[comp.sys.atari.8bit] help

greg@CVL.UMD.EDU.UUCP (01/17/87)

  I am the owner of a 130XE, and I am looking
 for a termcap for: 850 Express, Amodem,
or Tscope. I think at least one of these
should be more powerful than the BSD termcap
'dumb'. I thank everyone for their time & trouble.
 My address is:
   greg@cvl.umd.edu (ARPA)
   seismo!mimsy!cvl!greg (UUCP)
              Greg Koolbeck
              Center for automationresearch
              UMCP

greg@CVL.UMD.EDU (Greg Koolbeck) (01/18/87)

  I am a relatively new user, owning a 130XE, and I am looking for some
help with the following:
  1) Does anyone have a termcap for 850 Express, Amodem, or Tscope? I
hope that at least one of these is more powerful than the BSD termcap
'dumb'. I would really like to run EMACS from home. It's such a help for
serious work.
  2) Does anyone know how to upgrade a 130XE to 256K ( or more )? I read
somewhere (here, I think) that the Newell upgrade, and ICD's Rambo XL will
not. Is it possible to connect the RAM more directly, since the memory manage-
ment scheme is already in place? If anyone has tried this or has any helpful
information, please send me E-mail.
  3) Thanks to John Sanger and Howard Chu ( and whoever else is responsible)
for the uudecode and binhex/hexbin utilities, and the Turbo basic runtime
package. The binary encoding is just what I've been looking for, and the Basic
package is critical, considering just how much is done for 8-bit machines in
Basic.

 My address is:
    greg@cvl.umd.edu (ARPA)
   seismo!mimsy!cvl!greg (UUCP)
 Thank you all for your time & forbearance.

              Greg Koolbeck
              Center for Automation Research
              University of Maryland @ College Park.

conklin@msudoc.UUCP (Terry Conklin) (01/20/87)

I have faithfully collected every single extended memory upgrade file I
have ever seen and kept them all in a group on the Club II in Detroit. I
am not sure if there is an XE specific upgrade doc file (there are 30 or
something like that.) is online, but if not, I will write up the docs on
it since a friend of mine is proudly tapping away on his 512k XE (does
that make it a 520XE?) and has been for months.

I am also know someone with a 2 Meg XE, though I wont encourage this as
I have yet to justify the intelligence of putting 2 Meg into a 6502
computer with 1/3rd of it's CPU shut off.

Note, for anyone who was interested, that I do not have the specs for
the M: memory management device that I described on the net sometime
back. (Though I would be interested in feedback.)

(In fact, the famous Howard Chu has been known to stop by the Club II ;-)
  _    __________  _
 (_)__/  Club   / (_)  "Where BBSing is more than a hobby;
     / Network /__/       I'm on a mission from god..."
    /_________/
    __/    /__      Terry Conklin @ The Club II (313) 334-8877
  _/        _/                      The Club    (517) 372-3131
 (_)       (_)   UUCP: ..ihnp4!msudoc!conklin, ARPA: conklin@mich-state.edu

btb@ncoast.UUCP (01/26/87)

I recently wanted to get a memory upgrade for my 130xe to give my
Kyan Pascal some more breathing room... the first thing that seemed to
be popular was the 320K ramdisk upgrade for the 130xe that a local
dealer was doing for $99, but when I went in to him, he recommended
something that makes more sense to me... the ICD MIO board which comes
in 256k or 1Meg ramdisk/printer spooler configurations and it can
replace your 850 interface... it also has an SCSI/SASI hard disk port...

With ICD's SpartaDOS (file time/date stamping, subdirectories, batch files,
etc.), the MIO is heaven... (I also bought their USDoubler which speeds
up your 1050 and doubles its density all the while letting you read and
write DOS 2.0 format, and read DOS 2.5... SpartaDOS automatically switches
density... some of you may also know that SpartaDOS also supports all
variety of disk drives for the Atari, including double sided drives.)

In addition to the above, the MIO also gives you complete and instant
control of your disk drive/ramdisk devices... you can instantly switch
the MIO ramdisk to be drive #1 and your 1050 set as drive #1 to be
drive #2 (that is, respond as device D2:).  You can also leave the MIO
turned on when you turn off your machine, and boot from it almost
instantly...  The guy who recommended this upgrade made a very good point,
if anything ever goes wrong with your 130xe, you can just replace it in
this configuration, whereas, if you make some hard wired memory expansion
to your 130xe, and something goes wrong with it, you are stuck.

	This is very good stuff, in my opinion...

		SpartaDOS with the USDoubler is about $60,
		256k MIO board is about $200...

	replacing the chips in the 1050 with the ones that come with
	the USDoubler package is a minor hassle, so unless you are
	fairly experienced at hacking hardware, I would recommend that
	you have your dealer install the new chips.

--
			Brad Banko
			...!decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!btb

"The only thing we have to fear on this planet is man."
			-- Carl Jung, 1875-1961

AXDFM@ACAD2A.BITNET (01/28/88)

  This is a test.  I have never had a BITNET message make it anywhere.
I hope this gets to you.  (I knew your username and that is about it.)

89_LOZIE@UNION.BITNET (05/11/88)

I SEE THAT MOST PROGRAMS AND LETTERS TO THE 8 BIT DIGEST PASS THROUGH
YOUR COMPUTER, SO I THOUGHT THAT YOU MIGHT ALSO HAVE A LISTING OF FILES THAT I M
IGHT PROCESS THROUGH THE COMPUTER NETWORK.  WOULD YOU LET ME KNOW IF THERE IS ON
E AND HOW I MIGHT GET ACCESS TO IT?  THANK YOU.

                                        89_LOZIERP@UNION

merlin@bsu-cs.UUCP (Scott McPheeters) (10/13/88)

	Does anyone know an answer to these to questions?

1. Can a ST mouse be used through the joystick port on a 8bit? And be controled
   by normal joystick comands or paddle comands?

2. Is there a way to binary load a file from basic using like an XIO comand?

3. Is there an XIO comand for the regular load and list comands?

		Thank you for any help with these questions..You can E-mail
an answer or post it if you like....

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
* Scott McPheeters                                                            *
* Ball State U.             UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!merlin    *
* Munice, In                      merlin@bsu-cs.UUCP                          *
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) (10/14/88)

In article <4304@bsu-cs.UUCP> merlin@bsu-cs.UUCP (Scott McPheeters) writes:

>	Does anyone know an answer to these to questions?

   I'll se what I can do.

>1. Can a ST mouse be used through the joystick port on a 8bit? And be controled
>   by normal joystick comands or paddle comands?

   I can be hooked in, but I don't think it has a standard input format. In
other words, you would probably have to write your own handler to read it.

>2. Is there a way to binary load a file from basic using like an XIO comand?

   In MyDOS and SparaDOS (these are the ones I know about) there is an XIO
command to binary load a file. Check your manual. As far as Atari DOS's, it
would be tricky. You would have to read the header data and do a block load.
You probably would have to write at least enough ML code to set up and exec
a CIO call.

>3. Is there an XIO comand for the regular load and list comands?

   No, these are basic functions. You might try printing the command to the
screen and going into screen input mode (Poke 832,13;Poke 832,12 to return
to keyboard mode.) You will need to experiment with it for a bit to get it
to do what you want, so practice with a disposable program.

>		Thank you for any help with these questions..You can E-mail
>an answer or post it if you like....

   No sweat.

					Gary Duzan
					Time  Lord
				    Third Regeneration
				 Atari Enthusiast Extreme

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (10/14/88)

>In article <4304@bsu-cs.UUCP> merlin@bsu-cs.UUCP (Scott McPheeters) writes:
>>1. Can a ST mouse be used through the joystick port on a 8bit? And be controled
>>   by normal joystick comands or paddle comands?

  Some time ago, I posted a trak-ball handler which sits in page 6 and
is controlled by a timer interrupt.  I was told that the ST mouse
works the same as the trak-ball, so my program might work.  Maybe some
kind soul will re-post it from archives, as I have changed computers
and would have to re-type it in.

>>2. Is there a way to binary load a file from basic using like an XIO comand?

  I have a simple assem routine appended to the trak-ball handler in
page 6.  It is called by BASIC USR() commands, and just copies all the
parameters off the stack, sticks them into the right IOCB and calls
CIO.  It passes status back to BASIC by putting it into memory
locations 212/213.  This gives BASIC a lot more functionality, such as
copying binary data to&from disk without SLOW! single-byte PUTs and
GETs.

I just keep that page 6 stuff there all the time; I use the trak-ball
as a mouse.  One button is not enough, though.

jjung@nunki.usc.edu (John Jung) (10/14/88)

In article <4304@bsu-cs.UUCP> merlin@bsu-cs.UUCP (Scott McPheeters) writes:

>	Does anyone know an answer to these to questions?
>
>1. Can a ST mouse be used through the joystick port on a 8bit?

  Yes the 8-bits can use the ST mouse. I don't know how you get the
coordinates, but I used the mouse with the G.O.E. at the Atari Glendale Faire.

>2. Is there a way to binary load a file from basic using like an XIO comand?

  It depends on the DOS. If the DOS is something like DOS 2.0 or DOS 2.5 (from
Atari), I don't think there is any. If there is, I sure as heck don't know
about it. (Then again, I don't go looking for valid XIO commands everyday.)

>3. Is there an XIO comand for the regular load and list comands?

  I don't think so, because you can use those commands from within BASIC code.

						John

conklin@eecae.UUCP (Terry Conklin) (10/14/88)

The Atari ST mouse is identical to the Atari TRUE trackball
device. We realized this one day when we discovered we could
play missle command in true trackball mode (press CNTRL-T)
with the mouse. The votes were not in as to what worked better
but there was certainly some dissent as some preferred the mouse
for city defense.

I'm not sure, un the other hand, what pin the right hand
mouse button activates. Obviouly, it doesn't cause ay
trouble.

