[comp.sys.atari.8bit] The City

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) (04/04/89)

----------

Attention Alternate Reality - The City players. Ever wonder about
the area bounded by the Arena, The Western Royal Walkway, and
North Main Street? If you've mapped the game out, it seems
reasonable that you should be able to find an entrance to that area,
right? Well guess what? There are more areas to explore in there!
That's right...at least 5 more buildings to enter reside in that
area. So where's the entrance to it you ask? Well, either accidentally
or on purpose the entrance was sealed off by the programmer (Philip
Price) or by Datasoft. Here's a short BASIC program to open up
that entrance for you!

What to do : type in this listing and save it. Make a backup copy
of Disk 2, Side 1 of the City. Load this program. Insert your
backup copy in drive 1 and RUN it. From now on when you boot up
the game using this new Disk 2, Side 1, you'll be able to enter
the above described area. Just *where* is the entrance exactly?
C'mon, this is an adventure game...do I have to give you all
the answers??? Find it yourself!

5 FOR X=1536 TO 1542:READ A:POKE X,A:NEXT X
10 FOR X=1664 TO 1791:READ A:POKE X,A:NEXT X
20 BUFLO=128:BUFHI=6:SECTLO=143:SECTHI=1
30 POKE 770,87:POKE 772,BUFLO:POKE 773,BUFHI:POKE 778,SECTLO:POKE 779,SECTHI:A=USR(1536)
40 DATA 104,32,83,228,48,253,96
50 DATA 0,0,68,20,143,1,34,1,16,1,1,1,5,80,5,65,3,5,65,20,65,17,17,33,4,101,71,68,250,169,190,68
60 DATA 68,221,192,0,0,0,0,1,4,64,1,16,0,0,0,5,64,16,20,64,4,64,1,4,64,16,4,69,65,17,5,68
70 DATA 68,64,0,4,68,68,65,4,85,64,16,16,16,5,84,64,0,4,84,65,20,65,17,7,80,6,68,80,17,17,17,20
80 DATA 68,93,192,0,0,0,0,16,0,16,0,1,4,64,0,16,4,65,5,80,16,16,16,16,20,101,80,16,20,109,212,68

If anyone has any problems or questions, just e-mail me. Also,
if anyone knows how to crack the encryption of the text data
on AR disks, please tell me how (always looking for ways to cheat :-)

			-Ray

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu

mikes@pedsga.UUCP (04/10/89)

In article <Apr.3.20.26.12.1989.21792@topaz.rutgers.edu> wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP writes:
>Attention Alternate Reality - The City players. Ever wonder about
>the area bounded by the Arena, The Western Royal Walkway, and
>North Main Street? If you've mapped the game out, it seems
>reasonable that you should be able to find an entrance to that area,
>right? Well guess what? There are more areas to explore in there!
>That's right...at least 5 more buildings to enter reside in that
>area. So where's the entrance to it you ask? Well, either accidentally
>or on purpose the entrance was sealed off by the programmer (Philip
>Price) or by Datasoft. Here's a short BASIC program to open up
>that entrance for you!

Amazing! Just last night I spent about an hour bumping my head
(well, my character's head) on every square of every wall
that surrounds that area.  I was convinced that there must be
a secret door here somewhere.
Now, are you sure that we are not supposed to find an
entrance to that area by finding/doing something first
somewhere else in the game? And how in the world did you find
out about those extra rooms (and how to make a passage to them)?

I also have 2 questions to any AR players out there on the net:

1) I got a clue from a song at The Club that went something like
this: "The treasures below will provide many answers.....the
Floating Gate may hold the key...."  Now, I assume that "The
trasures below" means The Dungeon.  I have not played it yet, but
a friend tells me that you can obtain a strange key there.  But
I thought that you can't bring your character from The Dungeon
back into The City! So, how do you get that key to the Floating
Gate (or do you)?

2) Are there any instalments of AR, besides The City and
The Dungeon, out there for the 8-bit Atari? How about any other
computer? Do they plan to compleat the series?

I would appreciate any answers to these questions.

					  Mike Shulman

Mike Shulman                         <Insert your favorite disclaimer here>
UUCP: princeton!rutgers!petsd!pedsga!mikes
Internet: mikes%pedsga.uucp@rutgers.edu