[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Antic's New Magazine

sale5312@fredonia.UUCP (Marty Saletta) (04/24/89)

   I haven't purchased STart in over a year, so I was suprised to
see a new Amiga magazine in my local bookstore's shelf,with "Antic"
on the cover.

   I'm not mad (*please,PLEASE* don't start that stupid "war" again...)
but I am puzzled.  Why would they do something like that?  If that brings
in more revenue, then great.  But since reading Antic from their first year,
I can't imagine them publishing anything but an Atari magazine (at least
with "Antic" on the cover.)

   The only thing I can figure is new owners.  Kinda a switch from
a few years ago.  Antic (named after and Atari chip) making a Commodore-
only mag, and "LFP" rescuing Analog.  What's next?

   -Marty

--
 /    /  |\ |  /   / |  / ~Marty Saletta @ Fredonia,New York~~Yanks:6th place~~
/ __ /__ | \| /__ /  | /  ~Atari ST,New York Yankees,Who,Pink Floyd,ELP,Fripp~~

c60c-3ds@web-1b.berkeley.edu (John Kawakami) (04/24/89)

In article <1535@fredonia.UUCP> sale5312@fredonia.UUCP (Marty Saletta) writes:
[about the new amiga mag from antic]
>   I'm not mad (*please,PLEASE* don't start that stupid "war" again...)
>but I am puzzled.  Why would they do something like that?  If that brings
>in more revenue, then great.  But since reading Antic from their first year,
>I can't imagine them publishing anything but an Atari magazine (at least
>with "Antic" on the cover.)

Actually, Antic has published an Apple][ magazine for a while now.  Just
check the publisher of II Computing.  They also sell software for the
Amiga, through the Catalog.

         John Kawakami
   c60c-3ds@web.berkeley.edu

joe@cbmvax.UUCP (Joe O'Hara) (04/25/89)

In article <1535@fredonia.UUCP> sale5312@fredonia.UUCP (Marty Saletta) writes:

>   I haven't purchased STart in over a year, so I was suprised to
>see a new Amiga magazine in my local bookstore's shelf,with "Antic"
>on the cover.
>
>   I'm not mad (*please,PLEASE* don't start that stupid "war" again...)
>but I am puzzled.  Why would they do something like that?  If that brings
>in more revenue, then great.  But since reading Antic from their first year,
>I can't imagine them publishing anything but an Atari magazine (at least
>with "Antic" on the cover.)

The magazine title is actually "Antic's Amiga+".

I would imagine that the publishers see a potential market and are therefore
attempting to garner additional business.

Ditto on the "no war" plea. Both machines have their advantages.
  Joe O'Hara                ||  Comments represent my own opinions,
  Commodore Electronics Ltd ||  not my employers. Any similarity to
  Software QA               ||  to any other opinions, living or dead,

dlm@druwy.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) (04/25/89)

in article <1535@fredonia.UUCP>, sale5312@fredonia.UUCP (Marty Saletta) says:
>    I haven't purchased STart in over a year, so I was suprised to
> see a new Amiga magazine in my local bookstore's shelf,with "Antic"
> on the cover.
>
>    I'm not mad (*please,PLEASE* don't start that stupid "war" again...)
> but I am puzzled.  Why would they do something like that?  If that brings
> in more revenue, then great.  But since reading Antic from their first year,
> I can't imagine them publishing anything but an Atari magazine (at least
> with "Antic" on the cover.)

	There hasn't been a change of ownership at Antic.  They haven't
been an Atari only company for several years.  They used to have an Apple
mag and a R/C Model mag, I know the Apple mag is gone and think the R/C
one is also.

	They (actually Jim Capparell(sp)) started an Amiga mag because
the Amiga is a rapidly growing market.  That means they should have a
lot of growth and profits for their Amiga mag.  I know the 8 bit mag is
selling into a shrinking market, I'm not sure about "STart" since I
haven't been tracking the circulation numbers recently.  (All I ever
look at is Dave and my column, so I know which was was published this
month.)

	Actually you could make a reasonable case that Antic should only
publish mags about the 8 bit Atari's and the Amiga since both were
designed by the same person.

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver
				dlm@druwy.ATT.COM

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (04/27/89)

In article <1535@fredonia.UUCP> sale5312@fredonia.UUCP (Marty Saletta) writes:
>   The only thing I can figure is new owners.  Kinda a switch from
>a few years ago.  Antic (named after and Atari chip) making a Commodore-
>only mag, and "LFP" rescuing Analog.  What's next?

They apparently saw the possibility of profit, as there are over a million
Amigas out there...