[comp.sys.atari.8bit] atari 8 bit to ibm pc

jeffs@scr1.UUCP (04/25/89)

  I need to transfer atari 8bit text files to a ibm pc.  Has anyone done
this?  And what is the procedure to do it.

thanks in advance
--
Jeffrey J. Schnell   System Support Eng.      | Concurrent Computer Corp.
FAX:  201-870-4249   Ph: (201) 870-4120       | 2 Crescent Place, M/S 117

rcbamw@eutrc3.UUCP (m.waucomont) (04/27/89)

In article <318@scr1.UUCP> jeffs@scr1.UUCP writes:

>  I need to transfer atari 8bit text files to a ibm pc.  Has anyone done
>this?  And what is the procedure to do it.

There are two ways:
1) Transmit information over a serial line. You will need a serial interface
   for this (850 I believe...), a cable (nul modem) and a communications
   package...
2) Information interchange via magnetic media:
 a) Have an IBM read Atari floppies. A program to do this seems to be
    available, but I have no information as to availability/functionality
 b) Have an Atari drive read/write IBM floppies. To do so you need an
    enhancement for your drive plus software. Both are available from
    'Happy'. I do not have their address/full name though. Read the ads
    in Atari Magazines :-)))

Michel 'Mikki' Waucomont

sac585@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (04/30/89)

/* Written  5:55 am  Apr 27, 1989 by rcbamw@eutrc3.UUCP in uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.atari.8bit */
In article <318@scr1.UUCP> jeffs@scr1.UUCP writes:

>  I need to transfer atari 8bit text files to a ibm pc.  Has anyone done
>this?  And what is the procedure to do it.

.
.
.
2) Information interchange via magnetic media:
 a) Have an IBM read Atari floppies. A program to do this seems to be
    available, but I have no information as to availability/functionality
Michel 'Mikki' Waucomont
/* End of text from uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.atari.8bit */

A program called UTIL does this. It's available from Xanadu BBS, (217) 384-2127
as UTIL.ARC. It works very well for me.

andrewh@dasys1.UUCP (andrew huie) (04/30/89)

In article <318@scr1.UUCP>, jeffs@scr1.UUCP writes:

>   I need to transfer atari 8bit text files to a ibm pc.  Has anyone done
> this?  And what is the procedure to do it.
>
> thanks in advance
> --

Will you be doing it over phone lines or direct computer-to-computer?  If it
is direct, you can use standard terminal programs w/ text send/capture as the
protocol (the RS232 interface (if you have one) will translate the Atari
newlines to ASCII carriage returns).  I'm also assuming you have a null modem
cable to hook up the two computers (if you ask, "What is a null modem cable"
you probably don't have one, in which case, you will have to refer to somebody
more hardware-oriented on the net about the specifics).  If you are doing it
over phone lines, you can use:
1) Text send/capture like before, but if random characters seep in, they won't
be caught.
2) Kermit 65, or another program that can transfer in kermit's ASCII (text?)
mode (assuming the PC can do kermit in the first place).
3) Xmodem, ymodem, etc., but you should translate the ATASCII newlines to
ASCII CR's before transferring.  A good word processing prog, a public domain
ATASCII to ASCII translator, or even a program you write yourself will do the
trick.

--
andrew huie
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX