[comp.sys.atari.8bit] The ZMAG/ST Report Mailing List

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) (01/10/89)

    Well, I hate to be the bearer of ill tidings, but the local system
administrators have gotten fed up with the load the mailing list places on our
local. Therefore, I'm afraid the ZMAG/ST Report mailing list has come to an
end. It was fun while it lasted. I hope you all manage to find the mags on
your local boards or the pay systems. If anyone else would like to take over
the mailing list, let me know & we can work something out.

					Gary Duzan
					Time  Lord
				    Third Regeneration
				 Atari Enthusiast Extreme

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (01/12/89)

  Hey Gary!
  My mail keeps bouncing back from your address.  I am willing to take over at
least a portion of the mailing list (say 4-5 names and everyone on Portal).
If we can get a group together we can still distribute the Zmag via the net.
Another possible solution is to just post the thing to the net.  I prefer the
second solution myself and I think most of the others who read this newsgroup
would also prefer that.

njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM (DiMasi) (01/14/89)

In article <13428@cup.portal.com>, Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) writes:

>   Hey Gary!
> Another possible solution is to just post the thing to the net.  I prefer the
> second solution myself and I think most of the others who read this newsgroup
> would also prefer that.

I would, as I don't have any other reliable way (short of dialing up Paybax
BBS or whatever long distance, which I'm not desperate enough to do) to get
Zmag.  It is supposed to be on DELPHI but Kovacs (who is on there) rarely puts
them up.  (I suppose I could nag him about it again...)

If a mailing list ends up started again, I would be willing to "trade" Chicago
Zmag/a\zine's for Kovacs' Zmags.  (I sent Gary one, and could send more but
if he has machine space problems, well....)

Nick DiMasi       njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM    ...att!ihlpm!njd    DELPHI: TURBONICK
Uni'q Digital Technologies (Fox Valley Software subsidiary;
   ^          working as a contractor at AT&T Bell Labs in Naperville, IL)
(  | this is an accent mark, supposed to replace the dot over the 'i')

RCH@cup.portal.com (Ric C Helton) (01/15/89)

Gary:  I agree with Ordania-DM; post the ZMAG to the net;  Talk about
busting the signal:noise ratio.  I think it is a quality report, and have
seen a lot longer and more useless postings!!!

-Ric Helton
RCH@cup.portal.com

rjung@nunki.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (01/16/89)

Count me as another net.person who would like to see ZMag/ST Report/ST-Mag
posted to the net (Should they be cross-posted for the comp.sys.atari.*
groups, or posted individually to each one?)

						--R.J.
						B-)

                 Disclaimer: This message was written with my authorization
      # ## #
      # ## #     Mailing address: rjung@nunki.usc.edu
     ## ## ##          (It's easier to just use the reply function, tho)
  ####  ##  ####

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (01/16/89)

Nick DiMasi mentioned:
>...I would be willing to "trade" Chicago Zmag/a\zine's for Kovacs' Zmags.

Are they still doing that one out of Chicago..?

BobR

Makey@LOGICON.ARPA (Jeff Makey) (01/16/89)

In article <2355@nunki.usc.edu> rjung@nunki.usc.edu (Robert  allen Jung) writes:
>(Should they be cross-posted for the comp.sys.atari.*
>groups, or posted individually to each one?)

I didn't find the ZMAGs posted a few months ago to be particularly
interesting, but if other people like it then I won't be upset to see
it posted again.  It would be a lot better if the 8-bit and ST
portions of ZMAG were *not* crossposted.  I suspect that a majority of
Atari owners are only interested in one model or the other, not both.

                           :: Jeff Makey

Department of Tautological Pleonasms and Superfluous Redundancies Department
    Disclaimer: Logicon doesn't even know we're running news.
    Internet: Makey@LOGICON.ARPA    UUCP: {nosc,ucsd}!logicon.arpa!Makey

ajy2208@ultb.UUCP (A.J. Yarusso ) (01/17/89)

I also would like to see ZMAG/ST and ST Report posted to the net.  There
are many Atari ST and 8-bit owners here at RIT who I'm sure wouldn't
mind seeing them posted here.

