[comp.sys.atari.8bit] RS232

atverko@cs.vu.nl (Verkooijen Alexander T) (09/18/89)

I guess this is a very stupid question, but why is there a 'R' device
to address the rs232 on the XL?
Which pins on which port are the rs232 pins?

cs2531bz@carina.unm.edu ( Malg The Mage) (09/18/89)

In article <3274@draak.cs.vu.nl> atverko@cs.vu.nl (Verkooijen Alexander T) writes:
>I guess this is a very stupid question, but why is there a 'R' device
>to address the rs232 on the XL?
>Which pins on which port are the rs232 pins?

The pins which are treated as rs232 pins are the I/O port pins...
The 'R' device is mainly non-exsistent unless you have bought a RS232
Interface, such as PR: Connect or the older Atari 850.  But, you can
program the R: Device to control things such as a Direct-Connect modem...
the SX212 is such a modem, and I am using it right now without an RS232
Interface (Well, I would be if I was using my Atari right now, but I'm using
my Commodore 128 with it's interface to the SX212).  Well, anyway, it's
just a convenient way for the atari to address RS232 peripherals..

(from the SX212 Manual)
RS232 Port

1 - Ground  2 - Transmitted Data  3 - Received Data  4 - Request to Send
5 - Clear to Send  6 - Data Set Ready  7 - Signal Ground  8 - Carrie Detect
9-19 - Not Connected  20 - Data Terminal Ready  21 - Not Connected
22 - Ring Indicator
23-25 - Not Connected
(12 is also sometimes used as a High Speed Indicator  > 300 Baud)

         13 12 11 10  9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1
         .   .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
          .   .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
         25  24 23 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14

Serial I/O Port
1 - Clock Input  2 - Clock Input  3 - Data Input  4 - Ground  5 - Data Output
6 - Ground       7 - Command      8 - Motor Control           9 - Proceed
10 - +5/Ready    11 - Audio Input 12 - Not Connected         13 - Interrupt

                    2  4  6  8  10 12
                    .  .  .  .  .  .
                   .  .  .  .  .  .  .
                   1  3  5  7  9  11 13

atverko@cs.vu.nl (Verkooijen Alexander T) (10/10/89)

Hey,
is there anyone out there who uses a modem with a RS232 connector?
I like to know how you have connected your atari with this
modem (without an official RS232 interface, of course!).

                                    Alexander

jim@jose.uucp (Jim) (10/12/89)

In article <3645@solo7.cs.vu.nl>, atverko@cs.vu.nl (Verkooijen Alexander T) writes:
> Hey,
> is there anyone out there who uses a modem with a RS232 connector?
> I like to know how you have connected your atari with this
> modem (without an official RS232 interface, of course!).

I have an 800xl that ocasionally I use a modem standard modem with.  If you
solder a few junpers on the motherboard, you can use the joystick port.
(get a joystick cable and cut it, and put the rs232 on the other end).
Anyway...  the problem with that method is that the joystick port is limited
to 300 baud.  There are some other cabeling methods that I never got around
to trying that will allow a faster baud rate.

jim@jose.uucp

CharlieBrown@cup.portal.com (Charles F Schieber) (10/14/89)

If you have a modem to connect with a RS232 you would connect thru a Atari
850,then connect a standard  cable(13 prong) to the 850 and the computer.