[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Atari 800XL Parallel Bus Documentation

ajy2208@ultb.UUCP (A.J. Yarusso ) (01/31/89)

The following is a message from Dennis Beach at Purdue..  He does not have
authorization to post to the net, so I am relaying this for him:

    For a long time I have been wanting to experiment with the parallel port
in the back of my 800XL.  However, I can't find any info whatsoever about
it.  I have the XL supplements to the tech notes, but it doesn't even mention
the port.  I would like to know what locations control the port, and what
each pin does.  Also, is there a standard type of jack that will plug into the
port?  If so, what is it called so I can ask for one in a store?  I would be
greatly appreciative if anyone could give me this information or tell me where
I could find it.

                        - Dennis Beach
                            fwj@mentor.cc.purdue.edu
                              Atari hardware hacker

rbharding@orchid.waterloo.edu (Ron Harding) (02/01/89)

In article <307@ultb.UUCP> ajy2208@ultb.UUCP (A.J. Yarusso (713ICS)) writes:
>The following is a message from Dennis Beach at Purdue..  He does not have
>authorization to post to the net, so I am relaying this for him:
>
>    For a long time I have been wanting to experiment with the parallel port
>in the back of my 800XL.  However, I can't find any info whatsoever about
>it. . . I would be greatly appreciative if anyone could give my this
>information or tell me where I could find it.
>
>                        - Dennis Beach
>                            fwj@mentor.cc.purdue.edu
>                              Atari hardware hacker

    I've seen a fair bit of stuph about it scatterred around in _Mapping the
Atari_ from Compute! Books (The older editions have nothing on it).  I only
have an old-style 800 (considerably modified), so I haven't been able to
verify any of it.
    It think the XL ROM's are supposed to look at the port for some ROM, and,
if it is there, it is banked switched onto the place where the floating-
point library usually is, and executed.  You can make it install a new device
driver that way.  Very convenient (compared to AUTORUN.SYS files).
    I don't remember any of its other capabilities.  This is all from memory,
so don't quote me on it.

                                 Ron Harding.

ehs@jumbo.dec.com (Ed Satterthwaite) (02/01/89)

There was a series of articles in Antic about the XL parallel bus
interface.  Here are the notes that I made at the time:

The Parallel Bus Revealed
	Earl Rice
	Antic, January 1985, 45-47, 75	(generic device handler)
	Antic, February 1985, 68-71	(hardware interface)
	Antic, March 1985, 69-72, 76	(design of serial I/O board)
	Antic, April 1985, 49-52, 78	(ditto, plus software driver)

	Specifications for the parallel bus interface and Generic Parallel
        Device Handler provided in XL-series machines.  Example project
	is hardware (USART) and software (MAC/65) for a serial interface.
	All articles are full of obvious typos, esp. the diagrams.

I think Earl Rice had been associated with Atari engineering.  As I
recall, the articles were not exactly lucid but started making sense after
several readings.  I don't know if or how back issues of Antic are
available.

Ed Satterthwaite
ehs@src.DEC.COM or {...}!decwrl!ehs

ken@hpclkms.HP.COM (Kenneth Sumrall) (02/02/89)

/ hpclkms:comp.sys.atari.8bit / ajy2208@ultb.UUCP (A.J. Yarusso ) / 12:33 pm  Jan 30, 1989 /
>    For a long time I have been wanting to experiment with the parallel port
>in the back of my 800XL.  However, I can't find any info whatsoever about
>it.  I have the XL supplements to the tech notes, but it doesn't even mention
>the port....

A few years back either Analog or Antic published a four part series on
interfacing to the parallel port on the XL.  It doesn't mention the XE
parallel port, but it does present a full details for building an RS-232
port that runs over the parallel port, including hardware, and software
drivers.  I don't remember the issues, but if you need to know, I have them
at home and can look it up for you.

Ken "Parallel ports do it 8 at a time" Sumrall
ken%hpclove@hplabs.hp.com
...!hplabs!hpclove!ken

P.S.  My failing memory thinks that it was Antic magazine in the Jan. thru
Apr. issues of 1985, but I could be mistaken.

dlm@druhi.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) (02/07/89)

in article <1270016@hpclkms.HP.COM>, ken@hpclkms.HP.COM (Kenneth Sumrall) says:
> A few years back either Analog or Antic published a four part series on
> interfacing to the parallel port on the XL.  It doesn't mention the XE
> parallel port, but it does present a full details for building an RS-232
> port that runs over the parallel port, including hardware, and software
> drivers.  I don't remember the issues, but if you need to know, I have them
> at home and can look it up for you.

