[comp.sys.atari.8bit] atari ABC yea or nay ????

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (11/09/89)

In article <3225@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_bac@jhunix.UUCP (Ajay Choudhri) writes:
>>decided on one of two models,
>>		1)ATARI ABC
>>		2)AMSTRAD 2086
>>please send me as much info on the atari ABC (if it indeed exists,as my dealer
>>assures me!!)

If this 2086 Amstrad is similar in design to their other machines, I
would say forget it.  A friend of mine owns a computer store, and will
not touch any Amstrad computers.  They seem to like to do non-standard
stuff with their designs, such as putting the power supply for both the
computer and monitor in the MONITOR.  Of course, this means you can ONLY
use an Amstrad monitor with their computer.

Don't know about the Atari ABC.  Might be a new name for the PC-3(4,5)
or something.  I do know that their MS-DOS machines offer quite alot of
bang for the buck.  They currently don't sell in the US though.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology :BITNET:%clf3678@RITVAX
    |||        ____________                         :GEnie: C.FREEMESSER
    |||       /___    /          (and 8-bit too!)   :USENET: Don't bother,
   / | \   ______/   /                              :        it doesn't work
Call the A.C.O.R.N BBS (716)436-3078, 300/1200 baud :<-or my BBS

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (11/13/89)

"Big Bad Dom" asks:
>I am seriously thinking of buying a PC at the moment and I have basically
>decided on one of two models,

>		1)ATARI ABC

>		2)AMSTRAD 2086

>Does anyone have/know of the machine and if so could someone please
>offer me advice on buying it?

More important than the technical differences between the two machines is
the difference between the companies which make the computers.

Amstrad is a professional company which produces computers.  They have
established a world-wide reputation for delivering good, solid computers.

Atari Corp is a toy company which has established a reputation for being
poorly managed, and for its capricious treatment of its users, dealers
and suppliers.  While the "Atari ABC" may be the computer of the week now,
you may find yourself holding an obsolete system when they go off after the
next glittering gizmo and leave you with an unsupported orphan next week.

Then again, maybe they won't...  it's your gamble...

BobR

pi@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Peter J Ikusz) (11/14/89)

>>offer me advice on buying it?
>
>More important than the technical differences between the two machines is
>the difference between the companies which make the computers.
>
>Amstrad is a professional company which produces computers.  They have
>established a world-wide reputation for delivering good, solid computers.
>
>Atari Corp is a toy company which has established a reputation for being
>poorly managed, and for its capricious treatment of its users, dealers
>and suppliers.  While the "Atari ABC" may be the computer of the week now,
>you may find yourself holding an obsolete system when they go off after the
>next glittering gizmo and leave you with an unsupported orphan next week.

Sorry, Bob,
 I've worked with, sold, and used Amstrads. I wouldn't let my worst enemy
 buy one. They are junk.

 If you think Atari is only a toy company go to Europe. You will find out
 how extensively they are using their 'toys'.

Pete I.

I'm not an Atari loyalist, I just don't like the other expensive junk
in the market. ( Amiga is OK, though, emphasis on OK )

Movie Quotes of the 80's:
"I'll buy that for a dollar!": Robocop
"What's amatter Colonel Sanders, Chicken?": Dark Helmet
"Poachers shooting at rabbits scare the big game away.": D.R.Scoundrels
Pete Ikusz : PI@csd4.uwm.csd.edu : University of Wisconsin Milwaukee

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (11/15/89)

Pete Ikusz says:

>Sorry, Bob,
> I've worked with, sold, and used Amstrads. I wouldn't let my worst enemy
> buy one. They are junk.

Whew... I've been learning a lot about the way Amstrad is perceived in the
U.K. and Europe...

Here in the U.S., Amstrad computers seem to be among the "second line" of
third-party machines, along with names like Blue Chip and Packard Bell...
we don't have Amstrad stereos and other things.

Since the original question came from the U.K., I'll have to defer to the
experience of those in that marketplace...  I think my point was clear
though, even if the comparison with Amstrad was flawed...

BobR

daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) (11/16/89)

In article <1025@uwm.edu> pi@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Peter J Ikusz) writes:

> If you think Atari is only a toy company go to Europe. You will find out
> how extensively they are using their 'toys'.

Yes.  But Atari *is* still considered being a 'toy' company.
And sure they do act like one.  I know people who have bought equipment
for professional DTP for about $20000-$25000 and not getting support!
(TBV Orebro).
The first machine they got was broken - it took Atari OVER A MONTH
to replace it!
Then, when they finally got the machines - one of the harddisks and
the laser was broken.
They got the laser quite soon after a few, nasty, telephone calls to
Atari Scandinavia.

When I last spoke to them (about a month ago), they were still waiting
for the harddisk.  After FOUR MONTHS.  "We have got no harddisk", Atari
says.  They sent proof to them.  Atari still claims they haven't received
any defect harddisk.

Is this the golden way of treating customers?  Do you think they
will recommend Atari to someone else?  I can tell, they're even talking
about selling the stuff and buy some Mac's - just to get the support and
a friendly smile from the salesman!

--
    Daniel Deimert, Fridstav. 4, S-715 94 Odensbacken, SWEDEN
    Internet:	daniel@pkmab.se