[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Need Printer Repair

jmb@cbnews.ATT.COM (James M. Brohard) (11/29/89)

Does anyone know where I can get a 2 year old Atari XDM121
Daisy-wheel printer repaired?  Any chance of finding a place in
the Central Ohio area?

The symptoms are that last night it just started spewing out garbage
even when doing the self-test.  It almost looks like it is printing
half of a character.

If it is not repairable, what are my options in printers for the
Atart 800 running AtariWriter?  I do not have an 850 interface,
but am willing to add one if it helps.

Thanks for any and all help.
Jim Brohard
cbsds!jmb
or
cbnews!jmb
or
cbdkc1!jmb
or
cblph!jmb

mrp@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (marcus.r.prickett) (11/30/89)

In article <11790@cbnews.ATT.COM>, jmb@cbnews.ATT.COM (James M. Brohard) writes:
> The symptoms are that last night it just started spewing out garbage
> even when doing the self-test.  It almost looks like it is printing
> half of a character.
>
> Thanks for any and all help.
> Jim Brohard

Sounds to me like a problem that I had before with my 1027 printer.  On
the 1027, the strike plate moves in conjuction with the print head.  The
problem was that the rail that the strike plate slides back and forth on
needed to be lubed.  I spent a fair amount of time fiddling around with
the print head before I realized what was going wrong.  I don't know if
the theory of operation is the same for your printer but before you have
somebody else charge you for a lube job, you might want to try cleaning
and re-lubing the rails with a silicone grease.
I first used WD-40 on a cotton swab to clean them then I cleaned off the
WD-40 with alcohol on a swab.  I dried the rails with another swab before
I applied the grease.  I THINK the silicone grease is important because
it doesn't collect dust like oils do.
Hope this helps out...

Marcus Prickett
att!ihlpb!mrp