[comp.sys.atari.8bit] MIO questions

briann@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Brian Nakata) (08/16/89)

I am considering buying an MIO from ICD.  The problem is that I want
the 1Mb version but they cost $470!  Too much by my standards.  The
256Kb version sells for $260 and is much more reasonable.  This raises
some questions on my part.  Can the 256Kb version be expanded to 1Mb by
adding memory chips or are the two versions entirely different?  Also,
to get around this problem entirely, is anyone interested in selling
their 1Mb version to me?

Brian

mitchell@janus.uucp (Evan Mitchell) (08/16/89)

In article <5812@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM> briann@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM.UUCP (Brian Nakata) writes:
>I am considering buying an MIO from ICD.  The problem is that I want
>the 1Mb version but they cost $470!  Too much by my standards.  The
>256Kb version sells for $260 and is much more reasonable.  This raises
>some questions on my part.  Can the 256Kb version be expanded to 1Mb by
>adding memory chips or are the two versions entirely different?  Also,
>to get around this problem entirely, is anyone interested in selling
>their 1Mb version to me?
>
>Brian

My question is WHY, WHY, WHY would anyone want to expand an 8-bit Atari?  I
loved my 1200XL, I even gave my brother an 8-bit system for christmas.
($200.00 bucks for an 800XL, XF551 and a NINTENDO Game (Zelda!) is an
excellent deal, even today.)  However, a friend of mine was (is) contemplating
expanding his 130XE to one meg, and maybe buy a hard disk, 80 column card,
etc. AND I TRIED MY BEST TO TALK HIM OUT OF IT!!!  For the price of expanding
an 8-bit, you could afford an ST or an Amiga.

Atari has (apparently) abandoned the 8-bit line like it was a bastard child.
When was the last time new (exciting) products were introduced for the 8-bit.
Of those, how many require more than 64K?

I don't believe anyone should throw his 8-bit away, I just don't see the reason
for expansion...
|    Evan Jay Mitchell                 EECS/ERL Industrial Liaison Program    |
|    mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu       University of California at Berkeley   |
|    Phone: (415) 643-6687                                                    |
|              "Think, it ain't illegal...yet!" - George Clinton              |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

briann@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Brian Nakata) (08/17/89)

In article <30677@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mitchell@janus.UUCP (Evan Mitchell) writes:
>My question is WHY, WHY, WHY would anyone want to expand an 8-bit Atari?

Well, here are my reasons:

1.  I don't have any ***real*** use for a computer at home except to
    play with and play games on.  This does not justify buying another
    different computer.
2.  I have gobs of software that I purchased for my 8-bit and I can't
    justify starting over and buying software for a new machine.
    Software for the 8-bit is cheap now, ST or other software is not.
3.  If I need to do real DTP or SPICE or heavy document writing, then
    I will use the Suns or mainframes at work.  Why should I buy a new
    machine to do these kind of things when all I have to do is stroll
    into my office and use real computers for free?
4.  My 8-bit is my current toy that I hack on.  For this reason, I do
    not want to buy a new machine.  I enjoy playing with it.  This
    justifies expansion.  The cost of expansion for my 8-bit is
    ***far*** less than buying a new machine and software.

My question is, "WHY, WHY, WHY is anybody asking why I would want to
expand my 8-bit?"  If you'll read my post, you'll notice that I didn't
ask for opinions on whether I should do this or not, I asked if and how
this can be done.  Sure, my 130XE is a toy compared to what's out there
today, but it came in handy in college writing papers and as recreation
to occasionally escape from my studies.  Now it serves as a hobby.  Is
that OK with you, Evan?  Sheesh...

