[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Keep the faith

dnelson@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Dru Nelson) (03/23/89)

Recently I have read Steven Levy's book called Hackers.  I loved the
story about John Harris making the games for the Atari.  I started
looking into the capability of the Antic and I was suprised.

Too all of you Atari 8 bit'ers... Keep the faith.

No I'm not saying that it will change into some super power machinge,
but I do think the machine is real neat.

--
Dru Nelson                    UUCP: ....!uunet!gould!umbio!dnelson
Miami, Florida                 MCI: dnelson

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (03/24/89)

From article <1503@umbio.MIAMI.EDU>, by dnelson@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Dru Nelson):

> Too all of you Atari 8 bit'ers... Keep the faith.

Thanks, Dru.  We have been keeping the faith for a couple of years now
hoping that Atari's push of the XE Game System would result in many
new games and eventually more productive software.  So far, Atari is the
only company to release software in cartridge format.  Another hope was
that the popularity of the 8bit system in Europe would result in some
good software for us here in the USA.  So far, not much has come from
that area either.  Mostly PD software such as Turbo BASIC.  If you have
the capability to write some good software, go for it.

I read some news that was more discouraging than encouraging.  In the
Feb issue of Video Games and Computer Entertainment, there was a short
blurb on Activision's Shanghai game and how it was available worldwide
on 24 computer systems.  One mentioned was the 'Atari XL/XE in Europe'.
Why only in Europe?  I'm going to write a letter letting them know
how I feel about their narrow minded view :-)  .  All kidding aside
though, I have written several letters to various third party software
companies.  I have gotten anywhere from no response to 'Atari doesn't
make the 800 anymore'.  No positive responses at all.

Speaking of PD software, why don't we start a list of the best of
the PD software.  I would like to know if there is some that I
don't even know about let alone have a copy of.  Off the top of
my head, this is where I would start:

			Daisy Dot II (soon to be III)
			Turbo BASIC
			CC8 C compiler (from Steve Kennedy)
			Kermit 65

How about adding your favorite to the list. (I include Shareware in
with PD, even though it is in our own best interest to support
those developers who ask a donation)

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Bell Laboratories
					...att!ihlpe!kimes

njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM (DiMasi) (03/28/89)

In article <4593@ihlpe.ATT.COM>, kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) writes:
> Speaking of PD software, why don't we start a list of the best of
> the PD software.  I would like to know if there is some that I
> How about adding your favorite to the list. (I include Shareware in
> with PD, even though it is in our own best interest to support
> those developers who ask a donation)

Hmmm.. off the top of MY head, I would include:

	OmniCom
	Super ARC/UNARC
	Tablet Typist (at least,  _I_ use it, I don't know how popular it is)

(Can't think of any other "favorites" that I've used, at least not right now.)

Nick DiMasi       njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM    ...att!ihlpm!njd    DELPHI: TURBONICK
Uni'q Digital Technologies (Fox Valley Software subsidiary;
   ^          working as a contractor at AT&T Bell Labs in Naperville, IL)
(  | this is an accent mark, supposed to replace the dot over the 'i')

ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (03/29/89)

Textpro is another excellent PD 8-bit program. It is an exceptional word
processor that I have been using for some time on my hard drive system.
There are some things I wish it did have though, such as 80 column support
for the XEP80, and a dictionary (although I could live with an external
dictionary program--anyone have a good one???).  It would be nice if the
program was a little faster in some operations, such as in sorting the
directory and during search/replace operations.  Oh yea, the only bug I've
found in the program is if you have a directory that takes up more than
the three columns allocated (when you hit Ctrl-m), the program locks-up.
I continually run into this since I have lots of files on my hard drive
(yes, I make extensive use of subdirectories too), and fortunately hitting
RESET fixes the problem (and retains the document in memory).

One of the outstanding features of Textpro is the macro language built
into it.  I haven't used it too much (yet?) but it is very powerful
and flexible.  I'm sure someone else with more macro experience can
speak more on this subject.

  Enuf for now,

  Albert Yarusso

  Bitnet:   ajy2208@ritvax.bitnet