[comp.sys.atari.8bit] how do i transfer Atari 800 files to a IBM PC

spl@topaz.rutgers.edu (Lesniewski) (03/05/89)

OK People here the problem.  I have alot of assorted files for my
Atari 800 computer stored on floppies and these same floppies are
becoming quite old( going on 8 years) and I'm afriad that i will
soo loose some of them to the rotting of the disk.  I heard a couple
of years ago that a disk only have a life expectancy of maybe five
years, then the data's integrity becomes questionable.  Here my
question, Is there a simple way to transfer all of the files from the
OLD floppies to a set of NEW IBM floppies?  I relize that i cant use
the IBM floppies in an Atari disk drive, but with the programs/ data
on IBM disks i can take care of it and watch over it a lot easier plus
i can compress it and store it on less volitale media.  If ever in the
future i waht to use the program again on my Atari, i will transfer
them back.

  One way i thought of doing it was via serial ports but i don't have
the time to write programs for both machines.  Are there any programs
out there designed to do this?  I know that i could us a modem program
to accomplish the job but the only program i have to do this is an old
version of AMODEM that have a max speed of a cranken 1200 baud
w/XMODEM.  I would like a program that i could leave unattended (hint:
maybe Ymodem or some of that nature, you know something woth some
protocol and something that will pass a filename).

  If you see any solution to my problem please send me a reply, or
even if you have idea on a way i can resolve it please reply.

- Thanx to whoever may solve my problem

  Stephen Lesniewski
    spl@topaz.rutgers.edu
    LESNIEWSKI@CANCER

Star-Raider@cup.portal.com (Jack Wahoo Pettrey) (03/06/89)

Why don't ya just arc the old Atari files, then copy them over to freshly
formatted Atari disks?  Using double density will save even more room.
This would accomplish the same thing without having to port back and forth
to an IBM.  If you didn't know that ARC programs are available for the
Atari 8-bitters, check with the Atari forum on CI$... several pgms are
available there that could help you.

ln63wzb@sdcc13.ucsd.EDU (Mike Sanford [TA]) (03/06/89)

In article <Mar.4.17.53.06.1989.11671@topaz.rutgers.edu> spl@topaz.rutgers.edu (Lesniewski) writes:

> Message summary:
> How can I xfer files to my IBM pc without writing a program.
> I have Amodem
>
>- Thanx to whoever may solve my problem
>  Stephen Lesniewski
>    spl@topaz.rutgers.edu
>    LESNIEWSKI@CANCER
Well, If you have a copy of amodem, you can use a program on the PC
like procomm, mirror, or crosstalk.  To connect the computers
together, use a modem cable(like the one that you have from your 850
to your serial modem) and reverse the connection on the RS232 side
of pins 2 and 3 and you can hook it directly to the back of the IBM
You can then modify the Amodem program to work at 19200 baud and voila,
you can transfer the programs. Look for the XIO 36 (I think that was
the number) commands.
			Hope that make sense and works,
			Mike
Mike Sanford          (619) 534-4870   |Internet:    sanford@ssurf.ucsd.edu
Scripps Inst. of Oceanography, U.C.S.D.|BITnet:      msanford@ucsd.bitnet
A-030-SSURF                            |UUCP:        ...!ucsd!ssurf!sanford
La Jolla, CA 92093   USA               |SPAN/DECnet: SSURF::SANFORD
_______________________________________|______________________________________
              Why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

arrom@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Ken Arromdee) (03/07/89)

>  If you see any solution to my problem please send me a reply, or
>even if you have idea on a way i can resolve it please reply.

I still have the PC to Atari program someone sent me a while back.  Send me
email if you want a copy.  (It requires true double density on your Atari).
--
               EARTH          |       --Kenneth Arromdee
           smog  |   bricks   |      UUCP: ....!jhunix!ins_akaa

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (03/07/89)

Responding to a question from Stephen Lesniewski about how to copy 8-bit
Atari programs to an IBM system to "archive" them, I think Jack Pettrey
may have had the best answer...

If the concern is data integrity on old floppy disks, it might be FAR simpler
to just  DISKCOM  the entire disks (DISKCOM is a utility which will turn
an entire disk into an Atari DOS file, allowing later expansion back into
an *exact* image of the original disk),  and copy the resulting  .DCM files
onto new Atari formatted disks.

This would save file space on the IBM system, and avoid the hassles of
transferring the files one by one to that IBM system.  The  .DCM files could
be copied any number of times to other Atari disks before being eventually
"unDISKCOMMed" back to their original states...

This raises an interesting question...     many of *my* 8-bit disks are
getting to be 8 or 9 years old...   a lot of the disk manufacturers' data
on "archival storage" on magnetic media is the result of "projections", not
true "in the field" experience, since floppy disk systems have only been
available for the last 10 years or so...

Are we justified in being concerned about the integrity of data stored on
disks for almost a decade..?

Stephen has asked a very good question... something us "old-timers" may
have to face as the 8-bit Atari computer enters its second decade...

BobR