[comp.sys.atari.8bit] 8 bit atari virus?

davidf@cs.hw.ac.uk (David.J.Ferbrache) (03/27/89)

Hello,

Can anyone shed any light on the reference in compute's computer viruses book
to the existence of a link virus for 8 bit Atari computers. The book refers
to a warning from Bill Pike (Portland Atari club president) about such a
virus.

I am in the process of compiling a list of known computer viruses for the
virus-l mailing list and would be interested in details of any known Atari
viruses, preferably including:

1. Symptoms observed (especially damaging)
2. Virus type (boot sector, link, transient or resident)
3. Geographical distribution and reported infections
4. Available disinfection software

Thanks very much.

Dave Ferbrache                            Personal mail to:
Dept of computer science                  Internet <davidf@cs.hw.ac.uk>
Heriot-Watt University                    Janet    <davidf@uk.ac.hw.cs>
79 Grassmarket                            UUCP     ..!mcvax!hwcs!davidf
Edinburgh,UK. EH1 2HJ                     Tel      (UK) 031-225-6465 ext 553

RCH@cup.portal.com (Ric C Helton) (03/29/89)

davidf@cs.hw.ac.uk (David.J.Ferbrache):

>Can anyone shed any light on the reference in compute's computer viruses book
>to the existence of a link virus for 8 bit Atari computers. The book refers
>to a warning from Bill Pike (Portland Atari club president) about such a
>virus.
>
>I am in the process of compiling a list of known computer viruses for the
>virus-l mailing list and would be interested in details of any known Atari
>viruses....

While I missed that reference, I will mention that due to the "patch-work"
nature of Atari hardware, operating systems, memory and peripheral mods and
a whole host of other reasons, viruses for the Atari would have to be
pretty machine specific.  Most all Atari peripherals are "intelligent,"
meaning they contain their own controllers, chips and the like.

Just thought I would add this.....
 -Ric Helton RCH@cup.portal.com
 -Freestyle BBS 404/546-8256