[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Atari's XEP80: More than text?

charles@c3pe.UUCP (Charles Green) (04/16/89)

Could someone tell me whether Atari's XEP80 does more than 80-column text;
i.e., does it also do graphics?  And what form(s) of video output (broadcast
video on some channel [234], composite, chroma/luminance (Commodore 1702),
or RGB)?

Thanks,			Charles Green
--
"Excuses is not gonna lift up your butt."	-Cher

{decuac.dec.com,cucstud,sundc}!c3pe!charles	ex::!echo Boo:

c60c-3ds@web-3c.berkeley.edu (John Kawakami) (04/17/89)

In article <6734@c3pe.UUCP> charles@c3pe.UUCP (Charles Green) writes:
>Could someone tell me whether Atari's XEP80 does more than 80-column text;
>i.e., does it also do graphics?  And what form(s) of video output (broadcast
>video on some channel [234], composite, chroma/luminance (Commodore 1702),
>or RGB)?
>
>Thanks,			Charles Green
>{decuac.dec.com,cucstud,sundc}!c3pe!charles	ex::!echo Boo:

The XEP can act as a printer buffer as well as an 80 col out, but will not
do both at the same time.  It does graphics 8 (320x200?) bitmapped graphics
and outputs composite video.  It should do a decent vt100 emul with the
right software (but it wouldn't go 9.6kbaud :-).

  ( (        John Kawakami            ) )
   ) )   c60c-3ds@web.berkeley.edu   ( (

knutsen@athos.rutgers.edu (Mark Knutsen) (04/17/89)

In article <23177@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> c60c-3ds@web-3c.berkeley.edu (John Kawakami) writes:

> (the XEP-80) should do a decent vt100 emul with the
> right software (but it wouldn't go 9.6kbaud :-).

Are you implying that the 'right software' does not exist yet?

Does anyone know if a good terminal emulator for the XEP-80 exists?
--
Mark Knutsen                   knutsen@rutgers.edu  -or-  {...}!rutgers!knutsen
Vice President, USACS                           ____ ____ ____ ____  /

ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (04/18/89)

As far as I know, there are no programs for the XEP80 that support VT100
(or better) emulation.   I wish there were, as it would be VERY useful
to me.  I do have several other term programs that work with the XEP80
though.  These include AT880 (features:  autodialer, xmodem, ymodem,
ymodem batch, up to 9600 baud [who said the XEP80 wouldn't support
9600???], ATASCII/ASCII, and others.. it has a nice HI-RES title
screen too!!), VT850 (a program that emulates a VT100 with a VT200
keyboard.  works either with or without the XEP80), 850 Express! (all
modem input/output goes through XEP80, and the menus appear on a 40
column monitor/tv (if you have one).

Despite the availability of these programs for the XEP80, I still prefer
to use Kermit65 (which has good VT100 emulation and 80 columns without
an XEP80 [it uses Graphics 8 and draws the characters--can't keep up
with 2400 baud without sending ctrl-s/q now and then]), and DEterm--
a fantastic term program which continues to get better and better.

It's interesting to note that all these programs are PD or Shareware!!

--
= Albert Yarusso                = Rochester Institute of Technology      |||  =
= Bitnet: ajy2208@ritvax.bitnet = Computer Science (Don't use a Sun too  |||  =

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) (04/18/89)

   Has anyone tried Kermit65 with the XEP80 E: handler loaded and the default
editor specified to Kermit65? There is a minute chance this would work. If not,
it should be fairly simple to patch, given the source, of course.

					Gary Duzan
					Time  Lord
				    Third Regeneration
				 Atari Enthusiast Extreme

ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (04/21/89)

Gary,

  I would love to get the source to Kermit65..  I have an XEP80 attached to my
8-bit system (XE,1MegMIO,2 20 MEG HD's,two monitors,2 DD drives,Sparta X,R-Time
8,and more) that I would love to get to work with Kermit65.  I have tried to
use it, but unfortunately it didn't use all 80 (it would go to the next line
at 39 characters as you said)..

  To anyone using the XEP80:  Have you found any good word processors that
	use it?  I know there is at LEAST one (MicroWord, I think), and
	that some year Atari MAY decide to distribute AtariWriter 80 (but
	I've learned not to hold my breath)..  I currently use Textpro
	but unfortunately it doesn't work with the XEP80..  :_(