[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Where Can I Repair/Replace a Tracker Ball?

wallace@hpdtl.HP.COM (David E. Wallace) (07/18/89)

I recently picked up an old Atari 400 at a garage sale.  The (Wico) tracker
ball that came with it registers motion left-to-right and down, but not up.
When I took it apart, I observed that the little wheel that registers vertical
motion spun freely both ways, but only the "down" direction moved the cursor
on the screen.  Does anyone have suggestions on how to repair/replace
the tracker ball as cheaply as possible?

Dave W. (david_wallace@hplabs.hp.com)

a344@mindlink.UUCP (Tom Klok) (07/25/89)

In <13430001@hpdtl.HP.COM> wallace writes:
> I recently picked up an old Atari 400 at a garage sale.  The (Wico) tracker
> ball that came with it registers motion left-to-right and down, but not up.

I too have a Wico track ball, and mine is also dead.  While attempting to
modify it by adding an autofire circuit, I think I blew up the chip. Does
anyone know of a source for replacing this chip?  I've tried local parts
retailers without luck.

The chip is made by Motorola, and marked:
   SC87152P
   21-5316
   JG28239

Any help would be appreciated.  David, if you have no luck fixing yours,
would you consider selling me your chip? :)

Tom Klok           a344@mindlink.uucp