 Albert Yarusso, Rochester Institute of Technology

 Bitnet:  ajy2208@ritvax.bitnet  (preferred)
 Usenet:  ajy2208@ultb.RIT.edu

"Old programmers never die, they just branch to a new address"

steve@pnet51.cts.com (Steve Yelvington) (01/17/89)

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) writes:

>  Hey Gary!
>  My mail keeps bouncing back from your address.  I am willing to take over at
>least a portion of the mailing list (say 4-5 names and everyone on Portal).
>If we can get a group together we can still distribute the Zmag via the net.
>Another possible solution is to just post the thing to the net.  I prefer the
>second solution myself and I think most of the others who read this newsgroup
>would also prefer that.

No! This already has been proposed, discussed and soundly rejected.
The last thing I need is that babble tying up phone lines and overflowing my
disk drive. Please do NOT post Zmag to comp.sys.atari.st.

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!steve
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!steve@nosc.mil
INET: steve@pnet51.cts.com
  -----------
  -or-
  stag!thelake!steve@pwcs.StPaul.GOV
  "A member of STdNET -- the ST Developers' Network"

Jan@cup.portal.com (Martha L Dycus) (01/17/89)

I, too, would like to see Zmag posted to the Net

dav@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (William David Haas) (01/18/89)

I wouldnt mind seeing it posted.
                                                                 _
"Shadow, do something!  Those flying       Morpheous            / \
 birds are going to get us!"               Psimon              / _ \
                                           shadow master      / //\ \
"O.k., o.k., I'll cast                      Dav El II        / // \\ \
 Transmute Roc to mud."                                     / /____\\ \
                                           We are the      /________\\ \
                                           warrior spirit. \__________\/

ajy2208@ultb.UUCP (A.J. Yarusso ) (01/18/89)

I also believe that the ST/Zmag & ST Report should only be posted in one
area, not both the ST and 8-bit areas.  Since they are both ST related
publications it seems obvious that they should be posted in
comp.sys.atar.8bit!

Oh, by the way..  I am interested in both ST's and 8-bits alike..  I run
a BBS system on my 8-bit (130XE, R-Time 8, 1Meg MIO, 2 20 meg hard
drives, Adaptek 4000a, XEP80, soon Sparta X, two monitors, and Carina II
BBS software).  And sitting right next to my 8-bit is my roommate's Mega
ST2..  :)

 Albert Yarusso, Rochester Institute of Technology

  Bitnet:  ajy2208@ritvax.bitnet  (preferred)
  Usenet:  ajy2208@ultb.RIT.edu

If anyone wants to call the BBS, the # is 716-475-4088!  3/12/2400 bauD

steve@pnet51.cts.com (Steve Yelvington) (01/18/89)

The system administrator here at pnet51 (People-Net node 51, Minneapolis) has
offered to bounce Z-Mag/ST Report to a mailing list. This would avoid the
problems that would come from dumping the magazine into a discussion newsgroup
such as comp.sys.atari.st.

First, I need to hear from someone who can mail it here. After that's set up,
"subscriptions" can be taken.

Incidentally, pnet51 is PC-Pursuitable (612-929-6699). I also can put the
files in my directory, which is publicly accessible.

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!steve
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!steve@nosc.mil
INET: steve@pnet51.cts.com
  -----------
  -or-
  stag!thelake!steve@pwcs.StPaul.GOV
  "A member of STdNET -- the ST Developers' Network"

RCH@cup.portal.com (Ric C Helton) (01/18/89)

I agree with Jeff Makey... I think most Atari owners are only infatuated
with the machine they are currently using... Be that ST or 8-bit.  I vote
against cross-posting....

-Ric Helton      RCH@cup.portal.com        Freestyle BBS 404/546-8256
Athens, GA                                 (2-FAST FORWARD) Co-sysop

colas@mirsa.inria.fr (Colas NAHABOO) (01/18/89)

From article <494@orbit.UUCP>, by steve@pnet51.cts.com (Steve Yelvington):
> Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) writes:
>>Another possible solution is to just post the thing to the net.>
> No! This already has been proposed, discussed and soundly rejected.

Yes! Do not forget us, non-US citizens who cannot get infos on the US BBS!!!
Post ST report and STZmag to comp.sys.atari.st, Zmag to comp.sys.atari.8bit!

