[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Advice sought regarding 130XE

mlaprade@x102a.harris-atd.com (laprade maria 42641) (04/28/89)

Help, I need some advice. My brother has a 130XE with a floppy drive. He is
graduating from high school and perhaps going to Catholic U in D.C.. I want
to get him a present that would make his 130XE useful in college. He can
take a cheap B/W TV with him so he doen't need a monitor.

I don't have any idea how the computer system is set up at Catholic U.
Would he want a modem to connect to the university and use their printer
or would a personal printer be more useful? Recommendations on what brand
and where to buy would be appreciated to. And also if anyone knows anything
about how Catholic U computer system is set up.

Also, does anyone know where to buy game cartridges for the 130XE. He would
like to get a milliped game.

Thanks

--
Maria Laprade			ARPA: mlaprade@x102a.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation - GASD	UUCP: ...uunet!x102a!mlaprade

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) (04/28/89)

In article <1986@trantor.harris-atd.com> mlaprade@x102a.harris-atd.com (laprade maria 42641) writes:
>Help, I need some advice. My brother has a 130XE with a floppy drive. He is
>graduating from high school and perhaps going to Catholic U in D.C.. I want
>to get him a present that would make his 130XE useful in college. He can
>take a cheap B/W TV with him so he doen't need a monitor.
>
>I don't have any idea how the computer system is set up at Catholic U.
>Would he want a modem to connect to the university and use their printer
>or would a personal printer be more useful? Recommendations on what brand
>and where to buy would be appreciated to. And also if anyone knows anything
>about how Catholic U computer system is set up.

   A personal printer is almost always better than printing on a remote
system, unless you are on an ethernet or something. A modem would be
useful if you have access to the University mainframes. If his major
involves a lot of writing, a printer would be a major help. If he is
majoring in something technical that uses mainframes, a modem would
probably be better.
   I have been using a Panasonic KXP1091 printer for several years, and
it works pretty well. This printer is no longer made, but they make
similar printers. You will need a printer interface (ICD Printer Connection,
MPP, ICD MIO, ICD P:R: Connection, etc.) & maybe a cable to make it work.
I currently use a SupraModem 2400 which requires an 850, MIO, P:R:, etc. to
work. I have owned an Avatex modem in the past, and I would not suggest
them. The SX212 might be ok, but it would be better to ask those who have
them. This one doesn't necessarily need an interface.

>Also, does anyone know where to buy game cartridges for the 130XE. He would
>like to get a milliped game.
   Toys 'R Us has them every once in a while. XEGS cartridges should work.

					Gary Duzan
					Time  Lord
				    Third Regeneration
				 Atari Enthusiast Extreme

c60c-3ds@web-1b.berkeley.edu (John Kawakami) (04/28/89)

In article <3452@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) writes:
>   I have been using a Panasonic KXP1091 printer for several years, and
>it works pretty well. This printer is no longer made, but they make
>similar printers. You will need a printer interface (ICD Printer Connection,
>
>					Gary Duzan

It's a nice little printer, and you can still get them on the west coast.
BUT their new printers are nicer, and well worth the extra $40 or so.  For
the extra money, you get a better paper feed system, more fonts, and a
larger buffer.  At $200, they are a hard deal to beat.  The ribbons are
also pretty easy to find (but expensive).

         John Kawakami
   c60c-3ds@web.berkeley.edu