[comp.sys.atari.8bit] MONTEZUMA'S, ASSYLUM, PITFALL II and OMNITRENDS UNIVERSE

clutx.clarkson.edu (Matthew S. Walsh) (03/17/89)

Since noone else talks about the old 8-bit games, I  guess I'll have to do
it. Yes I know there is a newsgroup for computer games, but I prefer to
interact with fellow Atari users.

Has anyone else ever won on PITFALL II?  When I  say win, I don't mean getting
the gorilla.  I mean completing the section following the gorilla where the
"Pitfall Harry's only hope is to find the man, the pot, the flute, and the
magic rope".  I  ask because this feat took me most of a day to find
all these items and finally ascend to the top.

How about MONTEZUMA'S revenge.  I mean the version put out by UTOPIA software,
before Parker Bros. raped it into a cartridge version for every computer made.
If you did well, you got the torch, and came to a HUGE man, at least 6 times
your heigth, who stamps and shakes the floor every few seconds.  I could
never get much farther.

I am also intersted in finding out how many people took an interest and played
UNIVERSE.  My version never worked completely, but what I saw looked like
STARFLIGHT  for the IBM.  I  heard there was even a BBS for Universe players.
Was this a really good game?  Should I try to find it again with docs?

Last but not least.  Did anyone ever have success with ASSYLUM?  This game
was your typical two word parser adventure game, except it featured a
3-d view of the room and hallways around you.  However, the halls formed
a maze and the game was very difficult to map AND navigate.  I was able
to dress up like alfred Hitchcock and get the movie camera and guard outfit,
and re-wire the fuse box, but I  never got to the catapult, Dr. 'Bones' McCoy,
or to get the phone to work.  How about anyone else.

Let me know if any of you have had better success than I, or comments.
Matt Walsh

     **********                       Aint' seen nothing like him
    *          ************           in any amusement hall,
   *                       *******    he is known as MATT WALSH
  *                               *   AKA the KING OF PINBALL

bv3456@leah.albany.edu (Victor @ The Concrete Museum) (03/18/89)

In <2684@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, walshm@sun.soe!clutx.clarkson.edu
(Matthew S. Walsh) writes:

>I am also intersted in finding out how many people took an interest and played
>UNIVERSE.  My version never worked completely, but what I saw looked like
>STARFLIGHT  for the IBM.  I  heard there was even a BBS for Universe players.
>Was this a really good game?  Should I try to find it again with docs?

I really liked Universe at first, but _only_ with two disk drives.  This is a
five disk game, and with one drive the swapping is worse than ridiculous.
Also, the game is slow.  After awhile, the novelty of descending to a starport
wears off.  I found a bug in the game that allowed me to become a millionaire,
so I bought the best stuff and flew all over the galaxy.  All this was fun
for a bit, but the object is to get this space booster, and I never did find
it.

The manual is large (100 (?) pages) and well done.  When I had the game it was
expensive, but not copy-protected.

Has anybody completed the game?  I'm pretty curious as to what happens in the
end.

		         Victor
		      SUNY Albany
		 bv3456@leah.albany.edu