[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Problem with MYDOS

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (10/13/89)

I can't seem to get the Atari-supplied XEP80 driver to work under MYDOS;
the system hangs.  What's the fix?  Guesses will be gratefully accepted.
In lieu of that, I guess I'll have to figure it out myself.  Might it
have something to do with the relocation crockery?

Thanks!  -Stan

jean@maxwell.Concordia.CA ( JEAN GOULET ) (10/15/89)

In article <46869@bbn.COM> slackey@BBN.COM (Stan Lackey) writes:
>I can't seem to get the Atari-supplied XEP80 driver to work under MYDOS;
>the system hangs.  What's the fix?  Guesses will be gratefully accepted.
>In lieu of that, I guess I'll have to figure it out myself.  Might it
>have something to do with the relocation crockery?
>
>Thanks!  -Stan

Stan, I experimented with different combinations of MyDos 4.51 and the XEP80
handler and here's what happened:

 - Intalled the XEP80 driver as AUTORUN.SYS on a MyDos disk and booted with
BASIC, and I did get into 80-column mode.
 - Did the above but held down OPTION to disable BASIC.  It did blank out the
screen temporarily but then it went to the MyDOS menu (in 40-columns).
 - When I type DOS from BASIC, I lose 80-columns and end up at the DOS menu
in 40-columns, and I can't reenter 80-columns (handler disappears from HATABS).
 - Booted from a disk with DOS.SYS and DUP.SYS only, and tried to load the
handler from the menu.  It blanked the screen but I didn't see any characters.
It didn't lock up, though, because I could still hear my keystrokes, and I
was still in the menu because when I hit 1 to get a directory, the drive
started up.

Conclusion:  DUP.SYS is the culprit.  It seems to do a warmstart that
modifies the handler table.  It might also be playing with the display list
pointers, as well as other display registers.  This is only a guess, and seeing
as I don't use MyDOS (or any other DOS that needs a DUP.SYS - blecch!), I can
only suggest that you use DOS XL as I do, or reprogram MyDOS.  Happy hacking.

                                             Jean Goulet
                                             Electrical Engineering
                                             Class of '89
                                             Concordia University