[comp.sys.atari.8bit] A65 problems

den@hpfinote.HP.COM (Don Novy) (10/04/89)

  Has anyone else had trouble with the A65 assembler posted a while ago? I
downloaded it last night and tried it without success. The byte count of 4732
was OK but it just locks up on my 800XL with DOS 2.0. I even tried loading the
translator disk with no improvement. Any ideas?

  If this doesn't work, does anyone know if the standard Atari assembler will
work to generate Mydos? This is really why I am trying to get A65 running.

Don Novy
Hewlett-Packard
den@hpfitst2.hp.com

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (10/05/89)

In article <19810004@hpfinote.HP.COM> den@hpfinote.HP.COM (Don Novy) writes:
>  Has anyone else had trouble with the A65 assembler posted a while ago? I
>downloaded it last night and tried it without success. The byte count of 4732

I haven't tried it, but I do have a copy.  Did you get the message about
making sure you can have (is it 4?) files open in order to save the listing
to disk?

>  If this doesn't work, does anyone know if the standard Atari assembler will
>work to generate Mydos? This is really why I am trying to get A65 running.

AMAC (the disk-based Atari assembler) works.  That's how I assembled
MYDOS for my system.

MYDOS is the fourth OS I have used on my system, and it is the one I'm using
now (well not right now, right now I'm using a Sun).  The reasons follow:

At first I used 2.5.  Really ran out of gas when my XF551 showed up.

I used SpartaDOS for a while.  AMAC won't run under it, though.  I lost
some work once due to what seemed like not great handling of error
conditions.  Likely more my fault that SpartaDOS, but you know.

Next DOSXE came out.  I had a loving relationship with it, except that
AMAC wouldn't run under it; I think it was because as the AMAC disk
is copy protected, I couldn't copy it to a DOSXE format disk.  So I had
to load in the 2.5 translator, which took up too much space.  Disclaimer:
I am only guessing.

In fact, I had so much good luck with DOSXE that I didn't seem to need
to keep backups.  Well, as you can guess, the fateful day finally
arrived.  I got a copy of ARC, which I attempted to run under DOSXE.
It was really my fault, I'm sure, because I did give it invalid input.
I know instruction manuals are boring, and not at all in the true
spirit of hacking.  But the first 256 sectors somehow got blown away,
and guess where the root directory is.  Well I ended up plowing
through the description of the file formats, wrote some hack programs,
and surprisingly enough was able to reclaim most of the disk.

That pretty much did it for DOSXE, even though I'm sure its just an
ARC compatibility problem.  I don't know if ARC actually works under
it; I never got around to trying.

Then, someone sent me a copy of UTIL.COM, the IBM PC program that writes
MYDOS-compatible disks.  I started bringing files home from the net
now.  To my great joy, I discovered that SpartaDOS could translate them
to 2.5.

Finally, MYDOS showed up.  Complete with sources.  And AMAC runs under
it!  With one slight problem; I use the XF551 as drive 1, which
switches to SSSD when the $%^& copy protected AMAC is loaded.  Then it
stays SSSD even when the disk is changed.  I have been looking over
the sources to try and find a fix.  There are several I am
contemplating, even the ability to have a logical name translation
capability so that ^$%& copy protected disks can be loaded from drive
2.

Other stuff I am trying out is to put command line or desktop style
into it, and move it under the ROM.  I'm trying to decide which is
better; DUP under the ROM, or ramdisk.  (I have a ramdisk program that
uses the 12K or so under the ROM.  Was made for 64K machines.  Only
works with 2.5 though.  This is the first ramdisk I have had; I had to
modify my editor to coexist with it.  I am trying to decide whether I
should modify it to work with MYDOS, or just use the RAM as
emacs-style buffers.

Anyway, yesterday I finally put the US doubler I have had for like 2
years into my 1050.  I was told that it makes the 1050 DD, even when
ultraspeed sector skew is not used.  It does, including under MYDOS.
Now finally I have 2 DD disks.  I may sack the DS feature of the XF551,
just so that disks can be interchanged.

Comments appreciated.

-Stan                 "My Atari isn't dead yet!  It's just sleeping!"

marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) (10/08/89)

In article <46526@bbn.COM> slackey@BBN.COM (Stan Lackey) writes:
>Next DOSXE came out.  I had a loving relationship with it, except that
>AMAC wouldn't run under it; I think it was because as the AMAC disk
>is copy protected, I couldn't copy it to a DOSXE format disk.  So I had

Take the copy protection out, i did it years ago it was easy and it allowed
my to use it on my dsdd percoms. I will try to figure out what i changed,
it was only a few bytes. Does anyone have a file compare program for the
atari?

>to load in the 2.5 translator, which took up too much space.  Disclaimer:
>I am only guessing.
>
>Then, someone sent me a copy of UTIL.COM, the IBM PC program that writes
>MYDOS-compatible disks.  I started bringing files home from the net
>now.  To my great joy, I discovered that SpartaDOS could translate them
>to 2.5.

Where can i get UTIL.COM? I have a friend with a 800XL who wants to read
the comp.sys.atari news, i have been collecting it to a file, and then
he downloads it 150K at a time. If i could write a disk from my machine
and give it to him that would be great. Could someone mail the program to
me?

--
Mark Seiffert,  Metairie, LA.
uucp:           rex!mgse!marks

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (10/11/89)

In article <1010@mgse.UUCP> marks@.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:
>In article <46526@bbn.COM> slackey@BBN.COM (Stan Lackey) writes:
>>AMAC wouldn't run under it; I think it was because as the AMAC disk
>>is copy protected, I couldn't copy it to a DOSXE format disk.  So I had
>
>Take the copy protection out, i did it years ago it was easy and it allowed
>my to use it on my dsdd percoms. I will try to figure out what i changed,

Never mind; I did this all by myself (almost) from a suggestion from someone
else.  It was triv; I used a disassembler I got from ANTIC a few months
ago, and a little BASIC program to actually twiddle the bytes.  It starts
up faster now, now that it doesn't do the extra disk access.

Note to any possible pirate dogs:  No!

AMAC USERS READ THIS:  It looks like some people don't know the fix
to AMAC's bug in putting a label on a macro.  Just terminate each label
with a colon.  That was what I tried when I first ran into the problem,
and have never had a problem since.

Now, for the request.  Has anyone written a debugger that can be
assembled in with an AMAC source?  I was thinking along the lines of
say pushing BREAK to interrupt out of the program to get to the
debugger, doing exam/dep, and returning to execution.  Sure a
disassembler for single stepping, breakpoints, etc would be great.
OK, MAC/65 has this stuff, not to mention the assembler cartridge, but
AMAC still has its advantages.  When I made my editor, I made up
a small one that I included that could examine only, but in that
environment it was easy.
-Stan