[comp.sys.atari.8bit] IBM

rrwood@lotus.waterloo.edu (Roy Wood) (10/06/89)

Someone recently mentioned that they could write Atari-compatible disks using
an IBM?  I'd heard rumours concerning this sort of thing, but I'd like to hear
some specific information.  Is it really possible? (well, all thinigs are
possible)   What sort of hardware/software is needed?  Does it work both ways?
(i.e., IBM->Atari and Atari->IBM)

Also, does anyone have an opinion about the 80-column version of AtariWriter?
I'm finding it hard to live with a 40-column display, so AtariWriter is looking
attractive....

R. Wood (rrwood@lotus.waterloo.edu)

jim@jose.uucp (Jim) (10/09/89)

In article <16990@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, rrwood@lotus.waterloo.edu (Roy Wood) writes:
> Someone recently mentioned that they could write Atari-compatible disks using
> an IBM?  I'd heard rumours concerning this sort of thing, but I'd like to hear
> some specific information.  Is it really possible? (well, all thinigs are
> possible)   What sort of hardware/software is needed?  Does it work both ways?
> (i.e., IBM->Atari and Atari->IBM)

It is my understanding that the copyboard with copyIIpc can copy just about
anything.  (including atari 8 bit stuff).  It is basically a board that
goes inbetween the floppy controller and the floppy drive on the pc.  I
assume it is just another type of controller.  Anyway...  it aparently
does work.

jim@jose.uucp

kimes@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (10/10/89)

From article <16990@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, by rrwood@lotus.waterloo.edu (Roy Wood):
> Someone recently mentioned that they could write Atari-compatible disks using
> an IBM?  I'd heard rumours concerning this sort of thing, but I'd like to hear
> some specific information.  Is it really possible? (well, all thinigs are
> possible)   What sort of hardware/software is needed?  Does it work both ways?
> (i.e., IBM->Atari and Atari->IBM)

There is a file on GEnie in the 8-bit Atari Library (file #4595) called
PC_MYDOS.ARC.  The description says "Use Atari SSDD diskettes on an
MSDOS".  I have no other information, although I assume it is designed to
work with MyDos.  I don't know if this is what you are looking for.
Hopefully, someone with additional information will add their comments.

Kit Kimes
AT&T Bell Labs
Naperville, IL
...!att!ihlpe!kimes

kimes@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (10/10/89)

From article <16990@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, by rrwood@lotus.waterloo.edu (Roy Wood):

> Also, does anyone have an opinion about the 80-column version of AtariWriter?
> I'm finding it hard to live with a 40-column display, so AtariWriter is
> looking attractive....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that AtariWriter80 is
designed to only work with the XEP80 80 column hardware adaptor.  So, you
would have to make sure that you have a good monitor that will make 80
columns readable and spend the $80 for the adaptor.  I believe I saw
an ad for a combo AtariWriter80/EXP80 in one of the ads in ANTIC. At least
it would be cheaper getting them at one time.

Kit Kimes
AT&T Bell Labs
Naperville, IL
...!att!ihlpe!kimes

wrd@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Bill Dippert) (10/11/89)

With the "Option board" from Central Point Software, along with the CopyIIPC
software package you can copy most Atari disks using your PC (IBM or most
compatibles).  I have done this on my PC as I have the option board.
Essentially the Option board is in series with the disk controller board and it
makes your PC disk drive run like an Atari disk drive.  (An Atari disk drive
can do things that normally a PC disk drive cannot.)  There are some exceptions
to the copying of Atari disks.  Some copy protection schemes do not copy and it
will not copy the flippy side of a disk.  Why I do not know, since normally an
PC uses double sided drives and CopyIIPC copies bit by bit, but it will not
copy backwards (which is essentially what it thinks the back of a flippy is).
Software that it will not copy include SynFile, SynXX, etc.

Now, what I want, is some software to allow my Atari 1050 disk drive to read
single sided IBM disks.  I have a utility that someone sent me, but apparently
it requires the use of either MYDOS or the US Doubler.

CopyIIPC and Option Board are copyrights/patents/trademarks of Central Point
Software; SynFile, etc. are .... from Synapse Software, PC ... etc.

a567@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Peltzer) (10/12/89)

> wrd writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <6640@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM>
>
> Org.  : Tektronix, Inc., Vancouver, WA.
> Person: Bill Dippert
>
> Now, what I want, is some software to allow my Atari 1050 disk drive to read
> single sided IBM disks.  I have a utility that someone sent me, but
> apparently it requires the use of either MYDOS or the US Doubler.

Would it be possible to uuencode this file and post it (or send it as mail)?
8-)  Please?

                 -bp-.

uucp:  a567@mindlink.UUCP             GEnie: b.peltzer2