	The articles did *not* describe the parallel expansion bus on
the XL.  They described the bus in the 1090 expansion box which has
several differences (buffers, power, a couple of new signals).  You can
use the information to figure out what is actually on the expansion bus
just don't expect it to be a 100% match.  The software driver information
applies to both the expansion bus and to the 1090 bus.

	I don't think Atari ever "officially" released any info on the
expansion bus.  There was a very nice manual written up on the XL (OS,
hardware, etc) but it died about the time Jack bought Atari.

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver
				dlm@druhi.ATT.COM
				dlm@druwy.ATT.COM

DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) (02/08/89)

	In article <3885@druhi.ATT.COM>, dlm@druhi.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) writes:

>in article <1270016@hpclkms.HP.COM>, ken@hpclkms.HP.COM (Kenneth Sumrall) says:
[Info regarding articles from ANTIC or ANALOG about XL parallel port deleted]

>	The articles did *not* describe the parallel expansion bus on
>the XL.  They described the bus in the 1090 expansion box which has
>several differences (buffers, power, a couple of new signals).  You can
>use the information to figure out what is actually on the expansion bus
>just don't expect it to be a 100% match.  The software driver information
>applies to both the expansion bus and to the 1090 bus.

	Both MAPPING THE ATARI (Revised Edition -- which I refer to as MTA+)
and the articles themselves (ANTIC) portrayed the diagrams/information as
pertaining to the XL bus (known as the Parallel Bus Interface - PBI).  No
where in the articles is the 1090 even mentioned.  BTW, MTA+ says the
information is from the ANTIC articles.  ANALOG also had an article on
adding 2K (of static RAM) to a 600XL.  I did discover a difference between
the pin-outs in the ANTIC article(s) and the ANALOG article.  (I suspect that,
in fact, the pin-out from the ANTIC article WAS the 1090 pin-out, and the
pin-out in the ANALOG article was from the PBI, itself.  Can anyone confirm/
disprove this?)  If anyone needs them, I can supply months and pages from both
magazines.  (The mags are in my apt. and I'm at work, so they're not currently
accessible.  I just looked through the ANTIC articles last night.  I wish I
had written that stuff down...20/20 hindsight, as usual.)

>	I don't think Atari ever "officially" released any info on the
>expansion bus.  There was a very nice manual written up on the XL (OS,
>hardware, etc) but it died about the time Jack bought Atari.

	I have heard of several people claiming to have the XL Addendum to
the Technical Reference Notes, or some such thing.  I would be very interested
to know where one could pick these up.  On the other hand, the manual that
comes with the XE (at least the 130XE; I can't speak for the 65XE or the XEGS)
included pin-outs for ALL the ports on the computer...nice touch.

							Mike

|        THE InterNet address> davism@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu           |
|                        These_Thoughts := My_Own                        |
|************************************************************************|
|         "Daddy, Daddy!!  Why's Mommy running across the field?"        |
|                        "Shut up Son, and reload."                      |

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (02/09/89)

From article <1711@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu>, by DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis):

> 	I have heard of several people claiming to have the XL Addendum to
> the Technical Reference Notes, or some such thing.  I would be very interested
> to know where one could pick these up.  On the other hand, the manual that
> comes with the XE (at least the 130XE; I can't speak for the 65XE or the XEGS)
> included pin-outs for ALL the ports on the computer...nice touch.

The XEGS doesn't come with any technical information and of course it doesn't
even have the XL bus (Parallel Bus Interface - PBI) coming out the back.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Bell Laboratories
					...att!ihlpe!kimes

FACT: A cat has more muscles in its tail than you do in your head.

dlm@druwy.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) (02/10/89)

in article <1711@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu>, DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) says:
> 	Both MAPPING THE ATARI (Revised Edition -- which I refer to as MTA+)
> and the articles themselves (ANTIC) portrayed the diagrams/information as
> pertaining to the XL bus (known as the Parallel Bus Interface - PBI).  No
> where in the articles is the 1090 even mentioned.  BTW, MTA+ says the
> information is from the ANTIC articles.  ANALOG also had an article on
> adding 2K (of static RAM) to a 600XL.  I did discover a difference between
> the pin-outs in the ANTIC article(s) and the ANALOG article.  (I suspect that,
> in fact, the pin-out from the ANTIC article WAS the 1090 pin-out, and the
> pin-out in the ANALOG article was from the PBI, itself.  Can anyone confirm/
> disprove this?)
	The Antic articles were definitely about the 1090, they worked
on it.  Unfortunately they didn't state in the article that the
information was for the 1090 not the PBI.  All the information on the
software interface applies to both the 1090 and to the PBI.
	Synapse Software received one of the beta test 1090s with a 64K
RAM card and 80 column display card, they sent it and the docs to me
when I was working on SynFile release 2 (a special version for expanded
XLs and the 1450XLD).  The only real problems with the 1090 were the
size and the projected cost.  Unfortunately it died along with the 1400
and 1450 when Warner sold Atari.

