[comp.sys.atari.8bit] GIF Pictures

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) (07/22/89)

   If you have access to FTP, one place you can get GIF sample pictures is the
SIMTEL20.ARPA archive. Do a cd to PD1:<MSDOS.GIF> and there they are. Use
"anonymous" as your user name and it should let you right in.

					Gary Duzan
					Time  Lord
				    Third Regeneration
				 Atari Enthusiast Extreme

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (08/04/89)

Well I got APAC/GIF off the net, and I asked if anyone could post some
pictures for it.  I got the following suggestion:

In article <4033@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) writes:
>   If you have access to FTP, one place you can get GIF sample pictures is the
>SIMTEL20.ARPA archive. Do a cd to PD1:<MSDOS.GIF> and there they are. Use
>"anonymous" as your user name and it should let you right in.
>					Gary Duzan

Well I tried it, got in, found some *.GIF which I copied, and they
didn't work.  APACVIEW responded with like "Not GIF Format" or the
equivalent.  Just for laughs I tries unarc/crunch'ing them, and it
seems they aren't arc'ed.  Any suggestions?  Or would someone be
kind enough to pack up a few and post them?  I'd love to see how
well APAC works.

BTW I did try COLORS.GIF which was in APACVIEW.ARC, it displayed,
but it was difficult to tell what APAC was trying to demonstrate
with it.  It did work though.

-Stan

kimes@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (08/04/89)

From article <43761@bbn.COM>, by slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey):

> BTW I did try COLORS.GIF which was in APACVIEW.ARC, it displayed,
> but it was difficult to tell what APAC was trying to demonstrate
> with it.  It did work though.

There should also have been some documentation (text) files--at least
one.  It describes what the COLORS.GIF file is for.  It is a reference
to use to set your monitor colors.  I was surprised at how much of a
change I had to make with my monitor/tv to get the colors to match the
discription in the text file.  It did seem to help the color of the GIF
pictures I have, although seemed to have little effect on the TV
viewing.  BTW, I got most of my pictures at our Users group meeting.
That is another good source (if there is a meeting near you).

Kit Kimes
AT&T Bell Labs
Naperville, IL
...!att!ihlpe!kimes

ken@hpclkms.HP.COM (Ken Sumrall) (08/05/89)

>>   If you have access to FTP, one place you can get GIF sample pictures is the
>>SIMTEL20.ARPA archive. Do a cd to PD1:<MSDOS.GIF> and there they are. Use
>>"anonymous" as your user name and it should let you right in.
>>					Gary Duzan
>
>Well I tried it, got in, found some *.GIF which I copied, and they
>didn't work.  APACVIEW responded with like "Not GIF Format" or the...

Did you set the proper transfer mode before getting the files.  If you use
binary mode, it probably won't work.  simtel20 is a DEC machine with an evil
word size of 36 bits.  What you probably want is type tenex.

This is explained in some README document on simtel20 in the login directory
if you want more info on the topic.

Ken Sumrall
ken%hpclove@hplabs.hp.com