[comp.sys.atari.8bit] MAC/65

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) (06/13/89)

   Simply put, I am thinking about buying it; is it worth it?

					Gary Duzan
					Time  Lord
				    Third Regeneration
				 Atari Enthusiast Extreme

--
+------------------------------------------+ UUCP: !uunet!udel.edu!vax1!gdtltr
| "Two hearts are better than one." -- Yes | Internet: gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.edu
| "Don't listen to me; I never do." -- Doctor Who | Other: Relay through CUNYVM
+-------------------------------------------------+        or something.

ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (06/14/89)

Mac/65 is an excellent assembler, and I highly suggest you purchase it over
the Atari Assember/Editor cart.  Although, I must say that Mac/65 has no
resident debugger, and for that alone, the Atari Assember/Editor cartridge
is nice to have lying around.  Mac/65 FLIES when compiling as compared to
the Assember cart...  And it has a lot more features...

 Good luck!

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (06/14/89)

 RE: Mac/65 Is it worth buying?

  Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!  I used the atari editor/assembler to create
a disk copying program...it took 3 minutes to compile about 100 lines of code.
Using Mac/65 it took about 10 seconds and that included writing to disk
(though I do use a ramdisk :).
  The debugging portion of MAC/65 (called DDT appropriately enough) is
unbeatable, it makes debugging a delight rather that the awful chore it was
with the Atari cart.
  So, I give MAC/65 a 10 across the board...it is the best assembler/editor
ever made for the Atari 8 bit.  And on top of all that...it is being sold by
ICD, Inc...the number 1 atari 8-bit company.

Ordania-DM
@cup.portal.com

sac90286@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (06/15/89)

In a word: YES!

chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (06/15/89)

In article <1151@cs.rit.edu>, ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu writes:
> Mac/65 is an excellent assembler, and I highly suggest you purchase it over
> the Atari Assember/Editor cart.  Although, I must say that Mac/65 has no
> resident debugger, and for that alone, the Atari Assember/Editor cartridge
> is nice to have lying around.  Mac/65 FLIES when compiling as compared to
> the Assember cart...  And it has a lot more features...

All so true, except for the "no resident debugger".  The current version (with
the yellow manual) does include the DDT debugger in the cartridge.

>  Good luck!

On the other hand, if Omnimon is sufficient debugger, and if you have a
text editor that handles unnumberd lines, I will be posting a PD assembler
in the next few days (source is available, let me know if it should be
included with the binary, seperately, or not at all...)

Charles Marslett
chasm@killer.dallas.tx.us

cmoore@oahu.prime.com (Chris Moore) (06/15/89)

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) writes:

>Subject: MAC/65

>   Simply put, I am thinking about buying it; is it worth it?

        I think so, I've used it and found it to be quite good. The
biggest thing I ever wrote with it was a graphics printer driver for
an Epson RX-80.

Chris Moore     Hardware Engineer	CV/Pr1me Computer, Inc.
cmoore@oahu.prime.com		My opinions are my own, not Prime's

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Christopher Chiesa) (06/16/89)

The last version of Mac/65 I actually set eyes on was disk-based, and the
debugger was called Bug/65.  Apparently "things have changed!"  Can someone
post the address/phone for the manufacturer, and any price/shipping info
they may have?

C.

--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP

ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (06/21/89)

Charles,

  I have an early version of Mac 65 that is on disk..  (complete with OSS's
command line DOS)..  After hearing all this talk of Mac65 on Cartridge,
with DDT built in, I think I'll spring for it.

  Al Yarusso,

  Bitnet: ajy2208@ritvax.bitnet
  Usenet: ajy2208.ritcv.rit.edu

  "Captain Chekov here..."

charles@c3pe.UUCP (Charles Green) (07/22/89)

In article <1151@cs.rit.edu> ajy2208.ritcv.rit.edu (Albert Yarusso) writes:
>                                 Although, I must say that Mac/65 has no
>resident debugger, and for that alone, the Atari Assember/Editor cartridge
>is nice to have lying around.

How so?  I just received my OSS (now a division of ICD) Mac/65 cartridge,
and it contains DDT ("Dunion's Debugging Tool" :-) on-board.  At least, the
manual says it's there...  Claims to have a debugging screen that's separate
from your program's display, which sounds like a nice feature.  What am I
missing here?
--
{decuac.dec.com,cucstud,sundc}!c3pe!charles	ex::!echo Boo:

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (07/23/89)

 RE: address of MAC/65 company

 ICD, Inc.
 1220 Rock Street
 Rockford, Illinois 61101
 (815) 968-2228

  Call or write and ask for a free catalog.