[comp.sys.atari.8bit] VT100 Emulation Software

MXB126@PSUVM.BITNET (Michael S. Barthelemy) (04/14/89)

I am looking for software that emulates a VT100 terminal (Or anything which
will enable me to connect up my 130XE with PSUVM)  I seem to have some 'Special
Problems.'  I have a 130XE with two disk drives (XF551 and Indus GT) a SX212
1200 baud modem a color RGB monitor and a ICD P:R: Connection.  I have heard
about the Chemilion (I can't spell) software, but it will not work with my
P:R: connection.  Thus I have been stuck with using the 850 Express! software
which came with my modem.  This means that I have a 40 column screen and no
cursor control (which I sorely need).  If anyone out there can help me please
drop me a note!

                                        Thanx,

                                           Mike Barthelemy
                                          (MXB126 at PSUVM)

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Christopher Chiesa) (04/15/89)

Mike Barthelmy wrote asking for VT100 emulation software; this question sure
comes up a lot!

Mike, you would probably find Kermit65 (John Dunning's port from the C64)
satisfactory.  It emulates the VT100 in both screen and keypad, and has a
lot of other nifty features besides: several selectable different display
modes, Kermit file transfer...

Kermit65 comes either "with the standard Atari R: handler (for the 850)
prepended," or "WITHOUT the... handler..."  If you get the LATTER, you
can also obtain and pre-load (or prepend to Kermit65 itself) a handler
that will let you plug an SIO cable directly into the SX212 and use it THAT
way.  This method allows full Kermit capability just as though you were
using a standard modem on the 850 Interface..

If you want more details, post to the Net; I probably ought not be posting
from this username, as I am no longer a student.  I can be reached on the
Net with less paranoia on my part, at

   Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com

--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP

scott@amon-re.cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) (04/15/89)

In article <81441MXB126@PSUVM> MXB126@PSUVM.BITNET (Michael S. Barthelemy) writes:
>I am looking for software that emulates a VT100 terminal (Or anything which
>will enable me to connect up my 130XE with PSUVM)  I seem to have some 'Special
>Problems.'  I have a 130XE with two disk drives (XF551 and Indus GT) a SX212
>1200 baud modem a color RGB monitor and a ICD P:R: Connection.  I have heard
>about the Chemilion (I can't spell) software, but it will not work with my
>P:R: connection.  Thus I have been stuck with using the 850 Express! software
>which came with my modem.  This means that I have a 40 column screen and no
>cursor control (which I sorely need).  If anyone out there can help me please
>drop me a note!

This is strange.... the 'Chemilion' DIDN'T work with the P:R:?  I had a
home-brew Rverter and that program worked for me.  In fact, I got 850 express
to work and just about ANY 850 program with the one exception of the
vt100sq program.

Have you tried KERMIT?
If you haven't, I would recommend it highly.  If you have ftp access (in any
way... ie: friends...), KERMIT is available over the net...
   Scott D. Yelich                           scott@cs.odu.edu  [128.82.8.1]