Colas NAHABOO       BULL Research FRANCE -- Koala Project
                    (GWM X11 Window Manager)
    Internet:       colas@mirsa.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Colas NAHABOO, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.77.71

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (01/19/89)

earlier article...
  I never saw that discussion and I have been reading this newsgroup for 6
months now.  So far the requests for the ZMAG posting have been all favorable
except yours.  There seems to be no reason not to post ZMAG that I can see; as
has been said before and will be again...just use whatever feature you have
available to SKIP the ZMAG posting.  Since you are with some ST organization
(I saw it in your signature) I suspect you are against posting of the ST mag.
On that issue we agree...I'd much prefer the ST just died and we could get
on with the development of a REAL computer! :)  Such as the Atari 8/16 bit
line. :)

  Views and opinions change with time; since yours is the only view opposing
the posting, I think it fair that we go with the majority and start posting
the ZMAG.

(off the soapbox..only cuz it slipped out from beneath me)

 Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com

gl8f@bessel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (01/19/89)

In article <96@mirsa.inria.fr> colas@mirsa.inria.fr (Colas NAHABOO) writes:

>Yes! Do not forget us, non-US citizens who cannot get infos on the US BBS!!!
>Post ST report and STZmag to comp.sys.atari.st, Zmag to comp.sys.atari.8bit!

Posting ST Report and Zmag and STZmag to the net was rejected earlier, it
seems, because they include advertising. If someone would take over the
mailing list, then you could still receive the mags for free over the
net. I sent mail to the old distributor (gary?) volunteering to take
over the list; I received no answer. If someone could obtain the mags
each week and mail them to me, I could restart the list.

-- greg

------
Greg Lindahl                |      Graduate School:
gl8f@virginia.{edu,bitnet}  |      It's not just a job,
..!uunet!virginia!gl8f     |      It's an indenture.

steve@pnet51.cts.com (Steve Yelvington) (01/21/89)

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) writes:

>earlier article...
>  I never saw that discussion and I have been reading this newsgroup for 6
>months now.  So far the requests for the ZMAG posting have been all favorable
>except yours.  There seems to be no reason not to post ZMAG that I can see; as
>has been said before and will be again...just use whatever feature you have
>available to SKIP the ZMAG posting.  Since you are with some ST organization
>(I saw it in your signature) I suspect you are against posting of the ST mag.
>On that issue we agree...I'd much prefer the ST just died and we could get
>on with the development of a REAL computer! :)  Such as the Atari 8/16 bit
>line. :)
>
>  Views and opinions change with time; since yours is the only view opposing
>the posting, I think it fair that we go with the majority and start posting
>the ZMAG.
>
>(off the soapbox..only cuz it slipped out from beneath me)
>
> Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com

Let me reiterate the arguments against posting the magazine to a newsgroup:

* It's not in character. Newsgroups promote group discussion. The Zmags are
not discussion; the Zmag editors and contributors are not even on the net.

* It's a commercial enterprise that carries advertising, which conflicts with
the noncommercial, cooperative nature of the network.

* It's excessively long. Some of us run UUCP nodes on SMALL systems -- I run
mine on two floppies -- and some of us have rather tenuous network
connections. Obviously that isn't a problem for those of you on Portal (a
commercial system), but Usenet consists of five to ten thousand sites with
widely varying capabilities.

* There really isn't very much interest in it. I posted an offer a few days
ago to set up a mailing list for e-mail distribution of the Zmag. So far I
have received exactly ONE reply. (The offer still stands.)

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!steve
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!steve@nosc.mil
INET: steve@pnet51.cts.com
  -----------
  -or-
  stag!thelake!steve@pwcs.StPaul.GOV
  "A member of STdNET -- the ST Developers' Network"

dag@per2.UUCP (Daniel A. Glasser) (01/21/89)

A suggestion:

Two moderated groups, comp.sys.atari.st.mag and comp.sys.atari.8bit.mag,
(or a single group, comp.sys.atari.mag) could be created, and all "magazine"
postings would go into these/this group(s).

