[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Old queries from a new user

glk01126@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/24/89)

Another query from an old 8bitter,

  How important is getting the C revision ROMs for my XL? The B version,
which I no doubt have in my dinosaur, has some pretty terrible bugs
I hear, and I have no idea how to get the C revision. Can anyone answer
my ignorant pleas?
  Oh, by the way, this isn't Ernest C. Spieu, it's his roommate, who
will hopefully soon get his own account.

                                              -Bull Dozer

norlin@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (NARC ONE) (10/24/89)

In article <115200043@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> glk01126@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Another query from an old 8bitter,
>
>  How important is getting the C revision ROMs for my XL? The B version,
>which I no doubt have in my dinosaur, has some pretty terrible bugs
>I hear, and I have no idea how to get the C revision. Can anyone answer
>my ignorant pleas?
>  Oh, by the way, this isn't Ernest C. Spieu, it's his roommate, who
>will hopefully soon get his own account.
>
>                                              -Bull Dozer

You're not very specific as to which C revision ROMSs you refer.  I assume
you're talking about the Rev. C BASIC.  I don't know if you can still buy the
Rev. C cartridge, but an easy solution would be to find a friend with a 130XE
(which has Rev. C BASIC), save to disk (from DOS 2.5 menu option K) the
BASIC cartridge ($A000-BFFF), then write an assembly language header to
precede the file you just wrote.  The assembly language header will have to
disable the BASIC ROM on your XL, then load the disk BASIC into the underlying
RAM, then reset RAMTOP to $A0, then clear the screen (by opening and
closing device #0).  Then, just do a JMP $A000 and your Rev. C BASIC from
the disk will run on your XL.

--Norman Lin (A.K.A. NARC)

tle33710@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/25/89)

I believe ANTIC and ANALOG have software fixes for the dreaded B bugs.  I don't
have them with me now, but I'll try to get them to you tomorrow.  In the
meantime, anyone who know's what I'm talking about should be able to provide
the information to you.  P.S. Is printing the small listing on here a
copywrite infringement?  If it is I can still give you the issue numbers...

		Genghis.

norlin@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (NARC ONE) (10/25/89)

In article <115200044@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> tle33710@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I believe ANTIC and ANALOG have software fixes for the dreaded B bugs.  I don't
>have them with me now, but I'll try to get them to you tomorrow.  In the
>meantime, anyone who know's what I'm talking about should be able to provide
>the information to you.  P.S. Is printing the small listing on here a
>copywrite infringement?  If it is I can still give you the issue numbers...
>
>		Genghis.

I am fairly sure, actually, that it would be considered a copyright infringe-
ment to post the program here, even if it is a small one...oh well.  It would
probably be wiser just to give the issue numbers.

--NARC

a344@mindlink.UUCP (Tom Klok) (10/26/89)

In Msg-ID <1989Oct24.134518.5778@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> norlin writes:
> I don't know if you can still buy the Rev. C cartridge, but an easy solution
> would be to find a friend with a 130XE (which has Rev. C BASIC), save to disk
> (from DOS 2.5 menu option K) the BASIC cartridge ($A000-BFFF), then write an
> assembly language header to precede the file you just wrote.  The assembly
> language header will

Um... I think you'll have problems with that binary save from DOS 2.5. If 2.5
works anything like 2,0 in it's burst mode writes, then it will attempt to
write the cartridge out in burst mode, and totally mess up the sector links,
yielding an undeletable useless file.  Best to either turn burst mode off (the
pokes are in Mapping the Atari under FMS), or write a small basic program to
dump the ROM space to a file.  Something like...

10 OPEN #1,8,0,"D1:BASICC.OBJ"
20 PUT #1,255:PUT #1,255:REM $FFFF file header
30 PUT #1,0:PUT #1,160:REM $A000 start address
40 PUT #1,255:PUT #1,191:REM $BFFF end address
50 FOR ADDR=40960 TO 49151:PUT #1,PEEK(I):NEXT ADDR:REM body
60 END:REM close too

---------------------
Tom Klok                     Vancouver BC Canada
tom_klok@mindlink.UUCP | a344@mindlink.UUCP

norlin@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (NARC ONE) (10/27/89)

In article <631@mindlink.UUCP> a344@mindlink.UUCP (Tom Klok) writes:
>In Msg-ID <1989Oct24.134518.5778@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> norlin writes:
>> I don't know if you can still buy the Rev. C cartridge, but an easy solution
>> would be to find a friend with a 130XE (which has Rev. C BASIC), save to disk
>> (from DOS 2.5 menu option K) the BASIC cartridge ($A000-BFFF), then write an
>> assembly language header to precede the file you just wrote.  The assembly
>> language header will
>
>Um... I think you'll have problems with that binary save from DOS 2.5. If 2.5
>works anything like 2,0 in it's burst mode writes, then it will attempt to
>write the cartridge out in burst mode, and totally mess up the sector links,
>yielding an undeletable useless file.  [Stuff deleted...]

No, I've tried it, and it works, and I read somewhere that they fixed that
burst-mode stuff for DOS 2.5.  I believe it copies it to a RAM buffer before
writing the sector link information.  Anyway, as I said, I tried it, and
it works, so I think it's pretty safe.

--
Norman Lin

This is my humble signature file.

charles@c3pe.UUCP (Charles Green) (10/28/89)

In article <1989Oct24.134518.5778@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> norlin@uokmax.UUCP (NARC ONE) writes:
>In article <115200043@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> glk01126@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>  How important is getting the C revision ROMs for my XL? The B version,
>>which I no doubt have in my dinosaur, has some pretty terrible bugs

>You're not very specific as to which C revision ROMSs you refer.  I assume
>you're talking about the Rev. C BASIC.  I don't know if you can still buy the
>Rev. C cartridge, ...

It may be simpler than that.  I wrote a letter to Atari Customer Support to
ask how I could get my Rev B Basic upgraded to Rev C, and the reply stated that
I should send a copy of my receipt for purchase of the unit, and they would
send me a Rev C cartridge.  Since the receipt had been tossed, however, I was
unable to comply.

This was a few years ago; I don't know whether the offer is still good.  In
retrospect, it would seem that one should also be able to pop the PROM out of
the machine and send that in; however, I don't know that this would be an
acceptable alternative to Atari.

					-Charles Green
--
{decuac.dec.com,cucstud,sundc}!c3pe!charles	ex::!echo Boo: