[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Atari 8-bit forth debugger

a567@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Peltzer) (09/03/89)

> ttensfeldt writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <924@eagle.wesleyan.edu>
>
> In any case, he'd like to encourage FORTH activity among the ATARI
> 8-bitters so he's wants to give it away to anyone who wants a copy.

Is there a way that your friend could post it on the net? I know that there are
a few of us up here that would like to check it out. I'd also like to submit it
to the local Atari user group library (I am a director and 8 bit co-ordinator
for the Vantari User Group).

                 -bp-.

                   THIS SPACE FOR LEASE
uucp:  a567@mindlink.UUCP             GEnie: b.peltzer2

ttensfeldt@eagle.wesleyan.edu (09/03/89)

A friend of mine has written a screen oriented FORTH debugger for the
ATARI 8-bit computers. He tried to have it published by ANALOG
Computing, but the editors felt that it was too long, and would have
limited appeal. I guess they don't get enough FORTH articles submitted.

In any case, he'd like to encourage FORTH activity among the ATARI
8-bitters so he's wants to give it away to anyone who wants a copy. The
program features dynamic screen displays of the parameter stack, the
return stack and the last 10 execution steps.  It allows automatic or
manual single stepping of a program, decompiling a program step by
step, patching a program while it is executing, an escape feature that
lets you type regular FORTH commands while you are debugging, and a
bunch of other miscellaneous features. It does not interfere with the
user's screen so graphics oriented programs can be debugged.

The debugger is about 47 screens long, and takes up about 8K of RAM. It
has been tested using Patrick Mullarky's fig-FORTH, and val-FORTH, and
probably just about every other version of fig-FORTH. He believes that
most of it would run on any other computer that runs fig-FORTH, once
the screen display code was ported over.

My friend is willing to give away a copy as share-ware to anyone who
sends a stamped, self-addressed floppy mailer, and a blank 5 1/4 floppy
to:

	Nick Tamburri
	10 Oakhill Avenue
	Clinton, Massachusetts 01510

The returned floppy will contain the debugger, installation
instructions, and documentation in the form of the unpublished ANALOG
article. He doesn't have a modem so he can't post it on a bulletin
board somewhere but once it's distributed, anyone is free to post it.
  Tom Tensfeldt           Bitnet: TENSFELDT%Eagle.WESLYN@Wesleyan.Bitnet
                        Internet: TTENSFELDT@Eagle.Wesleyan.Edu or

                  4 Laurel Avenue, Ledyard,    CT 06339 (203)-464-9009
  Pfizer, Inc.,   Box 100,         Groton,     CT 06340 (203)-441-4835
  Chemistry Dept, Wesleyan Univ,   Middletown, CT       (203)-347-9411 X2635