[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Making an SX-212 work with Kermit-65

jean@maxwell.Concordia.CA ( JEAN GOULET ) (09/12/89)

After hours of effort in trying to make Kermit-65 work with my SX-212, I've
finally discovered something that might be the culprit.  It appears that the
SX.COM handler (written by James C. Dillow) is the real problem, as it does
not appear to emulate an 850 handler enough.

The thing is that the Kermit-65 code checks DVSTAT (746) and if it's not zero,
there's an error.  The 850 handler apparently uses each bit in DVSTAT as an
error indicator.  However, the SX.COM handler doesn't do that at all.  It
seems to use DVSTAT as some kind of counter for the number of bytes left in
the input buffer, just like DVSTAT+1, except different.

The end effect of this is that I haven't been able to use Kermit-65 because
it thinks the modem is spitting out errors, so what it does is zero out
the input buffer counter, so I don't see received data most of the time!

I see three solutions here.  1) Get a better SX-212 handler.
                             2) Rewrite parts of SX.COM (yech)
                             3) Rewrite parts of Kermit-65

Solution #1 is the best one so if any of you have or know of an SX-212 handler
that works with Kermit-65, please UUencode and post or mail it.  Solution #2
would be difficult at best.  Solution #3 is possible, as I am in the process
of adding an XEP-80 handler to Kermit-65, meaning that I already have to
make changes to it, but if I redo the modem interface part of it for the
SX.COM handler, then it won't work with the 850, and that's no good.

                                             Jean Goulet
                                             Electrical Engineering
                                             Class of '89
                                             Concordia University
                                             Montreal, Canada

cs2531bz@carina.unm.edu ( Marc Bluefire) (09/15/89)

In article <1205@clyde.Concordia.CA> jean@maxwell.Concordia.Ca ( JEAN GOULET ) writes:

>I see three solutions here.  1) Get a better SX-212 handler.

Go with #1!

If you have a copy of the Express 850 modified for the SX212, which
I got when I bought my SX212, you can simply copy the file
SX212A.HI
over to you Kermit disk, and then append your KERMITNR.COM file to it.
If you need a copy of this file, get in touch with me..it's very short,
and I have been using KERMIT.COM with it for a long time now...

jean@maxwell.Concordia.CA ( JEAN GOULET ) (09/18/89)

In article <516@ariel.unm.edu> cs2531bz@carina.unm.edu.UUCP (  Marc Bluefire) writes:

>If you have a copy of the Express 850 modified for the SX212, which
>I got when I bought my SX212, you can simply copy the file
>SX212A.HI

Looks like I got ripped off because I didn't get ANY software with it.
I would appreciate it if you could post the handler, and also the modified
Express 850 (and other related stuff).  I'm sure I'm not the only one who
needs them.

                                             Jean Goulet
                                             Electrical Engineering
                                             Class of '89
                                             Concordia University
                                             Montreal, Canada

cs2531bz@carina.unm.edu ( Marc Bluefire) (09/19/89)

In article <1272@clyde.Concordia.CA> jean@maxwell.Concordia.Ca ( JEAN GOULET ) writes:
>Looks like I got ripped off because I didn't get ANY software with it.
>I would appreciate it if you could post the handler, and also the modified
>Express 850 (and other related stuff).  I'm sure I'm not the only one who
>needs them.
>
>                                             Jean Goulet
>                                             Electrical Engineering
>                                             Class of '89
>                                             Concordia University
>                                             Montreal, Canada

Just a sec, let me check the copyright stuff....
Well, it says that the 850 Express is Freeware...so if I tell you all this
techinical stuff, I guess I can call you all my friends and post all the
stuff!
The Author is Keith Ledbetter, and if you enjoy the 850 EXPRESS, feel
obliged to send him anywhere from $5-$20...I guess his address is on the
starting screen...
in addition to all that I will post a version of the SX212handler
w/ Kermit which works...I'd know, I'm using it right now.

I'd do all this right now, but my Unix system isn't letting me
Xmodem or Kermit anything right now...does anyone know where I can
find source code for the xmodem protocol for the Atari and/or
for Unix systems?  With this help I can then post all those files.
I'll be looking for alternate ways, meantime.

BTW, I plan to ARC the whole disk, then dump it all, UUENcode it, and
then post it...so, let me know if you need anything to help you undo it!

	See you in a couple of days!

			Marc Bluefire

mrp@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (marcus.r.prickett) (09/21/89)

Hi Marc,
There is a source file written in Action! (c) available from the 8 bit
archives.  The file name is: "XMODEM ACT".  I can access the Bitnet
archive on TCSVM for you if you can't get the file yourself.