[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Atari 800 Monitor Connection

viking@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Jon W. Backstrom) (11/19/89)

I just bought an old Atari 800 on a lark and I wanted to hook it up to
my Commodore monitor.  There is a five-pin DIN connector on the side,
but I don't have a manual to map the pin-outs.

Could some kind person mail me the pin-outs for the Monitor port?  I
assume there are four connections: video/gnd and audio/gnd.

Your help is appreciated!

 Jon W. Backstrom                 "Yah sure...we gonna have fun, you bet!"
 Institute for Digital Arts
 P.O. Box 176                     Internet: viking@silver.bacs.indiana.edu
 Bloomington, IN  47402-0176      UUCP: {ames,rutgers,att}!iuvax!silver!viking

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (11/20/89)

In article <29958@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> viking@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Jon W. Backstrom) writes:
>I just bought an old Atari 800 on a lark and I wanted to hook it up to
>my Commodore monitor.  There is a five-pin DIN connector on the side,
>but I don't have a manual to map the pin-outs.
>
>Could some kind person mail me the pin-outs for the Monitor port?  I
>assume there are four connections: video/gnd and audio/gnd.

Looking at the port itself, you will see:

                   3       1

                  5          4

                       2

Pin 1: Composite Luminance (not connected)
Pin 2: Ground
Pin 3: Audio Out
Pin 4: Compoite video
Pin 5: Composite Chroma (nc)

One goofy thing I found was that with a mono monitor, the screen looks
messed up, like every other pixel was skipped.  I found that by
connecting the composite video to either Pin 1 or 5 (I can't remember
which), it cleared it up.  I don't know if that happens on the XL/XE,
but it did on my 800.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology :BITNET:%clf3678@RITVAX
    |||        ____________                         :GEnie: C.FREEMESSER
    |||       /___    /          (and 8-bit too!)   :USENET: Don't bother,
   / | \   ______/   /                              :        it doesn't work
Call the A.C.O.R.N BBS (716)436-3078, 300/1200 baud :<-or my BBS

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (11/21/89)

Jon W. Backstrom asks:
>I just bought an old Atari 800 on a lark and I wanted to hook it up to
>my Commodore monitor.

>Could some kind person mail me the pin-outs for the Monitor port?

Yer probably not going to believe this Jon.. (I didn't myself, at first)
but the Atari monitor port has exactly the same pinouts as the C-64
does..!

The poor engineers who actually designed them to be compatible this way
were probably fired from their respective companies long ago, but we
can still thank them...

BobR

tle33710@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/21/89)

	Hmmmm.....
	A funny thing happened to me the other day....

	I sent my 130XE to Atari with $65 so they would replace it, right?
Well, I accidentally sent them my monitor cable, too.  Three weeks later (no
complaint here--the check had to clear) the new XE arrived, but the cable
was nowhere to be found.  SO, I trekked on over to Radio Shack, bought a
5-pin DIN male plug and two RCA audio plugs with exposed end wires.

	With the help of ANTIC's tech tips, here's which wires go where:
		        __ __
		       / +-+ \
		    3 |o     o| 1
		    5 | o   o | 4
		       \  o  /
			-----
PIN #
1. Composite Luminance:  Attach the Negative (-, Ground) wire of the Video cord
2. Ground:  Attach the Negative (-, Ground) wire of the Audio cord
3. Audio Output:  Attach the Positive (+) wire of the Audio cord
4. Composite Video:  Attach the Positive (+) wire of the Video cord
5. Composite Chroma:  Unused (sadly)
   NOTE:  I believe there was an article in ANTIC which explained that the
	  Chroma pin was used in the 800, but abandoned in the XL/XE versions,
	  although it is capable of being used with modifications.  I'm still
	  looking for the article....
Tim Elliott                                 | ``Genghis''
University of Illinois at Urpaign/Chambana  |  ``Enoch''  (Name of the Week)
tle33710@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu   		    |   ``Still mourning ANALOG''
"I would never drink from headgear..."  Dieter on Sprockets
                                        Saturday Night Live 11/18/89

viking@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Jon W. Backstrom) (11/21/89)

In article <24307@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:

>Yer probably not going to believe this Jon.. (I didn't myself, at first)
>but the Atari monitor port has exactly the same pinouts as the C-64
>does..!
>
>BobR

I've heard this, but maybe this applies to a different Commodore system.
I have a C-64 (the old brownish-grey model) with a 1702 monitor.  The
cable in the back which connects to the audio/chroma/luminance RCA plugs
is an *8* pin plug...seven around the bottom with one in the middle.

This won't plug into the Atari 800 5-pin socket, of course.  :-)

Was this changed in the C128 or later models?  (Here I sit with a collection
of the worlds first 8-bit systems, but I don't know what has happened since.)

On another note...anyone want to e-mail me to start a conversation?  Now
that I have an Atari 800 with 2 disk drives, I'd like to see how I can
start to make it go (i.e. what software do I need to decode CC65, etc.)

Thanks for all your help!

