[comp.sys.atari.8bit] APAC Images.

larryw@dasys1.UUCP (Winston Lawrence) (07/19/89)

....Excerpted From the APACVIEW.DOC file (Documentation for the
APACVIEW.OBJ program by Jeff Potter)
++++++++++++
   APAC mode (Any Point, Any Color) was first described (to my
knowledge) by Thomas Tanida in ANALOG Computing, Issue 60, May
1988 (pp. 64-71).  It is an 80H x 96V display mode which
simulates 256 different colors.  It performs this feat by
displaying pixels in graphics 11 (16 colors) followed by pixels
in graphics 9 (16 intensities) directly below them.  This also
has the negative effect of seeming to produce black lines in
between colored lines.  From a reasonable distance, the illusion
of full color is complete.  Although it produces 256 colors,
only the hue and intensity can be controlled.  The saturation of
the color is constant.  For this reason, the best pictures can
be viewed from GIF files with fairly saturated colors.
++++++++++++

  I had never heard of this mode before and then all of a sudden
I start seeing a bunch of programs by Jeff Potter using APAC mode.
The guy writes good stuff and he will definately get my dollars.
(The programs are shareware) They include programs to show and
convert R/G/B GR.9 files to APAC, GIF to APAC, AMIGA IFF images and
HAM images to APAC. All of a sudden the old eight bit images are
starting to look pretty good.

I'm upload a uuencoded version of APACVIEW.ARC to the net. This one
will read (and convert) GIF images to APAC mode.

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (07/20/89)

In article <10299@dasys1.UUCP> larryw@dasys1.UUCP (Winston Lawrence) writes:
>I'm upload a uuencoded version of APACVIEW.ARC to the net. This one
>will read (and convert) GIF images to APAC mode.

Would you mind including some pictures too?  I'm dying to find out
what this looks like.

-Stan

potter@speedway15.DAB.GE.COM (Jeff Potter) (07/22/89)

   Thanks for the acknowledgement (I am the author of ILBMREAD, APACVIEW,
APACLOAD, etc.).  Glad to see somebody is using the program and likes
it.  All the aforementioned programs have been posted to GEnie's Atari
8-bit library, and some are on Delphi and CIS.  I am working on Version
1.1, with more features (support for monochrome, local color maps,
etc.).
							Jeff Potter

Disclaimer:  Opinions presented here do not reflect the opinions of my employer.
The software packages mentioned above are not products of GE.