> 	I have heard of several people claiming to have the XL Addendum to
> the Technical Reference Notes, or some such thing.  I would be very interested
> to know where one could pick these up.
	Warner Atari had re-written the Technical Reference Notes for
the XL series.  The draft copies I looked at were very nice, spiral
bound, with a lots of examples and a very well commented OS listing.
Another victim of the sale, they were never published.
	There were also some short (<50 pages) manuals on the XL
hardware and OS.  Some developers and software houses (Synapse, EA,
Broderbund, etc) got copies.  As far as I know those manuals are the
only "official" doc that was ever released.

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver
				dlm@druhi.ATT.COM
				dlm@druwy.ATT.COM

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (02/13/89)

From article <3806@druwy.ATT.COM>, by dlm@druwy.ATT.COM (Dan Moore):

| 	The Antic articles were definitely about the 1090, they worked
| on it.  Unfortunately they didn't state in the article that the
| information was for the 1090 not the PBI.  All the information on the
| software interface applies to both the 1090 and to the PBI.
| 	Synapse Software received one of the beta test 1090s with a 64K
| RAM card and 80 column display card, they sent it and the docs to me
| when I was working on SynFile release 2 (a special version for expanded
| XLs and the 1450XLD).  The only real problems with the 1090 were the
| size and the projected cost.  Unfortunately it died along with the 1400
| and 1450 when Warner sold Atari.
|
|> 	I have heard of several people claiming to have the XL Addendum to
|> the Technical Reference Notes, or some such thing.  I would be very interested
|> to know where one could pick these up.
| 	Warner Atari had re-written the Technical Reference Notes for
| the XL series.  The draft copies I looked at were very nice, spiral
| bound, with a lots of examples and a very well commented OS listing.
| Another victim of the sale, they were never published.
| 	There were also some short (<50 pages) manuals on the XL
| hardware and OS.  Some developers and software houses (Synapse, EA,
| Broderbund, etc) got copies.  As far as I know those manuals are the
| only "official" doc that was ever released.
|

| 				Dan Moore

Dan,

Thanks for the background information.  I always enjoy reading some of
the Atari history, especially from an 'insider'.  You have been a real
credit to the Atari 8bit user community over the years and I appreciate
it.  I'm only sorry to see that third party software companies have
virtually abandoned the 8bit market.  I know that sales dictate the
direction a company takes, but from the users and User Groups that I am
involved with, I know that there is still a small but solid market if
anyone wants to take advantage of it.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Bell Laboratories
					...att!ihlpe!kimes

ken@hpclkms.HP.COM (Kenneth Sumrall) (02/16/89)

/ hpclkms:comp.sys.atari.8bit / dlm@druwy.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) /  9:23 am  Feb  9, 1989 /
>	The Antic articles were definitely about the 1090, they worked
>on it.  Unfortunately they didn't state in the article that the
>information was for the 1090 not the PBI.  All the information on the
>software interface applies to both the 1090 and to the PBI.

Thanks for a definative answer.  Now for the REAL question.  Where can I
get docs on the Parallel Bus in the XL (or the XE for that matter)?

>> 	I have heard of several people claiming to have the XL Addendum to
>> the Technical Reference Notes, or some such thing.  I would be very interested
>> to know where one could pick these up.
>	Warner Atari had re-written the Technical Reference Notes for
>the XL series.  The draft copies I looked at were very nice, spiral
>bound, with a lots of examples and a very well commented OS listing.
>Another victim of the sale, they were never published.
>	There were also some short (<50 pages) manuals on the XL
>hardware and OS.  Some developers and software houses (Synapse, EA,
>Broderbund, etc) got copies.  As far as I know those manuals are the
>only "official" doc that was ever released.

I have a short addendum to the Tech Ref manuals that discusses the XL.
I believe I sent Atari $12.00, and they sent me a book with some
info on the new features of the XL OS.  I also think it was mostly oriented
towards the 1200XL.  However, I don't remember anything about the PBI.
(I don't think the 1200XL had the PBI, but I can't remember.)
I also don't know if the book is still available.  I got this a few years
ago.

Ken Sumrall
ken%hpclove@hplabs.hp.com
...!hplabs!hpclove!ken