 Jon W. Backstrom                 "Yah sure...we gonna have fun, you bet!"
 Institute for Digital Arts
 P.O. Box 176                     Internet: viking@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
 Bloomington, IN  47402-0176      UUCP: {ames,rutgers,att}!iuvax!silver!viking

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (11/22/89)

In article <30116@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> viking@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Jon W. Backstrom) writes:
>In article <24307@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>>Yer probably not going to believe this Jon.. (I didn't myself, at first)
>>but the Atari monitor port has exactly the same pinouts as the C-64
>>does..!
>I've heard this, but maybe this applies to a different Commodore system.
>I have a C-64 (the old brownish-grey model) with a 1702 monitor.  The
>cable in the back which connects to the audio/chroma/luminance RCA plugs
>is an *8* pin plug...seven around the bottom with one in the middle.
>...Was this changed in the C128 or later models?
     Well, there was a change, but not in the direction you're thinking.
     The C64 first came with a the five-pin plug which was compatible with
the Atari. This provided composite video and audio, along with a ground or
two. They later introduced a different version which had separated chroma
and luminance pins, for better video on monochrome and (their) colour monitors.
(It really helped, too.). This was the eight-pin plug.
     I had both models; my original C64 got hit by a lightning-based power
surge, and the one I got back in the swap (Commodore once had the same
"repair" policy that Atari has now) had the eight-pin. Fortunately, I could
plug my old five-pin cable into it just fine...
     The C128 also has the eight-pin plug for 40-column output. (I'm still
using my original cable, one I made up from my spare TRS-80 Cassette Cable.
If you're trying to build a monitor cable and need that silly plug, just go
to Radio Shack. I _think_ you can still buy the thing.)
                                                           - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti, Editor, LOW ORBIT | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | CIS 72406,370 |
| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | PLink: Skywise | QLink: Bearclaw |

arthur@pnet02.gryphon.com (Arthur L. Rubin) (11/22/89)

viking@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Jon W. Backstrom) writes:
>In article <24307@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>>
>>Yer probably not going to believe this Jon.. (I didn't myself, at first)
>>but the Atari monitor port has exactly the same pinouts as the C-64
>>does..!
>>
>>BobR
>
>I've heard this, but maybe this applies to a different Commodore system.
>I have a C-64 (the old brownish-grey model) with a 1702 monitor.  The
>cable in the back which connects to the audio/chroma/luminance RCA plugs
>is an *8* pin plug...seven around the bottom with one in the middle.
>
>This won't plug into the Atari 800 5-pin socket, of course.  :-)

The manual for my monitor (Magnavox CM8762) has the same cable diagram for
Atari, Commodore (not C-128), and Texas Instruments computers.
Arthur L. Rubin    (home) (818)286-0981
PO Box 2437
San Gabriel, CA  91778    MCI Mail: ARUBIN 216-5888
Compuserve:  70707,453    INET: arthur@pnet02.gryphon.com
(when pnet02 dies mid-Dec)INET: arubin@pro-sol.cts.com

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (11/23/89)

Jon Backstrom mentioned, concerning the monitor connector on C-64s...

>I have a C-64 (the old brownish-grey model) with a 1702 monitor.  The
>cable in the back which connects to the audio/chroma/luminance RCA plugs
>is an *8* pin plug...seven around the bottom with one in the middle.

Argh.. I thought about this after I'd posted my reply to the earlier
question...    my C-64 is one of the very first  (..like, $500) models..
the monitor connector on it is the same 5-pin DIN connector that my 800
used...  but I remembered (too late) that they changed the connector in
later versions.  Unfortunately I don't have the pinouts for the 8-pin
DIN connector.

(Incidentally, one interesting side-effect of changing the plug was that
it's now possible to plug in the 7-pin DIN *power supply* connector into
the monitor socket on the back of the computer... with the kind of
fireworks you might expect from something like that..!  :)

BobR

ehs@jumbo.dec.com (Ed Satterthwaite) (11/25/89)

In article <1636@ultb.UUCP>, clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
> In article <29958@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> viking@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Jon W. Backstrom) writes:
> >I just bought an old Atari 800 on a lark and I wanted to hook it up to
> >my Commodore monitor.  There is a five-pin DIN connector on the side,
> >
> Looking at the port itself, you will see:

>                    3       1
>
>                   5          4
>
>                        2
>
> Pin 1: Composite Luminance (not connected)
> Pin 2: Ground
> Pin 3: Audio Out
> Pin 4: Compoite video
> Pin 5: Composite Chroma (nc)

Since the original poster has a Commodore monitor, there's a good chance
that the luminance and chroma outputs can be used.  On my 1702, I
connected the audio, luminance, and chroma to the corresponding RCA
jacks on the back of the monitor (ground to all the shields) and ignored
the composite video.  The picture is sharper, especially with things like
80-column terminal emulators, and the colors seem better too.

Ed Satterthwaite
ehs@src.dec.COM  /  {...}!decwrl!ehs