[comp.sys.atari.8bit] 80-track floppy drives on Atari?

charles@c3pe.UUCP (Charles Green) (04/16/89)

Has anyone succeeded in attaching an 80-track, double-sided, 5-1/4" floppy
drive to their Atari 8-bit computer?  Doesn't the ICD box which sits on the
parallel bus do this for the XLs?

Is there any way to use, say, a 1050 with one of the popular plug-in
enhancements to accomplish this feat??  I'm well aware this would probably
involve downloading code to the enhancement itself.

Thanks for any replies; I'll be glad to summarize to the net.
--
Subject: Returned mail: Unable to deliver mail
554 :-)... Unbalanced ')'

ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (04/18/89)

ICD's Multi-IO board that attaches to the parallel bus on the XL and XE
computers does NOT allow floppy drives to be connected.  Just Modems,
Hard Drives, and Printers.. :)  However, the ATR8000 allows just about
any type of floppy drive to be connected (even 3.5" drives I imagine).
While most (all?) DOSs will work with the ATR, only a few DOSs (like
SpartaDOS and MYDos) will allow you to format disks in a format different
than what you'd normally see.  My roommate had one, and he had 2 DD/DS
and 2 DD/SD IBM drives hooked up to it.  The ATR8000 also has a centronics
printer interface and a serial interface (for the modem).  AND it has CP/M
capability (oooooooooooooooo).

I may be wrong (disclaimer!) but I don't think there are any 1050
enhancements that allow you to connect external drives..
There was a drive that allowed you to connect more drives, but the name
escapes me (TRAK?  Percom?  Rana?  Naww, definitely not Rana, those
drives were a piece of junk!)..

--
= Albert Yarusso                = Rochester Institute of Technology      |||  =
= Bitnet: ajy2208@ritvax.bitnet = Computer Science (Don't use a Sun too  |||  =

ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (04/21/89)

Nick,

	The MIO does have a 50 pin SASI/SCSI interface..  I am not aware
of any SASI/SCSI controllers that would use this interface, but as you said,
they probably do exist..

	I'll check on the quote.. :)  I remember coming across it somewhere
and I typed it from memory...thanks!

--

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (04/22/89)

In article <484@holin.ATT.COM> oaa@holin.ATT.COM (Owen Alexander) writes:
>In article <1059@cs.rit.edu>, ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu writes:
>
>In ZMAG #151 or #152, there is a announcement by a company CSS that they
>will have later this year a interface, the Black Box, that will provide
>via the parallel buss of the XL/XE, connection to SASI/SCSI devices,
>Centronics printer, and RS232 for ~$169.  This is like the MIO without
>the memory although I think it can have a printer buffer.  They also
>said that they will have a addition to the interface to allow it to
>access standard floppy drives at up to 10 times faster than regular
>Atari drives while maintaining compatibility.  This is something I would
>like to see.  If you're very interested in the last feature, perhaps you
>could contact them to get more details.

It just so happens that CSS is local (Rochester New York), and I know
the folks over there.  The Black Box is being designed by Robert Puff,
author of the Disk Communicator, SuperArc,SuperDeArc, and a host of
other software and hardware products.  I even got a quick peek at the
blueprints for it last time I was over at Bob's house.

I can say without hesitation that this product will be FANTASTIC!  Bob
is a wizard at 8-bit products (you should see his system).  I'll get
some more info about the box from Bob.

=cf=