[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Atari 800 Power

roths@dg-rtp.dg.com (Robert Rothschild) (07/13/89)

Does anyone know where I can get a power supply for my Atari 800 computer?
I tried Radio Shack, and they told me it's hopeless.  I tried an Atari
computer store and they told me it's hopeless.

My computer has been on a shelf for three years, I want to use it again.

spett@pitstop.West.Sun.COM (Scott Pett) (07/13/89)

	The 800 power supply is the same as one for the 1050 drive. I made
	a PSU for my 1050 drive which I bought in a clearance sale and didn't
	have one.

	It's an A.C. unit which supplies between 10 and 15 volts. I just went
	to Tandy (Radio Shack, you side) and bought a mains transformer of the
	right capacity (1.5 amps or thereabouts) and bolted it into a box with
	a mains cord going in one end and a two wire cable coming out with the
	correct jack on the end. doesn't really matter which way you wire it,
	because it's an AC setup.

	Might not look too good but it worked OK for me.

regards
Scott Pett (Sun UK Education Department)

rfc@briar.philips.com (Robert Casey;6282;3.57;$0201) (07/13/89)

In article <7713@xyzzy.UUCP> roths@tps1.dg.com (Robert Rothschild) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can get a power supply for my Atari 800 computer?

All you really need to do is get a transformer that delivers about 9V ac @ 3A,
for the Atari 800.  The XL supply is +5V at something like 3A, again not hard to
find.

If you have the old "brick" that used to power your 800, try to fix it by
doing this:  get a big vise, and squeeze a little.  The object is to break the
glue joint.  You'll find a 3A fuse inside, which probably blew.  Replace it,
and use a little glue to reassemble the supply.  You'll probably be back on
the air with your 800.  Note: fuses have been known to wear out, just like
anything else.  When they get old, they will blow at less current, sort of a
fail safe.

Another possibility is to go to a Hamfest (amateur radio flea market, usually
occurring annunally in the warm months at some high school gym, or church, or
national guard base, or some such site, on a weekend day).  No guarentees that
you'll find what you need, though.

Hope this helps   73 de WA2ISE

BTW, has anyone ever seen DOS 2.6?  It's an enhanced version of DOS 2.0  I
suppose I could snail-mail a copy of that and some other pd software to anyone
interested, and not be a pirate :-)

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (07/14/89)

In article <7713@xyzzy.UUCP> roths@tps1.dg.com (Robert Rothschild) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can get a power supply for my Atari 800 computer?
>I tried Radio Shack, and they told me it's hopeless.  I tried an Atari
>computer store and they told me it's hopeless.
>
>My computer has been on a shelf for three years, I want to use it again.

Best Electronics will be able to sell you a new power supply.  However,
they seem to have two different supplies.  My older 800 has an 18.5 W,
9V power supply, part number CO14319/CO14748, $10.  They also list
a 50W, 9V power supply, part number CO17945/CO17964, $15.  I don't know
which you need for that 800.  I guess the older ones use the 18.5
supply.  If you still have the broken one, then there is no problem.

Best Electronics
2021 The Alameda, Suite 290
San Jose, CA 95126
(408)243-6950

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX   GEnie: C.FREEMESSER       | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
Summer jobs at Eastman Kodak are great!             | 3) Coke Classic

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (07/14/89)

Robert Rothschild asks:

>Does anyone know where I can get a power supply for my Atari 800 computer?

Check the ads in Analog or Antic, or the Atari Interface Magazine...

Several places list power supplies for 8-bit computers, usually around $15..

Two to try:
MicroTyme in Ohio, 1-800-255-5835

B&C ComputerVisions in CA, (408)-749-1003

BobR

larryw@dasys1.UUCP (Winston Lawrence) (07/19/89)

...   You can get power supplies from American Techna-Vision.
The 400/800/850/810 supplies are $14.50 and the xl/xe supplies are
$25.00. The prices are a couple of months old so they might have changed.
You can reach them at 1-800-551 9995 or 415-352-3787.