[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Monitors and stuff

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (08/03/89)

I am using a "mid-res" monitor I got from Sears, not sure of the actual
make.  It has two inputs: a composite video input, and a (I think)
IBM PC TTL input (the eight or so conductor, square shaped connector).
There is a switch in the front, labeled RGB/Composite.

Normally, I use the composite input with the standard Atari video out.
(The image is sharper that a regular TV, but still has lots of color
artifacts if you attempt half-color-clock vertical widths, for example
using PLOT-DRAWTO in gr.8 to draw a vertical line).

I just acq'ed an XEP80, which has a composite video out.  If I attempt
to connect its output to the monitor's composite input, I get bad
color artifacts, and the text dosen't fit on the screen (although
much more will fit on this monitor's screen that a regular TV screen).

I would like to use the PC input for the XEP', and the regular comp
input, and be able to swith at will between the XEP' and the normal
Antic outputs.  Does anyone know if this is possible, and/or what I
need to do?  Did I get all those parentheses right?

-Stan

DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) (08/03/89)

	In article <43734@bbn.COM>, slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) writes:

[INTRODUCTORY STUFF DELETED]

>I would like to use the PC input for the XEP', and the regular comp
>input, and be able to swith at will between the XEP' and the normal
>Antic outputs.  Does anyone know if this is possible, and/or what I
>need to do?  Did I get all those parentheses right?
>
>-Stan

	There is presumably a modification floating around which will allow
you to hack the XEP80 to add a TTL-type output.  The modification was written
by a user of CompuServer, Bob Woolley.  I'm not sure of the name, but if you
or someone you know has access to CI$, you might try the ATARI8 SIG's file
libraries.

							Mike

   |   InterNet> davism@{kcgl1.eng|rcgl1.eng|osu-20.ircc}.ohio-state.edu    |
   |                                  -or-                                  |
   |                       davis-m@eng.ohio-state.edu                       |
   |                         CompuServe> 73667,541                          |
   |   "Daddy, Daddy!!  Why's Mommy     |                                   |
   |    running across the field?"      |     These_Thoughts := My_Own      |
   | "Just shut up, Son, and reload."   |                                   |

Michael.T..Davis@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (Michael T. Davis) (08/06/89)

--
Fidonet:  Michael T. Davis via 1:363/9
Internet: Michael.T..Davis@mamab.FIDONET.ORG