[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Densities and their Interactions

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Christopher Chiesa) (07/05/89)

Hello all...

   Have finally dug up a copy of Atari DOS 2.5, and begun using the two
Atari 1050 drives I recently bought (separately) to replace my decrepit and
annoying single-density-only Percom drive.  Am running into certain phenome-
na which I think I've heard a little about, but am not entirely clear on,
and am without documentation for DOS 2.5 (I got it on a disk with Atari
Protection Techniques book, NOT with either of my 1050's.)

   System consists of two Atari 1050 drives: Drive 1 sports a 'US Doubler'
chip, Drive 2 is unmodified as far as I know.

   I find that I can't reformat an enhanced-density disk into Single density
from certain programs (e.g. Bob Puff's Disk Communicator, which insists on
doing Enhanced density after presenting me with a choice between Single and
Enhanced), but that I seem to be able to do it okay from DOS 2.5 (the menu).
Additionally, I seem to be able to READ Enhanced Density MOST of the time
on the US-Doubler drive, but not ALWAYS, and can apparently NOT WRITE it at
all.  All of this is subject to the strong possibility of insufficient evi-
dence, but I'm in a hurry to just get someone to send me the Real Story...

  Basically, I'd love to see some technical stuff about the software support
for the US Doubler, e.g. what CIO or SIO command(s) must be sent to get into
and out of Single, Double, and Enhanced (if it coexists on this drive) densi-
ties, at will, for formatting.  (I already understand that READING the disk
AUTOMATICALLY configures the drive to READ the proper density.)

  Ditto for Atari DOS 2.5, including extensions to DOS 2.0 XIO (CIO) calls
and parameters for handling the "additional sectors," Enhanced density, et
al.

  I realize that this is a lot to ask for, and a bit vague at that, but I'm
dying for SOME information; I've got all this hardware and only REALLY know
what's what when I ignore it all and use single-density only.

  Thanks in advance, Oh Net Gurus!

     Chris Chiesa
--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP

david@stiatl.UUCP (David Montgomery) (07/07/89)

I suggest you try finding a copy of a different DOS.  I think the software
engineers who designed DOS 2.5 were on an acid trip when they designed it.
I myself am partial to SmartDOS because it's fairly powerful and easy to use.
If you want something that's more powerful, hunt around for a version of
MyDOS.  I believe the latest version is 4.3(at least that's the latest version
I have).  It, along with its utilities, can do just about anything you want
it to do an probably some things you don't want it to do.  Good luck in your
search.
				       David Montgomery
				       Sales Technologies Inc.

--
David Montgomery                                          gatech!stiatl!david
Sales Technologies, Inc

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Christopher Chiesa) (07/07/89)

  david@stiatl.UUCP (David Montgomery) writes:

> I suggest you try finding a copy of a different DOS. [...]
> I myself am partial to SmartDOS [...] If you want something that's more
> powerful, [get] MyDOS.  I believe the latest version is 4.3 (at least that's
> the latest version I have).  It, along with its utilities, can do just about
> anything you want it to do and probably some things you don't want [...].

Well, I *have* a copy of SmartDOS, and of DOS 2.5, and of a "way back" version
of MyDOS (maybe 1.0 or something).  I can use my drives from DOS, and even from
BASIC.  But what I want to know is the inner software commands that must be
sent to, and received from, a normal 1050 drive, to implement the distinction
between "single" and "enhanced" densities.  And then, I want to know how the
installation of a US Doubler chip affects these same operations, e.g. why is it
that only SmartDOS "knows how to use" the US Doubler?  (For example, my copy of
MyDOS, and of SmartDOS, both claim that my UNenhanced 1050 is "configurable for
Double Density," but that my US-Doubler'd one is NOT.  Obviously, the software's
interpretation of the meaning of "double density" and "configurability" is
DIFFERENT from the hardware's.)

Incidentally, I've been receiving some of the preliminary information about
how DOS 2.5 tells a normal 1050 what to do -- public thanks, Ron! -- but have
yet to hear one peep about the US Doubler effects...  (Thanks in advance, Ron,
if THAT is what your "next transmission" is going to include!)

--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Christopher Chiesa) (07/07/89)

I just replied to article <5531@stiatl.UUCP>, in which david@stiatl.UUCP
(David Montgomery) wrote a number of interesting things.  I neglected, however,
to comment (and ask another question!) on something else:

> If you want something that's more powerful, hunt around for a version of
> MyDOS.  I believe the latest version is 4.3(at least that's the latest version
> I have).  It, along with its utilities, can do just about anything you want
> it to do an probably some things you don't want it to do.

First off, David, you may be interested to hear that the sources to MyDOS 4.51
(and the assembler capable of assembling said MyDOS sources) were recently post-
ed to this very newsgroup.  If you missed it, you might want to have someone
send it to you again.

Second, and this is a general question: I'm concerned about the "BUILD" program
that was supplied with the MyDOS sources.  I notice that it runs "under your
current version of MyDOS," and just REPLACES the existing DOS "in memory" and
poof, you're in the new version.  My question is, will this work under all prior
versions of MyDOS, or am I going to be in trouble if I don't have a "relatively
recent" version?  I think I have (gulp) something like 1.0 !  I know things can
change pretty drastically between major revisions, so I would like to have the
answer to this question BEFORE I try to install 4.51.  Thanks in advance.

Chris
--

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (07/07/89)

In article <8125@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> cfchiesa@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Christopher Chiesa) writes:
>Second, and this is a general question: I'm concerned about the "BUILD" program
>that was supplied with the MyDOS sources.  I notice that it runs "under your
>current version of MyDOS," and just REPLACES the existing DOS "in memory" and
>poof, you're in the new version.  My question is, will this work under all prior

I assembled the new version of MYDOS with the Atari assembler (AMAC), and
ran BUILD (without understanding exactly what it was doing, but the
instructions said to) under Atari DOS 2.5, and IT ALL WORKED!!!  I never
had MYDOS before.  I have used SpartaDOS, DOS2.5, and DOSXE.  I will
probably be using MYDOS, as soon as I personalize it a little.

BTW, has anyone out there ever attempted to use the RAM under the OS ROM?
If so, please respond; I have some questions...
-Stan

hans@umd5.umd.edu (Hans Breitenlohner) (07/08/89)

The following information is based on disassembly of the Indus GT ROMs.
It is, of course, in no way related to the intenals of the US doubler,
but may help to shed some light on the situation.

The Indus accepts two format commands.  The '"' command (x'22') always
formats in "enhanced" density.  The '!' command (x'21') formats based on
the current density.  If the current density is single, it formats in
single density.  If the current density is double, it formats in double
density, and if the current density is "enhanced", it formats in
SINGLE density.
The current density is determined at power-up by checking the disk in the
drive (configuration switch if no disk is inserted), and changed by
configuration commands, format commands, or by sensing the format of
the disk when the first read/write operation after a disk change is
performed.

hans

chasm@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (07/08/89)

In article <8125@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, cfchiesa@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Christopher Chiesa) writes:
> Second, and this is a general question: I'm concerned about the "BUILD" program
> that was supplied with the MyDOS sources.  I notice that it runs "under your
> current version of MyDOS," and just REPLACES the existing DOS "in memory" and
> poof, you're in the new version.  My question is, will this work under all prior
> versions of MyDOS, or am I going to be in trouble if I don't have a "relatively
> recent" version?  I think I have (gulp) something like 1.0 !  I know things can
> change pretty drastically between major revisions, so I would like to have the
> answer to this question BEFORE I try to install 4.51.  Thanks in advance.

See the summary above, the current DOS (whatever it is) is used to load the
new version of MYDOS into a temporary buffer above the BUILD code in memory,
then (after it is no longer needed) the new MYDOS code is copied down to
memory location $0700 on top of the old DOS -- it is then initialized and
started up.  The only problem you should have is if the old DOS has some
permanently active interrupt vectors (an embedded display list, or real time
clock support routine, for example) -- Sparta may, I doubt anyone else does.

> Chris
> --
> UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
> cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP
Charles Marslett
STB Systems, Inc.  <== Apply all standard disclaimers
Wordmark Systems   <== No disclaimers required -- that's just me
chasm@attctc.dallas.tx.us

Christopher.Chiesa@livewire.FIDONET.ORG (Christopher Chiesa) (07/08/89)

--
Christopher Chiesa - via FidoNet node 1:362/130.0
UUCP: ...!tiamat!livewire!Christopher.Chiesa