[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Need Sector Editor!

meadb@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Bennett Ross Mead) (06/22/89)

I was editing a really long letter to a friend, when I saved it, proofread it,
and tried to reload it after rebooting, it Severely truncated the file.
Arrg.  When trying to copy the file to another disk it stops partway, and says
either file name mismatch, or file number mismatch.  I would REALLY appreciate
it if someone could send me a sector editor that could take an ENHANCED density
disk, and somehow build a file back up that has a corrupt sector in the middle.
I wouldn't even mind loosing the bad sector!  I would be willing to go through a
disk sector by sector, and build the file from individual sectors.  Im operating
on a atari 130XE with access to two Indus drives, an Atari 1050, and an Atari
XF551 drive.   I dont think it matters, but  I am also using the ICD
P:R:Connection.   Please send any program that might do the job by Email.
			Thank you so much in advance!
				    Bennett Mead

| Meadb%tramp@boulder.colorado.edu | In this day and age there isn't any       |
| meadb!tramp!boulder!ncar....     | Such thing as NORMAL.                     |
| or  meadb!tramp!boulder!sunybcs!rutgers...                                   |

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (06/22/89)

In article <9624@boulder.Colorado.EDU> meadb%tramp@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Bennett Ross Mead) writes:
>I was editing a really long letter to a friend, when I saved it, proofread it,
>and tried to reload it after rebooting, it Severely truncated the file.

1) There were routines from like Analog posted here several weeks ago to
   help someone hack disks on the bare metal.  Part BASIC, part assembly,
   they could be used as building blocks to help recover your files.

2) I had my own versions of these which I had written, so I did not save
   them.  Note the use of past tense.

   A) I was using ARC (for the first time) under DOS XE (also for the
      first time).  Something I or ARC did caused the root directory
      (at least) on the DOS XE disk to get trashed.  Has anyone tried
      ARC under DOS XE?  (That is, was it ARC or me that screwed up?)

   B) Given that my sector hacker is lost, would someone email or repost
      the Analog(?) one?  I would like to try to reclaim some of the
      lost files.

I mean, like, don't you just hate it when for the first two years you
keep lots of backups, and then for a full year you never need the backups,
so you stop bothering to take them, then when you try something new and
screw up for the first time in two years is the time you didn't write
protect the disk?  Like, don't you just hate it when that happens?  I
know I do.

I was thinking that a cassette might be a great way to make backups.
How much data does like a C-90 hold?  Does ARC/UNARC do tapes?  Or should
I just go ahead and write a backup program?  If I hadn't gotton a second
disk drive I would have done this ages ago anyway.
-Stan

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) (06/23/89)

.....or how about "Yeah, I really should make a backup of all my
important programs. I think I'll do it tomorrow...tomorrow.....
tomorrow. OOPS! Too late". Oh well. Anyway...

Anyone have any inside info on new carts (or anything else)
available for the Atari 8-bits. The latest I've heard of is
Airball, Midi Maze, Xenophobe, and Mean 18 Golf for the XEGS;
and (finally) GOE and Express! on cart for the XL/XE.
Any other info???

			-Ray

charles@c3pe.UUCP (Charles Green) (06/29/89)

In article <41834@bbn.COM> you write:
>I was thinking that a cassette might be a great way to make backups.

groan... at least, my 1010 is *very* unreliable.

>How much data does like a C-90 hold?  Does ARC/UNARC do tapes?  Or should
>I just go ahead and write a backup program?  If I hadn't gotton a second
>disk drive I would have done this ages ago anyway.

Um, 600 bits per second / 10 bits per byte = 60 bytes per second.
60 bytes/sec * 60 sec/min * 90 min/cas = a whopping 324 Kbytes *unformatted*
storage per C-90.  But using the C: device puts a monstrous interrecord gap
on the tape [grab Tech Ref notes, flip, flip, page 74] of 3 seconds versus
[ f FLOAT 9 1 2 8 ENTER 6 0 / ] a little more than two seconds of meaningful
data.  Ouch - that means about 134 K bytes.  A single-density floppy gives
you 90K less a few of the 40 tracks, enhanced-density (1050) 130K bytes, and
double density 180 bytes - double these numbers if you flip your floppies.
Now compare the cost of the cassettes and floppies per Megabyte...

Better to use the Vaporware Industries "RS232 cassette", which hooks up to your
existing stereo cassette deck to read and write data eight times as fast
(4800 bps), using the phase-coherent FSK generated by the XR2206 chip, and
demodulated with the XR2211.  Since you now have access to twice as many
tracks on the cassette (left and right in each direction), this works out to
a whopping 5 Megabytes of unformatted storage.  And with the optional "Pie in
the Sky" (PITS) backup software, using Hamming error-correction code on 8Kbyte
blocks, you only lose 20% to overhead, yielding you four 1Mb tracks on a C-90.

The glossy says it uses the same frequencies as the old 1200bps voice-grade
FSK modems, only multiplied by four because the 300-3300Hz telephone channel
has one-fourth the bandwidth of the typical cassette deck, so it's certainly
within the realm of available technology.

Let's see, where *did* I put that literature...

<okay, so I'm suffering from jet lag.>

--
{decuac.dec.com,cucstud,sundc}!c3pe!charles	ex::!echo Boo: