[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Disk Operating Systems

robby@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert Spotts) (06/15/89)

    Does anyone have the source to any Atari DOS? It can be on disk or
    paper. I'm interest in seeing what an Atari Operating System does..

					Rob

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Christopher Chiesa) (06/16/89)

In article <3820@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, robby@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert Spotts) writes:

>     Does anyone have the source to any Atari DOS? It can be on disk or
>     paper. I'm interest in seeing what an Atari Operating System does..
>
> 					Rob

Atari published, around 1982 or so, an OS Listing and a DOS listing, both in
6502 assembly source.  The DOS listing is actually a DUP.SYS listing, though -
not the FMS routines that actually manage the disk, but the "DOS 2.0" menu-
screen application program that lets you REQUEST various disk/file operations...

I believe the FMS itself (the REAL "DOS" listing) appears in "Inside Atari DOS,"
a long-since-discontinued COMPUTE! Books publication.  I've been trying for
years to track down and obtain a copy, but they're very scarce.  COMPUTE!
doesn't print it, doesn't have any copies (that they know of or will admit to)
lying around unsold, and doesn't have any suggestions on obtaining it; the only
option here seems to be to find someone (through this Net or other means) who
HAS a copy and would be willing to sell/loan it to you.

I know there are a couple of people reading this right now who have it and are
willing to sell/give it; I've talked to a few of them, and come "this close" a
couple of times, but so far none of the deals have been completed although the
current one is JUST ABOUT to!  (Hi Tom... mail it yet???  :-)  )  Give it a
try.

Chris
--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (06/16/89)

From article <3820@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, by robby@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert Spotts):

>     Does anyone have the source to any Atari DOS? It can be on disk or
>     paper. I'm interest in seeing what an Atari Operating System does..

Charles M...(can't remember his last name) posted MYDOS 4.5 to the net
a couple of months ago.  I think the source was posted also.  Anyway, the
documents for MYDOS says that the source is available.  If you can't find
a copy on a BBS or at a Users Group meeting, maybe Charles will follow-up
this message.  He is on the net via a public BBS in Texas if memory
serves me correctly.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Bell Laboratories
					...att!ihlpe!kimes

iwarner@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk (Ivan Warner,G44 SSTF,6632,) (06/20/89)

From article <115200034@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, by sac90286@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:

> "Inside Atari DOS" contains a complete source listing of Atari DOS 2.0 -
> my copy is quite thoroughly used and was worth the high (at the time)
> purchase price (it's an excellent reference work).

	I might be interested in this. Do you have an author, publisher
and ISBN number?

	Does the book contain a reasonable description of the workings of
DOS 2, or is it just a source listing. Is DUP.SYS also covered (i.e. the
DOS menu), or just DOS.SYS ?

	Ivan Warner

andrewh@dasys1.UUCP (andrew huie) (07/06/89)

In article <1790@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk> iwarner@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk writes:
>From article <115200034@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, by sac90286@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:
>>
>> "Inside Atari DOS" contains a complete source listing of Atari DOS 2.0 -
>> my copy is quite thoroughly used and was worth the high (at the time)
>> purchase price (it's an excellent reference work).
>

>	I might be interested in this. Do you have an author, publisher
>and ISBN number?
>
>	Does the book contain a reasonable description of the workings of
>DOS 2, or is it just a source listing. Is DUP.SYS also covered (i.e. the
>DOS menu), or just DOS.SYS ?
>
>	Ivan Warner

"Inside Atari Dos" is compiled by Bill Wilkinson.  The publisher is Compute!
Books, a division of Small System Services, Inc.  The ISBN number is:
0-942386-02-7.  It deals with how DOS.SYS works, its most important routines,
and how a disk is set up.  Note that there is an error in how a sector in a
file is set up, if I remember correctly, the byte which says how many data
bytes in a sector is 127, not 125 (bytes go from 0-127 for a single density
disk).  The book also contains the source code for DOS.SYS and DUP.SYS.

--
andrew huie ( andrewh@dasys1.UUCP )
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX

brett@umd5.umd.edu (Brett Bourbin) (07/06/89)

In article <10134@dasys1.UUCP> andrewh@dasys1.UUCP (andrew huie) writes:

>"Inside Atari Dos" is compiled by Bill Wilkinson.  The publisher is Compute!
>Books, a division of Small System Services, Inc.  The ISBN number is:
>0-942386-02-7.  It deals with how DOS.SYS works, its most important routines,
>and how a disk is set up.  Note that there is an error in how a sector in a
>file is set up, if I remember correctly, the byte which says how many data
>bytes in a sector is 127, not 125 (bytes go from 0-127 for a single density
>disk).  The book also contains the source code for DOS.SYS and DUP.SYS.
								^^^^^^^^
	No, this book _DOESN'T_ contain the source to the DUP.SYS.  Andrew
was right about the author of work.  Bill worked for the company that was
contracted to write the DOS for that Atari, OSS (I don't remember if it was
called that at the time, though), and they still had the rights to the source.

	Later this same company came out with other DOS' for the Atari that
did not have some of the limitations Atari, Inc. set for the original DOS.

	The DUP.SYS was Atari's own software and therefore not included in
that book.  Atari DID release the source to it though, as they did the source
to the OS in the technical reference volumes.

	I have these volumes if you would care to talk.

>andrew huie ( andrewh@dasys1.UUCP )
--

--Brett S Bourbin, Instructional Computing Programs -- Univ of Maryland
            Computer Science Center, College Park, MD 20742

mag2@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Michael A Gorski) (07/08/89)

In article <10134@dasys1.UUCP> andrewh@dasys1.UUCP (andrew huie) writes:
>"Inside Atari Dos" is compiled by Bill Wilkinson.  (Stuff deleted...)!
>Note that there is an error in how a sector in a
>file is set up, if I remember correctly, the byte which says how many data
>bytes in a sector is 127, not 125 (bytes go from 0-127 for a single density
>disk).
>--
>andrew huie ( andrewh@dasys1.UUCP )
>Big Electric Cat Public UNIX
>...cmcl2!dasys1!andrewh  (or pick your own bang path, if you wish)

Bill Wilkinson is correct but misleading.  There are 128 bytes in a single
density sector (0-127) but only 125 (0-124) are data bytes.  The last
3 bytes are for DOS control.

In byte 125, the left 6 bits are the file number.  The right 2 bits and all
byte 126 are a point to the next sector in the file.  Byte 127 is actual
number of data byte being used in that sector.

   Mike
   mag2@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (07/22/89)

In article <4840@ihlpe.ATT.COM>, kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) writes:
> From article <3820@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, by robby@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert Spotts):
> >
> >     Does anyone have the source to any Atari DOS? It can be on disk or
> >     paper. I'm interest in seeing what an Atari Operating System does..
>
> Charles M...(can't remember his last name) posted MYDOS 4.5 to the net
> a couple of months ago.  I think the source was posted also.  Anyway, the
> documents for MYDOS says that the source is available.  If you can't find
> a copy on a BBS or at a Users Group meeting, maybe Charles will follow-up
> this message.  He is on the net via a public BBS in Texas if memory
> serves me correctly.

Yep, here I am.

I am about to release a new copy of MYDOS -- some real minor bug fixes, and
changing the format back to the old Atari AMAC text format -- it should be
easier on anyone trying to do cross development, and it then can be assembled
with the A65 assembler I will also be posting.  If anyone has a PD text
edit/program editor and a C compiler, we would have a full blown system!!

> 					Kit Kimes
> 					AT&T--Bell Laboratories
> 					...att!ihlpe!kimes

Charles Marslett