[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Antic

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) (05/27/89)

--------

Hello all. Just curious to see what other people's feelings are
about Antic's decision to go to a disk-only format. (For those
who haven't heard, beginning in August, you can *ONLY* subscribe
to the disk version of Antic magazine. Current subscribers
automatically have been given a 2 for 1 deal - for every 2 issues
left on your subscription, they're gonna send you 1 disk version)

My opinion? I don't like it. *Occasionally* Antic has a month
where I'd *want* the disk version (such as last months AMP 2.0
music program, along with song files). But usually it's the same
old "1 BASIC game, 1 tired utility (like yet another font editor),
1 tutorial and 1 little tidbit" format. Many months I wouldn't
want the disk if they through it in for free. I'd be all for going
for the disk subscription *if* they now will shift towards longer,
better programs (and more ML instead of BASIC stuff) since they don't
have to worry about the length that people have to type in. But if
they keep to the same as they've been, I'm afraid they've lost a
loyal 8-bitter and 5 year subscriber.

			-Ray

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) (08/12/89)

written them about this, but they ignore me. Has anyone else had the
same experience. I *probably* would have converted to the disk
subscription has Antic honored my request and honored the original
terms of my subscription (namely "*twelve* issues"). As it stands, I
think I'll just ignore them the way they are ignoring me...

			-Ray

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) (09/29/89)

-------

Okay, so last month in the editorial column of Antic it
was stated that "Antic will remain a monthly publication.
Rumours to the effect that we have gone bi-monthly are
absolutely false". Today I get the new issue of Antic in
the mail. The cover states that it is the "October/November"
issue. Is it just me, or have they lost their minds.

				-Ray

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu

meadb@tramp.Colorado.EDU (MEAD BENNETT ROSS) (09/29/89)

In article <Sep.28.16.28.29.1989.18159@topaz.rutgers.edu> wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) writes:

>Okay, so last month in the editorial column of Antic it
>was stated that "Antic will remain a monthly publication.
>Rumours to the effect that we have gone bi-monthly are
>absolutely false"[...]
>[...] The cover states that it is the "October/November" issue[...]
>
>				-Ray

	This is getting rediculous. (sp?)  First antic essentially forces people to
pay for a disk subscription, then they go bimonthly.  I guess the next step in a
couple of months is no Antic at all.  HMMF.  I guess it's just another sign
of somthing that we knew already.  The Atari 8-bit machines are on their way to
extinction.   Do you think Im over reacting, or is this the way it's going to
be?
					-Bennett

		meadb%tramp@boulder.colorado.edu
			meadb!tramp!boulder!ncar....
				meadb!tramp!boulder!sunybcs!rutgers...

JEA100@PSUVM.BITNET (10/01/89)

Date:    29 September 1989, 18:20:05 EDT
From:    JEA100   at PSUVM
To:      wilmott at topaz.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: Antic

It seems that Antic has lost their minds.  But reality is beginning to set in:
you just can't make a profit on an Atari 8-bit specific magazine anymore.
Look at the way Analog is combining Analog and STlog again.  How about the fact
 that Atari Explorer is about 70% ST specific.  Things just aren't looking brig
ht even though we have an 8-bitter capable of displaying ST screens. Just hang
in there, we've all just got to work together at keeping up the support!

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) (10/01/89)

Too bad the producers of Analog, Antic and Atari Eplorer couldn't band
together and produce *one* 8-bit mag. Ah, to live in a perfect
world...

				-Ray