[comp.sys.atari.8bit] The Dungeon/The City

ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (04/12/89)

I have The Dungeon for my 8-bit, and believe there is __NO__ way to take
anything you have discovered in the Dungeon back to the city.  The Dungeon
does provide means to CONVERT a City Character to Dungeon Status, but I
remember the manual explicitly stating that once you go into the Dungeon,
there is NO way back.

I like the Dungeon a LOT, although I wish I had more time to play it.  It
is a fantastic game, and I wish there were more like it for the 8-bit.
There is so much to discover in the AR series, it's incredible!!!!

By the way, in the Dungeon, the Oracle is located directly under the
Floating Gate.  In order for you to give him advice, you need to give
him special object(s).  I've gone to him before, but I don't recall
off the top of my head what I've 'thrown' to him (actually he's a big,
fiery eye).

 Anyone care to discuss what they've found in their travels through
 the City and Dungeon?

--

= Albert Yarusso                = Rochester Institute of Technology      |||  =
= Bitnet: ajy2208@ritvax.bitnet = Computer Science (Don't use a Sun too  |||  =

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) (04/15/89)

In article <1048@cs.rit.edu>, ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu writes:
> I have The Dungeon for my 8-bit, and believe there is __NO__ way to take
> anything you have discovered in the Dungeon back to the city.  The Dungeon
> does provide means to CONVERT a City Character to Dungeon Status, but I
> remember the manual explicitly stating that once you go into the Dungeon,
> there is NO way back.

Yes, that's true. I have come across a nice little gem on a BBS that
allows you to edit a Dungeon character...to raise his stats, gold,
location, etc. But still you're trapped in the Dungeon. Anyone care
to take a crack at writing program to convert a Dungeon character
back to a City character (without all your "discoveries" of course,
which the City wouldn't recognize anyway)?

> I like the Dungeon a LOT, although I wish I had more time to play it.  It
> is a fantastic game, and I wish there were more like it for the 8-bit.
> There is so much to discover in the AR series, it's incredible!!!!

You and me both. AR is without a doubt the best game ever made for the
Atari 8-bits. Unfortunately, Datasoft was bought out and they have
just recently scrapped the Alternate Reality project...for the Atari
as well as other machines. I wish they'd reconsider, or that another
company would buy the rights to the name...

> By the way, in the Dungeon, the Oracle is located directly under the
> Floating Gate.  In order for you to give him advice, you need to give
> him special object(s).  I've gone to him before, but I don't recall
> off the top of my head what I've 'thrown' to him (actually he's a big,
> fiery eye).

Try a *few* gold pieces.

c60a-2hy@web-1c.berkeley.edu (Andrew Irwin) (04/15/89)

I used to spend a lot of time in the AR DUNGEON but have stopped because
I couldn't get past    1) the third level  and  2) the boatman on the second
level.  I tried giving many things to the boatman, but nothing works!
According to Greek mythology, I am supposed to give him a silver coin or
nothing.  What's the trick??

   Thanks,
    Andy   c60a-2hy@web.berkeley.edu
.