[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Forth for c64/6502

allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) (04/22/89)

I have a c64 computer, and I am interested in learning Forth and/or
related threaded languages.  I have considered coding one from scratch
using the excellent book "Threaded interpretive languages : their
design and implementation" by R. G. Loeliger as a guide.  The task
seems a little more time consumming than I'm prepared to follow
through with.  Additionally I would like to start with a kernel that
is pretty standard Forth -- I'm not sure I could duplicate one even
looking at a standards guide.  I know that a lot of companies have
sold versions of Forth for the c64 computer, but I really want
something that is PD, preferably with assembly source included -- I
want to be able to analyze and change the code as part of the learning
experience.

Please send me e-mail if you know how I could obtain such a code.  If
there isn't a c64 specific code, I would also be glad to know if there
is an apple II, atari, or other 6502 version available.  I think I
could probably adapt it to work on a c64 if I had assembly source.

	Thanks,

	Kevin Allred
	allred@emx.cc.utexas.edu
	allred@ut-emx.UUCP

sekora-jay@CS.YALE.EDU (Jay Sekora) (04/22/89)

In article <12298@ut-emx.UUCP> allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) writes:
>I have a c64 computer, and I am interested in learning Forth and/or
>related threaded languages.  I have considered coding one from scratch
>using the excellent book "Threaded interpretive languages : their
>design and implementation" by R. G. Loeliger as a guide.  The task
>seems a little more time consumming than I'm prepared to follow
>through with.  Additionally I would like to start with a kernel that
>Please send me e-mail if you know how I could obtain such a code.  If
>there isn't a c64 specific code, I would also be glad to know if there
>is an apple II, atari, or other 6502 version available.  I think I

i would be interested in any information on this too.  probably worth
posting.

the forth interest group (FIG) provides PD listings of fig forth for
apple II and ``generic 6502''; i don't have the address with me, but
i've got a copy, and i'll post the address (if i remember; if not,
nag me :-)

>	Kevin Allred
>	allred@emx.cc.utexas.edu
>	allred@ut-emx.UUCP

DISCLAIMER:  Everything I say is the|			sekora-jay@yale.UUCP
absolute and utter truth, but Yale  |		  {backbone}!yale!sekora-jay
doesn't necessarily know this.	    |		       sekjaya@yalevm.BITNET

mrr@amanpt1.amanpt1.Newport.RI.US (Mark Rinfret) (04/26/89)

In article <57986@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, sekora-jay@CS.YALE.EDU (Jay Sekora) writes:
> In article <12298@ut-emx.UUCP> allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) writes:
> >I have a c64 computer, and I am interested in learning Forth and/or
> >related threaded languages.  I have considered coding one from scratch
>
> i would be interested in any information on this too.  probably worth
> posting.

I have a used SuperForth-64 from Parsec research that I'd be willing to
part with for $40.00 (I paid $100 a few years back).  It's an outstanding
implementation - I just discovered that I didn't like Forth, the language.
Contact me via email if you're interested.

Mark

--
{ Mark R. Rinfret            mrr@amanpt1.Newport.RI.US                       }
{ HyperView Systems Corp.    Hypermedia Solutions for Documentation/Training }