The debate over commercial content in these magazines aside, this would
separate the magazines so that they could be archived separately and sites
that do not want to carry these magazines could so choose without disrupting
the normal comp.sys.atari.st and comp.sys.atari.8bit traffic.

Note:
  I am not volunteering to run the debate or votes on this idea, nor to
  moderate any group created.

Thanks,

  Albert Yarusso

  Bitnet : ajy2208@ritvax.bitnet (preferred)
  Usenet : ajy2208@ultb.RIT.edu

preston@felix.UUCP (Preston Bannister) (01/24/89)

From article <511@orbit.UUCP>, by steve@pnet51.cts.com (Steve Yelvington):

[ ...writes about why "ZMAG" isn't really appropriate material to be posted
  to Usenet... ]

I also would rather NOT see "ZMAG" posted here.

I read the issues posted and saw nothing of interest that I hadn't already
seen elsewhere.

I would suggest that "ZMAG" be distributed by mailing list (or some other
mechanism) because of the large posting size, the limited interest, and the
advertising.

(Just my 2 cents :-)
--
Preston L. Bannister
USENET	   :	hplabs!felix!preston

frankg@nikhefk.UUCP (Frank Geerling) (01/24/89)

Add me on the mailing list. Thanks

			   Frank Geerling
			(frankg@nikhefk.uucp)

Usenet:		{seismo, philabs, decvax}!mcvax!frankg@nikhefk

Normal mail:	Frank Geerling
		NIKHEF-K (PIMU)
		Postbus 4395
		1009 AJ Amsterdam
		The Netherlands

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (01/24/89)

In article <511@orbit.UUCP> steve@pnet51.cts.com (Steve Yelvington) writes:
>Let me reiterate the arguments against posting the magazine to a newsgroup:

>* It's not in character. ..
>* It's a commercial enterprise that carries advertising, ...
>* It's excessively long. ...
>* There really isn't very much interest in it. ...

and he expands on these four ideas.  However, there is an answer
to each of these comments and I will give the short version
of each.  In separate posting, I proposed the creation of a new
group "comp.sys.atari.newsletter", specifically for things like
ZMag, ST Rpt, Lustletter, and if we are lucky, others.

 (1)	Things can and do change
 (2)	So what?  I know that commercials have been on the net for
	years; a few blatent, many subtle.
 (3)	No one is forced to subscribe to the newsletter group.
 (4)	The evidence Steve gives is flawed by the fact that most believe
	there is a better way.  Perhaps if they are forced into a corner,
	they will take up his offer to run a mailing list.

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

gl8f@bessel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (01/25/89)

In article <489@nikhefk.UUCP> frankg@nikhefk.UUCP (Frank Geerling) writes:

>Add me on the mailing list. Thanks

People who _POST_ a request to be added to the mailing list will be
IGNORED. Do NOT bore the entire net and waste lots of money by posting
items which should be mailed.

-- greg

(p.s. I'm not normally like this, but I have a qualifying exam this
      Saturday :-)

------
Greg Lindahl                |      Graduate School:
gl8f@virginia.{edu,bitnet}  |      It's not just a job,
 ...!uunet!virginia!gl8f    |      It's an indenture.

The-Sorcerer@cup.portal.com (Douglas P Dionne) (01/26/89)

Please add me to the mailing list for ST Zmag (if one is ever created).

Thanks,
the-sorcerer@cup.portal.com
Douglas P. Dionne

merlin@bsu-cs.UUCP (Scott McPheeters) (01/26/89)

In article <2050@water.waterloo.edu>, ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
> In separate posting, I proposed the creation of a new
> group "comp.sys.atari.newsletter", specifically for things like
> ZMag, ST Rpt, Lustletter, and if we are lucky, others.

	I agree with this idea very much. This way no one would have to see
the posting if they did not want to and those of us whose system managers get
mad for a large mail message every week!!!!!

------------
Scott McPheeters
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!merlin
merlin@bsu-cs.UUCP

Greg Lindahl writes:

> People who _POST_ a request to be added to the mailing list will be
> IGNORED....
[rest deleted]

Obviously not, Greg.  After all, *you* replied.

the-sorcerer@cup.portal.com
Douglas P. Dionne

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (01/27/89)

In article <511@orbit.UUCP> steve@pnet51.cts.com (Steve Yelvington) said
about ZMAG:
	* It's a commercial enterprise that carries advertising, ...

