[comp.sys.atari.8bit] pc <--> Atari disk conversion

rcbamw@eutrc3.UUCP (m.waucomont) (04/26/89)

Recently I posted an article explaining why it is __impossible__ to
write software for an Atari to make it read/write MS/DOS format disks.
It points out that to achieve this, a hardware modification to the
drive is needed.
The SUBJECT field read 'Re: More on SIO' though...

This does not *clearly* indicate that the contents is of interest to
anybody interested in transfering files from Atari to PC and vice versa,
so many might just have skipped the article...

So if you want to know more about reading/writing PC format on your
Atari, read article <604@eutrc3.UUCP> with subject:Re: More on SIO.
(SIO:Serial Input Output...)

Michel 'Mikki' Waucomont

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (04/27/89)

In article <610@eutrc3.UUCP> rcbamw@eutrc3.UUCP (m.waucomont) writes:

>Recently I posted an article explaining why it is __impossible__ to
>write software for an Atari to make it read/write MS/DOS format disks.
>It points out that to achieve this, a hardware modification to the
>drive is needed.

Yes the Happy upgrade.  What is involved in this?  What are the odds of
totally screwing up the drive?

Also, the benifits...  It clearly gives the drive greater capacity.
After the upgrade, though, is it still FULLY backward compatible?
Are there docs provided that show you how to program it?  Does it
come with MS/DOS driver software?  Does any Atari/Sparta/etc software
access the greater density?

For the answers to these and many other burning issues of the day,
stay tuned to COMP.SYS.ATARI.8BIT !!!

p.s. I remember someone selling a 1050 with the happy upgrade. Is
it still available?  With docs/sw?

:-) Thanks.  Stan