[comp.sys.atari.8bit] trackball/mouse question...

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) (03/26/89)

Hi all! Just a quick question...does the old Atari Trackball
work as an upside-down mouse? (ie - the new desktop OS's, GOE
and Diamond will work with the ST mouse. Am I correct in
assuming that they'd also work with the trackball?)

Also, on the same note...are there any third party manufacturers
selling a higher quality, ST-compatible mouse???

			-Ray

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (03/27/89)

In article <Mar.25.17.46.54.1989.23294@topaz.rutgers.edu> wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) writes:

>Hi all! Just a quick question...does the old Atari Trackball
>work as an upside-down mouse?

And now, a quick answer: Yes
BTW, have you used your trackball a lot?  I was using one as a mouse.
It worked OK, but is not really a one-hand device; I found it hard to
push the button with the same hand.  Also, it was starting to get
jammed sometimes; you would have to wiggle it a little to get past the
rough? part.

I now use the Commodore mouse.  It has a proportional mode (with
analog outputs; apparently, it can be read using the Commodore pot
reading circuit, but for some reason can't be read through the Atari.
I tried both normal and fast-pot-scan modes.) and joystick-simulator
modes.  I converted my software to track the joystick mode.  (In
simulated joystick mode, the second mouse button is read through a pot
input.)
-Stan

njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM (DiMasi) (03/29/89)

In article <Mar.25.17.46.54.1989.23294@topaz.rutgers.edu>, wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) writes:

> Hi all! Just a quick question...does the old Atari Trackball
> work as an upside-down mouse? (ie - the new desktop OS's, GOE
> and Diamond will work with the ST mouse. Am I correct in
> assuming that they'd also work with the trackball?)

The Atari (and presumably any other compatible) Trakball controllers (there
were at least 2 different Atari trakballs) do _not_ work exactly like an ST
mouse.  I tried the old GOE demo disk with an ST mouse and it worked as  it
was  supposed to.  But with my (CX22 I think is the model number) trakball,
the cursor moves to the upper left corner of the screen and is stuck  there
(in  trakball  mode),  or moves, "flakily," 90 (or is it 270?) degrees from
the intended direction (in joystick mode).  As far as Diamond goes, I can't
say.  (At the last meeting of my users' group, we saw Diamond respond to an
ST mouse, but we couldn't get it to do anything - we had no manual -  and I
didn't have my trakball with me anyway.)

However, I have (at home, not here) some instructions on modifying an Atari
trakball  (at  least  for  the  type  I  have,  I  may have saved the other
instructns.)  to act like an ST mouse.  I got them from DELPHI, which means
they  must  be  all  over  the  place  since  (except for stuff from ANALOG
magazine) DELPHI is about the last place to get anything (if it gets  there
at all).

If you can't find these instructions on whatever BBSs and/or  pay  services
you have access to, I will dig them out and (especially if I have them in a
disk file) and mail or post them (depending on the level of interest here).

Disclaimer:  I have not made any modification to my trakball.  It is  often
all  too  easy to destroy a device while trying to modify it (although this
is much more likely with the computer itself, I believe).  Caveat Hackor.

Nick DiMasi       njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM    ...att!ihlpm!njd    DELPHI: TURBONICK
Uni'q Digital Technologies (Fox Valley Software subsidiary;
   ^          working as a contractor at AT&T Bell Labs in Naperville, IL)
(  | this is an accent mark, supposed to replace the dot over the 'i')