Terry Conklin
(517) 372-3131  The Club          Atari Nut? Hardly. I have lots
(313) 334-8877  The Club II       of computers. Some are Ataris.
Zmags now archived on Club II     Some are Amigas. Same thing,
                                  different word size.

ken@hpclkms.HP.COM (Kenneth Sumrall) (10/21/88)

/ hpclkms:comp.sys.atari.8bit / merlin@bsu-cs.UUCP (Scott McPheeters) /  5:51 am  Oct 13, 1988 /

>	Does anyone know an answer to these to questions?
>
>2. Is there a way to binary load a file from basic using like an XIO comand?

Yeah.  In DOS 2.0 and 2.5, you can make a  USR call to an undocumented address
in the File Management System.  I don't remember the address right now, but
can mail (or post) the 1 line of Atari BASIC that is required.  You can also
do binary saves with a similar one line routine.  Of course, it isn't very
portable across different DOS's, so use it appropriately.

I will probably post the USR calls tommorow after I find it.  (I still don't
know where any of my software is after moving four months ago :-)  )

Kenneth Sumrall
ken%hpclkms@hplabs.hp.com
...!hplabs!hpclkms!ken

In article <12418@eecae.UUCP> conklin@eecae.UUCP (Terry Conklin) writes:

>The Atari ST mouse is identical to the Atari TRUE trackball
>device. We realized this one day when we discovered we could

Hate to disagree with you, Terry, but it ain't so. I bought an Atari
trackball for my ST. (Hate the little mouse. The buttons feel awful,
and the plastic nubs on the bottom of the mouse scratch the hell out
of tabletops...) In true trackball mode, without any modification,
the trackball would only move the cursor in the -X and -Y directions.
I.e., after rolling the ball every which way for a few turns, the
cursor vanished somewhere in the upper left corner of the display.

Granted, it's a really simple mod to make it work perfectly on an ST.
But it's not identical, right out of the box.
--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu

RIPR@rsre.mod.UK (RIPR, on UK.MOD.RSRE) (10/22/88)

help
info
ripr%rsre.mod.uk@relay.mod.uk

ken@hpclkms.HP.COM (Kenneth Sumrall) (10/29/88)

/ hpclkms:comp.sys.atari.8bit / ken@hpclkms.HP.COM (Kenneth Sumrall) /  1:07 pm  Oct 20, 1988 /

>>	Does anyone know an answer to these to questions?
>>
>>2. Is there a way to binary load a file from basic using like an XIO comand?
>>
>Yeah.  In DOS 2.0 and 2.5, you can make a  USR call to an undocumented address
>in the File Management System.  I don't remember the address right now, but
>can mail (or post) the 1 line of Atari BASIC that is required.  You can also
>do binary saves with a similar one line routine.  Of course, it isn't very
>portable across different DOS's, so use it appropriately.
>
>I will probably post the USR calls tommorow after I find it.  (I still don't
>know where any of my software is after moving four months ago :-)  )

Ok, so it took me a week to post the USR call.  Also, my memory didn't serve
me very well in my last posting.  I don't have a binary save routine because
the resident DUP routines insist on calling the full DUP package once they have
saved the file.  They DON'T execute a simple RTS.  It would be possible to
POKE an RTS in the appropriate spot before the USR call and POKE it back after
the call, but it is really a hack.  If you really need such a routine, I will
post it, so ask if you need it.

However, here's the routine to binary load in Atari DOS 2.0 (I didn't try 2.5,
but there is a good chance it will work.)

10 DIM A$(4):A$="hLH_":POKE 736,71:POKE 737,22:OPEN #1,4,0,"D:FILENAME.EXT":
X=USR(ADR(A$)):CLOSE #1

The characters shown above in A$ are only approximations.  The real values are:

ASCII VALUE(HEX)                DESCRIPTION
----------------                -----------
   68                           lower case 'h'
   4C                           upper case 'L'
   C8                           inverse upper case 'H'
   15                           control 'U'  (it looks like a fat underscore)

Hope this helps.
BTW, this will execute any init or run vectors, so if there is a run vector,
it may not return to the BASIC program that loaded it.

Kenneth Sumrall
ken%hpclkms@hplabs.hp.com
...!hplabs!hpclkms!ken

merlin@bsu-cs.UUCP (Scott McPheeters) (11/15/88)

	I am having trouble using a program called Speedcalc which is
a speedsheet. Does anyone have any docs. for it if not does anyone know
how to enter formula's? I figured out most of the control keys except
control-d. Does anyone know what that does?? I get some disk movement then
a blank screen.	Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

Please E-mail responses so that everyone doesn't have to read the reply's

------------
Scott McPheeters
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!merlin
merlin@bsu-cs.UUCP

CS245.21@ukpr.uky.EDU (11/21/89)

hi

 I'm for The u of ky and was wondering if anyone could help me with a
problem i am hving with the 8-bit files on the terminator.  I do everything
as it is supposed to be done.  Set type to binary, GET fname, and kermit
it down from our primes to my 8-bit.  The probalem is is that when i go
to unarc these (with superunarc 2.3) it says file not arc format?!?!
I changed my kermit type to binary, and everything, so can anyone help me
with the painful probalem.  As of now, nothing is usable. Any assistance
would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks.

cs245.21@ukpr.uky.edu