + $3.50 S&H).  A demonstration copy has been
sent to each of the user groups, so you may be able to check it out before
ordering.

DOS XE works only with the XL and XE series of Atari 8bit computers (i.e.
it does NOT work with the original 400 and 800).  A portion of the operating
system is stored under the ROMs to keep MEMLO down to a "compatible" level.

Jim Tittsler, Systems Engineer, Atari Corp.  {ames, portal}!atari!jwt
1196 Borregas Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA  94089