[comp.sys.atari.8bit] BASIC XE

SAULNIER@cg-atla.UUCP (SAULNIER) (09/02/87)

	I purchased "BASIC XE" from OSS some time ago, and I realized
that I NEVER use atari BASIC anymore.  My question is, can I yank out
the ATARI BASIC rom(s) and do a straight swap with the "XE" roms?  I
would like to free up the bus connector for other uses, but can't
because this cartridge is ALWAYS installed.  Has anyone ever done
this??  (I could handle more than a straight swap if someone has
the exact procedure.)

	Thanx in advance.

striepe@muscat.UUCP (Harald Striepe) (09/04/87)

In article <770@cg-atla.UUCP> SAULNIER@cg-atla.UUCP (SAULNIER) writes:

>	I purchased "BASIC XE" from OSS some time ago, and I realized
>that I NEVER use atari BASIC anymore.  My question is, can I yank out
>the ATARI BASIC rom(s) and do a straight swap with the "XE" roms?  I
>would like to free up the bus connector for other uses, but can't
>because this cartridge is ALWAYS installed.  Has anyone ever done
>this??  (I could handle more than a straight swap if someone has
>the exact procedure.)

	OSS'S BASIC XE is a 16K BASIC that bank-switches a portion of its 8K
	physical address space.  In addition, it makes use of the 8K RAM
	shadowed by the cartridge through disk loaded extensions.  This
	allows the versatility of a 24K language while only occupying 8K of
	the limited 6502 address space.  In extended mode, it stores its
	program code in the extra 64K of RAM banked on the 130XE, using the
	main memory for data storage only.  Alternately you can kleep
	program and main line data storage in the main bank, and do extended
	storage of data chunks in the banks (explicit bank numbers can be
	used with peeks, pokes, bloads etc.).

	You can see that this would not be a simple ROM replacement, since
	you would also have to graft the banking logic.

	A simpler approach might be to use ICD's 130XE bus adapter that
	converts the 130XE cartridge and extended slot to the straight 800XL
	type connector,  while adding two (vertical) cartridge slots.  The
	second slot is intended for the R-TIME8 cartridge.
--
Harald Striepe
Digital Equipment Corp., SPG Mktg, Sunnyvale, CA

tob@inuxm.UUCP (T Burger) (09/04/87)

> 	I purchased "BASIC XE" from OSS some time ago, and I realized
> that I NEVER use atari BASIC anymore.  My question is, can I yank out
> the ATARI BASIC rom(s) and do a straight swap with the "XE" roms?  I
> would like to free up the bus connector for other uses, but can't
> because this cartridge is ALWAYS installed.  Has anyone ever done
> this??  (I could handle more than a straight swap if someone has
> the exact procedure.)
>
> 	Thanx in advance.

What might be a better solution and certainly a simpler one is:::

There is a company out there called 'ICD' that makes nice things for the 8-bit
machines.  One of them is an external 'MULTI IO' which plugs into the
external bus of the XL machines.  But what about the XE's you ask.
For $19.95 they will sell you an adapter to plug into the XE's bus that
converts into the XL's bus.  On this adapter are two cartridge sockets.
The sockets are identical, so you can't have two standard carts plugged
in at the same time, but something like the 'R-TIME 8' cart could be
in the other socket.

The XL bus and the XE bus differ only by pin-out.  This adapter will give
you a place to plug your 'XE BASIC' and give you an XL bus pin-out.

NOW to answer your question!!
The 'XE BASIC' system is a bank switched cart.  The Atari basic is not
banked.  While the mod is possible, it may not be easy, because of the
bank switching required by the 'XE BASIC'.

You can order from ICD via their BBS.
		1-815-968-2229

As usual, I am not connected with ICD, just a happy customer!!

Ted Burger

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (07/29/89)

I am interested in finding out about BASIC XE.  Can someone please
tell me the high points (like comparisons with built in BASIC,
TURBO, etc; performance; added features)?

Thanks!

-Stan

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) (07/29/89)

In article <43476@bbn.COM> slackey@BBN.COM (Stan Lackey) writes:
=>I am interested in finding out about BASIC XE.  Can someone please
=>tell me the high points (like comparisons with built in BASIC,
=>TURBO, etc; performance; added features)?
=>
=>Thanks!
=>
=>-Stan

   It is pretty nice. It isn't as fast as compiled Turbo, but it is faster
than Atari BASIC. It is very compatible with Atari BASIC. One of its major
advantages is the extended mode on 128K+ systems which lets you write 64K
programs which can use about 32K of data. One advantage it has over Turbo is
that it works with SpartaDOS. Otherwise, I think the additional features are
about the same, though I can't say for certain because I don't do much BASIC
programming anymore.
					Gary Duzan
					Time  Lord
				    Third Regeneration
				 Atari Enthusiast Extreme

--

      _o_                                                            _o_
    [|o o|]        "Two hearts are better than one." -- Yes        [|o o|]

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (07/30/89)

RE: Comparison of Basic XE versus the other Basics...

  Atari Basic - I refuse to even do a comparison.  Comparing Atari Basic to
Basic XE is like comparing a model T to the Batmobile. :)

  Microsoft - does anyone really use this in the Atari world?  Basic XE does
everything Microsoft does and does it better, faster, quicker and with
compatibility.

  Turbo Basic - Ok, here we have a contender.  The only reason to buy Basic XE
is because: A) you can't find Turbo Basic, B) you want to support ICD [admit
it there are some of you out there, I'm one.], C) you need Spartados
3.2 and lower compatibility, D) you write HUGE programs.
  I have both Basic XE and Turbo Basic.  Turbo Basic is very nice, but since
I also have SpartaDos I use Basic XE.
  Basic XE has all the commands that Turbo does, plus several more the most
important of which is the EXTEND command.  When issued this command moves your
BASIC program into the extra rambanks freeing up main memory for variable
storage.
  I prefer Basic XE but there is one very good reason to use Turbo Basic...
you can compile your programs.
  There is only one command I can think of that Basic XE doesn't have, and
that is the TIME, TIME$ commands.  I have the RTIME8 cartridge so this is
no big loss to me.

Ordania-DM

elixir@m2-net.UUCP (Rodney Fulk) (08/04/89)

Well the Time$ function in turbo basic is set for the european 8-bits at
50khz instead of the normal; 60khz for us americans so the clock runs a bit
fast..
I never did get the 850 interface to work with turbo basic either..
Had i been able to I never had used basic XE and found out how good it really
is. It precompiles the addresses which makes your program extremly fast..
Basic XE ias the ONLY basic for the 8bit computer series.
Although i would have liked it if they put it in a "super cart" so the
didnt have to be loaded off  disk..