[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Using CC8

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (09/06/89)

After using C quite a bit at work lately, I decided to try and use it
on the 8bit.  I wrote a triv program and after several attempts gave
up trying to get it to compile under cc8.  There is obviously something
I'm missing.

Would some kind soul mind sending me a small example of some working
cc8 code? Or better yet any docs on using cc8 and/or ace c?  I have the
notes that came out with the last release of cc8, but that's not too
helpful for getting off the ground the first time.

There are other files on the disk which look like runtime libraries
and stuff, which I assume I have to link in somehow.  Because there's
a file there called LINK.

-Stan

sac90286@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kubla Khan) (09/07/89)

In article <45266@bbn.COM> slackey@BBN.COM (Stan Lackey) writes:
>After using C quite a bit at work lately, I decided to try and use it
>on the 8bit.  I wrote a triv program and after several attempts gave
>up trying to get it to compile under cc8.  There is obviously something
>I'm missing.

Actually, it is CC8 that is missing something - that something is
compatibility. I first learned C on a UNIX system, and later bought Turbo C.
The migration from UNIX C to Turbo C was nearly effortless, but when I later
tried a "Hello, world!" program under CC8, it took a LONG time to finally get
it working. Little things like replacing '{'s with '$('s weren't too difficult,
but the other incompatibilities are more painful. The real killer, however, is
the SPEED. After using Turbo C, CC8 seems to take forever. Then there's the
linking process, which is also very slow. I guess I'm just spoiled by the
speed of Turbo C, but I find CC8 to be somewhat lacking as a development
environment.

Stick with assembler; it'll be easier on your nerves!

Scott
kubla@uiuc.edu