To which, ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) replied:
> (2)	So what?  I know that commercials have been on the net for
>	years; a few blatent, many subtle.

Starting a newsgroup especially for a commercial enterprise would
be a bad idea.   I for one will not accept or forward articles to
such groups.   That's not what Usenet is all about and I doubt
whether very many Sysadmins are going to pay for somebody elses
commercial project.  It doesn't belong here - take it someplace else.
--
David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.UUCP)	| "Lester Moore - Four slugs from a .44
Beckemeyer Development Tools		|  no Les, no more."

frankg@nikhefk.UUCP (Frank Geerling) (01/31/89)

In article <13947@cup.portal.com> The-Sorcerer@cup.portal.com (Douglas P Dionne) writes:
>Please add me to the mailing list for ST Zmag (if one is ever created).

Me to !!
			   Frank Geerling
			(frankg@nikhefk.uucp)

Usenet:		{seismo, philabs, decvax}!mcvax!frankg@nikhefk

Normal mail:	Frank Geerling
		NIKHEF-K (PIMU)
		Postbus 4395
		1009 AJ Amsterdam
		The Netherlands

			   Frank Geerling
			(frankg@nikhefk.uucp)

Usenet:		{seismo, philabs, decvax}!mcvax!frankg@nikhefk

Normal mail:	Frank Geerling
		NIKHEF-K (PIMU)
		Postbus 4395
		1009 AJ Amsterdam
		The Netherlands

ralph@laas.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (02/03/89)

Why do these requests to be added to a mailing list (which doesn't
exist yet) get posted to the net??

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.laas.fr			   Addresses are ordered by importance.

gl8f@bessel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (02/05/89)

In article <285@laas.laas.fr> ralph@laas.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) writes:

>Why do these requests to be added to a mailing list (which doesn't
>exist yet) get posted to the net??

The mailing list does exist. People can subscribe by sending me mail.
However, some people have been posting requests to get added to the
list. I ignore all such postings (unless I flame them :-) in an attempt
to keep their volume down.

------
Greg Lindahl                |      Graduate School:
gl8f@virginia.{edu,bitnet}  |      It's not just a job,
 ...!uunet!virginia!gl8f    |      It's an indenture.

stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (holly) (02/07/89)

Actually a vote was taken on whether ZMag and/or ST Report should be
posted to the group.  It was decided that it was not in the net's best
interest to do so, and I for one don't feel that has changed.  As long as
they are and with the frequency they're released, that's an incredible
load to the network.  If need be, perhaps start a separate newsgroup
and let individual sites decide, but please don't put comp.sys.atari.st
at risk.  Both are available on MANY BBSs, as well as GEnie, CompuServe
and other pay services.

dav@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (William David Haas) (02/07/89)

In article <285@laas.laas.fr> ralph@laas.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) writes:

>Why do these requests to be added to a mailing list (which doesn't
>exist yet) get posted to the net??

IT DOESN'T EXIST?!?!?   gee... i wonder where all that stuff in my mailbox
is coming from... its say ZMAG on it..... hmmm.... curious

                                                                 _
"Shadow, do something!  Those flying       Morpheous            / \
 birds are going to get us!"               Psimon              / _ \
                                           shadow master      / //\ \
"O.k., o.k., I'll cast                      Dav El II        / // \\ \
 Transmute Roc to mud."                                     / /____\\ \
                                           We are the      /________\\ \
                                           warrior spirit. \__________\/

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (02/08/89)

  RE: ZMAG (AND OTHER MAGS)

  Usenet is not supposed to be used for commercial advertisements.  Having
checked the issues of Zmag that I have, I found that they do contain some
advertisements and therefore shouldn't be posted.  So that alone should limit
the discussion of posting it here or in a new newsgroup.

Ordania-DM
  @cup.portal.com

RCH@cup.portal.com (Ric C Helton) (02/10/89)

Anyone else notice that we could have already posted several copies
of Zmag to the net in the space we've devoted to debating it...?

-Ric Helton   RCH@cup.portal.com   Freestyle BBS 404/546-8256