Brian

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) (08/17/89)

In article <5812@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM> briann@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM.UUCP (Brian Nakata) writes:
=>I am considering buying an MIO from ICD.  The problem is that I want
=>the 1Mb version but they cost $470!  Too much by my standards.  The
=>256Kb version sells for $260 and is much more reasonable.  This raises
=>some questions on my part.  Can the 256Kb version be expanded to 1Mb by
=>adding memory chips or are the two versions entirely different?  Also,
=>to get around this problem entirely, is anyone interested in selling
=>their 1Mb version to me?
=>
=>Brian

   From what I have heard, the 256K and 1 Meg MIOs have different ROMs, making
them incompatable. I have heard of a way to upgrade it, but it requires the
ROMs from a 1 Meg MIO, which can only be legaly acquired from ICD. I have
heard rumors of an ICD upgrade policy, but can't confirm it.
   If you are planning on getting a Hard Drive, you could probably live with
the 256K model, and it would save you money. Not that the Meg version isn't
useful (the RAM is a lot faster that any drive), but if you are looking for
mass storage with a reasonable speed, a 256K with a HD should do.

   In reference to another response to the root message, I agree that it is a
bit silly to apply internal RAM upgrades such as the 1 Meg XE. The only real
use for that RAM at this time it RAMdisk, which gets zapped when you turn it
off. The MIO, however, is a good tool for hacking with. An MIO can do a world
of good for a BBS. I will (hopefully) be using mine for some software
development.
					Gary Duzan
					Time  Lord
				    Third Regeneration
				 Atari Enthusiast Extreme

--
      _o_                                                            _o_
    [|o o|]        "Two hearts are better than one." -- Yes        [|o o|]

mitchell@janus.uucp (Evan Mitchell) (08/17/89)

In article <5824@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM> briann@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM.UUCP (Brian Nakata) writes:
>In article <30677@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mitchell@janus.UUCP (Evan Mitchell) writes:
>>My question is WHY, WHY, WHY would anyone want to expand an 8-bit Atari?
>
>Well, here are my reasons:

[various reasons deleted]
>that OK with you, Evan?  Sheesh...
>
>Brian

Hey, it's fine with me!  I have lots of old 8-bit software too.  I'm not
giving away my old 8-bit, I'm just not going to waste anymore money on it.

-Evan

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) (08/18/89)

In article <30704@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mitchell@janus.UUCP (Evan Mitchell) writes:
=>In article <5824@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM> briann@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM.UUCP (Brian Nakata) writes:
=>>In article <30677@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mitchell@janus.UUCP (Evan Mitchell) writes:
=>>>My question is WHY, WHY, WHY would anyone want to expand an 8-bit Atari?
=>>
=>>Well, here are my reasons:
=>>
=>[various reasons deleted]
=>>that OK with you, Evan?  Sheesh...
=>>
=>>Brian
=>
=>Hey, it's fine with me!  I have lots of old 8-bit software too.  I'm not
=>giving away my old 8-bit, I'm just not going to waste anymore money on it.
=>
=>-Evan
=>
   I think the idea is that if it is useful, then it isn't a waste.

					Gary Duzan
					Time  Lord
				    Third Regeneration
				 Atari Enthusiast Extreme

--
      _o_                                                            _o_
    [|o o|]        "Two hearts are better than one." -- Yes        [|o o|]
     |_O_|      "Don't listen to me; I never do." -- Doctor Who     |_O_|

mrp@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (marcus.r.prickett) (08/19/89)

For the guy wanting a 1 Meg MIO: call Mike Miller's voice mail system
on (312) 974-3123 use a touch-tone phone.He was wanting $300 for it.
This is located in the Chicago area.
Hope it works out.  I just got an MIO and it really is great!  The
ramdisk zooms!  I haven't gotten the MIO to work on my 800XL that has
the ramrod OS switcher installed though - if you have a ramrod, you may
have to remove it. I'm in the process of hunting down a cheap Adaptek
4000a controller so that I can hook up a hard drive.
(BTW - Albert, thanks for sending that note thru the net.  It took a
month for it to get to my machine. Wow!, US mail is faster for once. ;-)

Marcus Prickett
att!ihlpb!mrp
(312) 979-6199