[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Atari & Coleco

mag2@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Michael A Gorski) (03/31/89)

I just heard that Atari Corp. just sold their 6502 based computers and
all their game systems to Coleco.

Can anyone verify or shoot down this rumor?

If it is true, I guess Atari finally wants to get rid of their "game
machine" image.  To me, the key word here is "image".  Selling off
the game systems and low end computers will NOT change their image.

The name Atari is synonymous with games.  We all know that they also
produce "real computers" but to the non-Atari computer owners, they are
just toys.  The only way to loose their image is a name change.

meadb@tramp.Colorado.EDU (MEAD BENNETT ROSS) (04/01/89)

In article <1772@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> mag2@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Michael A Gorski) writes:
>I just heard that Atari Corp. just sold their 6502 based computers and
>all their game systems to Coleco.
>
>Can anyone verify or shoot down this rumor?

I hope that this rumor is untrue.  The fact that I havent heard anything of the
sort doesn't mean a thing, but my father is the presedent of a small but
rumor consious Atari users group in Los Alamos, and at their meeting last
friday nothing of that sort came out.  If this rumor is true I think that the
eight bit computers wont last long (look at the Adam and Colecovision), but
will they anyway even if Atari holds on to it?  My father has also tried to
sell various programs in Antic and Analog, but has had three sales in the year
or so he has been selling.  (He has had at least 200, probably more, inquiries
from 7 or 8 adds.)

| Meadb@tramp.colorado.edu      |    In this day and age there isn't any       |
| meadb!tramp!boulder!ncar....  |    Such thing as NORMAL.                     |
| or  meadb!tramp!boulder       |   "There's no reason to be afraid, they're   |
| !sunybcs!rutgers...           |    just ideas for walls" -Men w/o Hats.      |

ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (04/01/89)

I __HIGHLY__ doubt the rumour about Coleco purchasing Atari's 8-bit
machines is true.  This rumour seems to have been an April fools joke
posted first to BBSs and then uploaded to the net.  The message indicated
that Atari sold the 8-bit computer line to Coleco for $50,000. C'mon,
that's ridiculous, it's certainly worth a LOT more than that!!!  Anyway,
the 'press release' as it was called was dated 04/01/89.

  Albert Yarusso

  Bitnet:  ajy2208@ritvax.bitnet		(preffered)
  Usenet:  ajy2208.ritcv.rit.edu

c60c-3ds@web-1b.berkeley.edu (John Kawakami) (04/02/89)

The Atari Coleco thing was an April fools' day joke.
The Atari Coleco thing was an April fools' day joke.
The Atari Coleco thing was an April fools' day joke.
OK?

                  John Kawakami    c60c-3ds@web.berkeley.edu
        "Oh it's a good feeling, to know your alive..."  - Fred Rogers

rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (04/02/89)

Nonsense. This "rumor" got started when a wiseacre sent up a "press release"
to CompuServe. Among the other stupid things in the report were

* Atari moves corporate headquarters to Germany
* Sig Hartman is a German
* Atari releases new "FU" supercomputer

  Now, why didn't anyone notice that the "release" had a date of 4/1/1989 on
it? Sigh.

						--R.J.
						B-)

                 Disclaimer: This message was written with my authorization
      # ## #
      # ## #     Mailing address: rjung@nunki.usc.edu
     ## ## ##          (It's easier to just use the reply function, tho)

sac585@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (04/03/89)

 >The Atari Coleco thing was an April fools' day joke.
 >The Atari Coleco thing was an April fools' day joke.
 >The Atari Coleco thing was an April fools' day joke.
 >OK?

 >                 John Kawakami    c60c-3ds@web.berkeley.edu

Sez you. Wanna see the text of the press release on the subject?